Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hope everyone’s Sunday is going better than ours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems very low
Make sure the body shop is Tesla authorized, experienced
The body shop will negotiate with Geico on your behalf
Never try to negotiate with insurance companies, we are not experts
Yup. I'm actually having it sent to an actual Tesla Collision Center, and not one of the authorized third-party shops. I wonder if I should have dealt with the at-fault party's insurance directly vs my insurance.

Sorry about your accident. I agree with an earlier post: the passenger's head should NOT have hit the dash if the passenger was wearing a seatbelt.

Is the car drivable? Can you store it (in a garage, protected from the elements) until they're able to do a tear-down to see further damage?
There's no need for it to sit somewhere else, out in an open parking lot, for "x" number of days.

Reactions: explosive0
Sorry about your accident. I agree with an earlier post: the passenger's head should NOT have hit the dash if the passenger was wearing a seatbelt.

Is the car drivable? Can you store it (in a garage, protected from the elements) until they're able to do a tear-down to see further damage?
There's no need for it to sit somewhere else, out in an open parking lot, for "x" number of days.
My theory is that when I slowed rather suddenly from the guy in front of me slowing, she leaned forward a bit, and then the impact from being rear-ended propelled her. It happened so fast that we really can't tell if she hit her head on the dash or the corner of the screen.

Not sure if it's drivable - I remember it throwing some messages about the brakes when I tried to move it after the accident, so I had it towed to the house, and it's getting towed to the Tesla Collision Center tomorrow.

Last edited:
in this case I understand that your insurance covers.
But what happened to the guy who hit you?
Is your insurance company pays you and then go after him?
He got no insurance, is that mean his license would be suspended? Can you drive without insurance to begin with?
I have Uninsured Motorist/Property Damage coverage, so my insurance will pay for it and go after the driver via subrogation. Different insurance companies have different approaches to this, but given how high the cost to repair/replace is, I guess my insurance company will end up suing him.

It is illegal to drive uninsured, but typically only results in a citation. The driver of the car that rear-ended us presented insurance at the scene of the accident, but his insurance company says the policy was no longer valid. Truth of the matter is law enforcement have way more to deal with these days than get themselves in the middle of accidents unless it's very serious or fatal.

That is $15k+ damage. I had just a hatch replacement and it was ~$12K. Glad everyone is ok and hope your insurance makes you whole.

Not sure how your insurance treats rental car coverage but mine was 45 days and repairs took several weeks longer to get all the parts.

It is a frustrating experience for many reasons.

We got rear-ended a few miles from home. I think I’m ok, but my wife came off a little worse. She bumped her head on the dash so we’re having her checked out.

Not sure if this is write-off territory, but hoping for a quick resolution whatever route insurance company decides.

View attachment 974754

Ugh that stinks, only positive is that it looks higher up. There is a guy on youtube that had a similar hit but he had the tow hitch and was a little lower near the diffuser and the impact totalled him out since the tow hitch bent the connecting components.

Hopefully they fix it good as new (unless u want it gone now) either way good luck!

Here’s mine from nine months ago
Newbie EV driver and backed into the SC crash pole :(

1695389281460.png

1695389230764.png

Up high, I was lucky
They fixed it, crazy $12K
Tesla authorized and my insurance authorized body shop was flawless
The repair last spring did take awhile

That is $15k+ damage. I had just a hatch replacement and it was ~$12K. Glad everyone is ok and hope your insurance makes you whole.

Not sure how your insurance treats rental car coverage but mine was 45 days and repairs took several weeks longer to get all the parts.

It is a frustrating experience for many reasons.
GEICO provides only up to 30 days, so if it goes over 30 days, we may have to pay out of pocket since the other driver is uninsured (at least from what we're being told). Hoping it doesn't get to that.

Ugh that stinks, only positive is that it looks higher up. There is a guy on youtube that had a similar hit but he had the tow hitch and was a little lower near the diffuser and the impact totalled him out since the tow hitch bent the connecting components.

Hopefully they fix it good as new (unless u want it gone now) either way good luck!
Initial estimates just came in at 15k from Tesla Collision, so doubt it'll get totaled. Hopefully they fix it as new, and I'll file a diminished value claim with insurance as well.

Reactions: richyrich and TypeX
Guys, also be aware rental reimbursement is for the average city cost not places like NY metro and others with above average costs. Enterprise is the worst rip off telling you it’s 100% insurance covered and at the end of 30 days you owe $300 which was the delta for the more expensive locations over the daily reimbursement of say $30 per day, meaning the end result was $40 per day.
Buyer beware

If your Y is safe and drivable, I’d ask them to order all parts and you drive your Y until it is your turn for repair. Then start the rental.

They will disassemble and inevitably find more damage and have to order more parts. At that point they won’t likely reassemble and give your car back.

Fortunately I was able to take my kid’s car until they were done.

If your Y is safe and drivable, I’d ask them to order all parts and you drive your Y until it is your turn for repair. Then start the rental.

They will disassemble and inevitably find more damage and have to order more parts. At that point they won’t likely reassemble and give your car back.

Totally agree with this statement. I'd rather keep my wrecked car in MY garage rather than stored in a lot/field, etc...

Yikes. My assumption was that it's already been taking apart, at least that's what the Service Advisor sounded like. I'd have been very wary of driving it, since it started showing a brake malfunction warning right after the accident.