Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
My Model S consistently shows about 10 degrees warmer than my Model 3.

Both cars parked in garage next to each other. No climate control is on. Day or night.
Both cars are plugged in, timed to start charge 3 hours from now (but won't because set to 90%), and are at 90% charge.

(different batteries and its housekeeping?)

Right now for example the S shows 75 deg, the 3 shows 62 degrees. Outside of garage is currently 57 degrees (nighttime)

You can get two thermometers that are known to be accutate and place them in each car to see what they register to see if the S is really warmer or just has different calibration in the thermometer between them.

Ok, placed in each car, on passenger seat, closed and locked cars, waited
S = 71 F
3 = 62 F

Switched Thermometers, placed in same location, locked cars, waited 10 minutes
S = 72 F
3 = 62 F
Done early morning before daylight.

Another thing I noticed is in the S, I remotely set temp down to 60, let it adjust, turn off air. Temp starts rising.

Discovered source of temp difference......

My wife leaves the steering wheel heater on. Our normal outside temperature hovers between 55 to 70 degrees year round. So something as simple as a steering wheel heater can conceivably raise the temp that much.

Turned off steering wheel heater - temp dropped to almost same as the Model 3's temp.