Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horn and dashcam skipping bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is definitely a bug with the horn and camera. Even though I have manual recording turned on and save on honk disabled, if you beep your horn at someone it skips that part of the footage. Which is obviously the most crucial moment you would need to review after an accident.

I thought it used to just happen when save on honk was turned on but no it freezes and skips on manual too.

Anyone else noticed this? The only solution is to not use your horn.

It’s been around for ever. And not just related to the horn press, except that horn press function just highlights the issue as the previous workaround was to not record the clip until we’ll after the actual event - not really what you do when needing to press the horn.

It’s been around for ever. And not just related to the horn press, except that horn press function just highlights the issue as the previous workaround was to not record the clip until we’ll after the actual event - not really what you do when needing to press the horn.

Thanks. Looks like the cameras will never be a replacement for a dedicated dashcam.

Looks like the cameras will never be a replacement for a dedicated dashcam.

Yup, and dashcam will use a fraction of the energy.

However, the Tesla dashcam has views e.g. down the side of the car which may help with some lowlife keying the car, which might not be possible to attribute using add-on dashcam.

I had a stone chucked up by a lorry that cracked my screen. Going through frame-by-frame the resolution was too grainy to actually see the stone. Add-on dashcam might have been better in that regard too.

From what I’ve been led to believe you basically have to press the horn slightly after the event, to avoid skipping etc. Pressing it when the incident happens, which is the instinctive thing to do, is actually counter productive.

From what I’ve been led to believe you basically have to press the horn slightly after the event, to avoid skipping etc. Pressing it when the incident happens, which is the instinctive thing to do, is actually counter productive.
But the horn should not affect the recording at all if it’s not turned on in the options to record. Why is it making the recording jump when the only recording happening is the one hour loop one.

Recording and saving a recording are two different things.

At a simplistic level… and also based on how it use to work when we had to remove the media from the car to view a clip (so had to access raw folder video files thankfully unnecessary these days no matter how crude the in car viewer is) so may have changed slightly.

If you have dash cam enabled then it will ‘continuously’ record the last 60 minutes. More than 60 old footage will be ‘overwritten’ - as I said, a simplistic view.

However, it doesn’t actually record continuously. It mostly records in approx 60 second chunks but as it takes a little time to move the approx ‘60’ second chunk to some place a bit more permanent like your memory card, you don’t actually get the whole ‘60’ second chunk - you might get a few seconds less than 60 seconds, then a few seconds gap before the next ‘60’ seconds starts.

As mentioned before, recording and saving is not the same thing. If you do not save these ‘60’ second clips then they will be lost.

To save a clip, historically you had to press a button on the screen. But more recently Tesla added the option, if enabled, to press the horn to also save the clip and even more recently an external serious event (believed to be initiated when airbags are deployed) to do the same.

When you save a clip you effectively cut short the ‘60’ second process. This will then move the last iirc 10 minutes worth (ie 10) of recorded clips to a new area on media card iirc ‘saved clips’ folder and more recently add a bit of meta data like location.

However, like when the 60 second cycle skips a few seconds the save clip action will also take a finite amount of time. So in addition to the 60 second clips only really being 57/58 seconds long with a few seconds gap, you also get disruption from saving the clip.

This all adds up to the potential of missing exactly what you intended to record.

The work around, wait a short amount of time until we’ll after the incident and hope that it didn’t occur in one of the missing gaps in the 60 second cycle. Which is unfortunately not necessarily how you would time using the horn.

• Informative
Reactions: Pommie and Durzel
I think the OP is saying that they’ve turned off the setting that saves the recording at horn press. But when they reviews their recordings, there is a gap in the footage around the time the horn was pressed, even though that’s not necessarily the end of the footage or the point they hit save on the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigermad
I think the OP is saying that they’ve turned off the setting that saves the recording at horn press. But when they reviews their recordings, there is a gap in the footage around the time the horn was pressed, even though that’s not necessarily the end of the footage or the point they hit save on the screen.
Thanks this is it. I didn’t hit save or anything and it skipped the exact place I beeped. I will have to do some more tests when no one is around.

However, like when the 60 second cycle skips a few seconds the save clip action will also take a finite amount of time. So in addition to the 60 second clips only really being 57/58 seconds long with a few seconds gap, you also get disruption from saving the clip.

That's what it seems to do ... but really in this day and age we shouldn't have to wait for one process to finish before another one can start ... and there must be a buffer surely ... it's really clunky, to put it kindly.

There will be a several second gap approx every minute irrespective of whether you save the clip or not.

It’s easy enough to test by viewing the media drive contents on a PC etc and looking at the iirc ‘saved clips’ folder contents then looking at the length, start and end points of consecutive clips.

You need to be quick though as unless you save a clip the recording rolling 60 minute buffer will still potentially be ‘deleting’ old footage.

Things may have changed slightly but it would seem from current behaviour that it still is behaving in a similar way.

That's what it seems to do ... but really in this day and age we shouldn't have to wait for one process to finish before another one can start ... and there must be a buffer surely ... it's really clunky, to put it kindly.

Quite. I did see somewhere exactly what tools Tesla were (pre meta data days) using for this process and it was pretty much off the shelf open source code, nothing if any Tesla specific so they basically just deployed as simple a solution as they could.

I had hoped that with the in car viewer, meta data and other ways to trigger a save that things had been optimised a bit more, but whilst not having checked the media for quite some time (I use to rotate two media drives if I had an incident that I wanted to view) it does appear to be behaving little if any differently.

As in previous post, easy enough to check by removing the media drive and looking at the contents of the folders.