Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda e, what does everyone think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Had a look at the recent test drive video. We resently bought an old Leaf for the wife as she only needs to do small trips and wanted a cheap and more importantly small electric car.

The 2017 leaf is still a fairly big car with a length of almost the same as a Model 3.

The hona e looks to fit the bill though. 3.9 meters, 4 doors 4 seats and 28k with 130 mile range

I quite like the idea of no wing mirrors. I do wonder if it will be impossible to buy though, with such small numbers being made. And it's a shame Tesla doesn't do a mini...

Reactions: Msjulie
Had a look at the recent test drive video. We resently bought an old Leaf for the wife as she only needs to do small trips and wanted a cheap and more importantly small electric car.

The 2017 leaf is still a fairly big car with a length of almost the same as a Model 3.

The hona e looks to fit the bill though. 3.9 meters, 4 doors 4 seats and 28k with 130 mile range

I quite like the idea of no wing mirrors. I do wonder if it will be impossible to buy though, with such small numbers being made. And it's a shame Tesla doesn't do a mini...
It looks kinda cool and cute. It just comes down to whether you can afford it as a toy/a local run around rather than as a main vehicle.

• Funny
Reactions: Leilani
wing mirrors and rear view mirrors are nice touches... however I cant help but wonder why the wing mirror screens need to be placed where they are, I would have thought the near side display could be placed nearer the driver rather than in its "natural" place at the extreme side of the car.

The big front display I'm mixed on... the GUI on it looks pretty horrid, and if you cant view much on the screens then whats the point.

the big killers are the range and the exterior look. neither practical or pretty.

We like the look, and its the right size for a second car. But its competing with everything from the little Dacia's up to pretty swish Fiesta's and so on. Which are ~£7k up to £20 (although at that your Fiesta is more likely to be a main car I believe). Its an awful lot for a class of cars that are already pretty frugal on the petrol side. If it was low £20's I could be persuaded, but this is more expensive than a reasonable family golf for something that is very clearly a second car.

So not for us, although I would after a lottery win...

luckily our current swift has a good few years left while Tesla pull their fingers out and make a small car. I do think range isn't an issue on a small car like this. rated 150, actual 100 is plenty. As long as the charge speed can me maintained. If you could get that 100 miles back in 5-10 mins (like my M3 does) then if you really needed to you could manage x-country trips, in a pinch. You don't plan a long trip in these cars (as a second car at least), but I wouldn't want to remove the possibility completely.

I think it's a lost opportunity. Makes me wonder if they ever really wanted to produce anything more than a cute second car that wouldn't challenge the status quo.

I may be wrong but I also question this "city car" concept. I have owned many small cars from old style Minis onwards that some people would class as "city cars". However, the use of the vehicle in question in my case was never exclusively used in a city ... it was my only car so even the old Minis hammered down the motorway to Cornwall or to Inverness! We need EVs that are compact but, if needed, can do long-range as well as city driving. It's not going to be sustainable in the future for most households to run multiple cars. (ok ok ... we've still got the ICE Fiesta ... but we could manage with just the M3 now ... we're just fortunate :rolleyes:)

I think it's a lost opportunity. Makes me wonder if they ever really wanted to produce anything more than a cute second car that wouldn't challenge the status quo.

I may be wrong but I also question this "city car" concept. I have owned many small cars from old style Minis onwards that some people would class as "city cars". However, the use of the vehicle in question in my case was never exclusively used in a city ... it was my only car so even the old Minis hammered down the motorway to Cornwall or to Inverness! We need EVs that are compact but, if needed, can do long-range as well as city driving. It's not going to be sustainable in the future for most households to run multiple cars. (ok ok ... we've still got the ICE Fiesta ... but we could manage with just the M3 now ... we're just fortunate :rolleyes:)

They make great compromise. It's a Clarity PHEV. But for some reason, people don't buy PHEVs. The biggest seller of all time was the Chevrolet Volt/Opel Ampera? but even that did not sell enough to justify keeping them in production. The Prius PHEV will overtake it soon, but it's not a big seller for Toyota.

They make great compromise. It's a Clarity PHEV. But for some reason, people don't buy PHEVs. The biggest seller of all time was the Chevrolet Volt/Opel Ampera? but even that did not sell enough to justify keeping them in production. The Prius PHEV will overtake it soon, but it's not a big seller for Toyota.

We're talking about this:

honda.png

Yes.

You said it did not have enough range. The pragmatic solution is a commuter range EV with a gasoline backup for long trips. Honda and many others have tried the practical solution and people didn't want them.

They will buy short range EVs and long range EVs, but few people want a better solution.

We are talking about EVs not petrol/gasoline cars. We are surely beyond having to use ICEs. Tesla and others have proved it can be done. We needed the option of the hybrid as a stopgap but we are now looking for something different in a small car package ... unfortunately Honda didn't deliver. I think it looks the part but was really hoping it would be more than a "second car" or "city car".

Reactions: house9
We are talking about EVs not petrol/gasoline cars. We are surely beyond having to use ICEs. Tesla and others have proved it can be done. We needed the option of the hybrid as a stopgap but we are now looking for something different in a small car package ... unfortunately Honda didn't deliver. I think it looks the part but was really hoping it would be more than a "second car" or "city car".

I'm not EV religious, I'm just an EV owner and enthusiast since 2012. We have some Volts, and they are nearly always in Pure EV mode. They do not burn a drop of gas in a normal month. It's only when you exceed 50 miles do they use any gas. It's like having two cars. A pure EV when commuting, or a hybrid when traveling long distances.

Lucky enough to be invited for a first look when they had it in a studio a few months back.
Couldn’t drive it I’m afraid, but very impressed with the size, layout and all the toys on offer.
And the outside fit and finish was as you would expect from a normal production Honda.
I actually was one of the first to have one on order hence the invite above, but circumstances have changed!

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy