Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hope everyone’s Sunday is going better than ours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Uninsured Motorist/Property Damage coverage, so my insurance will pay for it and go after the driver via subrogation. Different insurance companies have different approaches to this, but given how high the cost to repair/replace is, I guess my insurance company will end up suing him.

It is illegal to drive uninsured, but typically only results in a citation. The driver of the car that rear-ended us presented insurance at the scene of the accident, but his insurance company says the policy was no longer valid. Truth of the matter is law enforcement have way more to deal with these days than get themselves in the middle of accidents unless it's very serious or fatal.
I've been hit multiple times by uninsured motorists over the years.
People buy 3 month insurance policies, and let them expire or stop making payments.
Really, the State should require minimum 6 month policies, fully paid upfront, and automatically suspend licenses if no evidence of renewal is submitted.
It won't stop the uninsured and may in fact increase it, but at least something legally actionable would come of it.

I've been hit multiple times by uninsured motorists over the years.
People buy 3 month insurance policies, and let them expire or stop making payments.
Really, the State should require minimum 6 month policies, fully paid upfront, and automatically suspend licenses if no evidence of renewal is submitted.
It won't stop the uninsured and may in fact increase it, but at least something legally actionable would come of it.
100% Absolutely agree. The ones without insurance are the most reckless on the roads, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_TV
Initial estimates just came in at 15k from Tesla Collision, so doubt it'll get totaled. Hopefully they fix it as new, and I'll file a diminished value claim with insurance as well.
Sorry to see this accident. I was rear-ended in late 2021. The damage doesn't look as bad as yours but it appears to be the same general parts. I had a rear hatch, two or three bumper pieces, and some crash bar under the bumper replaced. Repair cost was just under $7,000 but took a month and an half. I was able to drive my car for 2 months while waiting for my appointment and the hatch, while displaced a bit, actually still worked. One thing that was pretty dumb was that apparently it took 3 tries to get a new rear hatch shipped to the body shop without damage during transportation. I knew this because Tesla sends out emails with tracking information for parts ordered for your car. When it had notes on the tracking page stating damaged part, I called the body shop to confirm. Hopefully they package the parts better for transportation now.

About diminished value, my understanding is that you can only claim it against the other driver's insurance and it can't be your own insurance. Against an uninsured driver, I think you basically have to sue them for diminished value claim. But I'm sure you will or have already looked into this, so maybe I'm off on it.

Anyway, mine got repaired and has been good as new. While your damage looks worse, it seems to be the same general parts so hopefully the repairs will be good. Best of luck to get it taken care of in a reasonable amount of time.

IMG_9935.jpeg
IMG_9936.jpeg

Reactions: explosive0