Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A worthwhile effort at the expense of a modest couple of miles range - with A/C on mode. It seemed to manage to keep temp around the 37/38C mark with windows up. Similar sunny conditions yesterday, car peaked around 51C with windows venting. :thumbsup

Lets see if it kicks in tomorrow.

It also strengthens our observations that A/C is not a major range killer.

Reactions: Durzel
Mines been awake most of today. I keep getting notification from teslfi saying it could not sleep. Had not realised that it was to do with Temp until today.
Anybody tried sun shades? Tesla own brand or others?
I would rather it didn't chew though 6 miles a day just sitting there.

• Informative
Lets see if it kicks in tomorrow.

The car is making all the right noises for it to be on and temperature seems to be keeping to cooler limits. Similar conditions to last week, so would expect similar temperatures.

Not touched the car since before yesterdays cooling, although did walk past with phone, but it was behaving that way before I went past.

Apart from temperature, I can't find evidence of it running on TeslaFi or raw data feed (hence me spotting API version change). AC, fan, various conditioning etc.

Definitely ran again today with no drive or user intervention. Between 10:44 and 15:34, inside temp peaked at just over 38C. Based upon similar recent days, it would have been low 50's.

Approx 2% loss, 2-1/2 miles for whole day to date, of which the above period accounted for 1-3/4 miles, less than 1% on LR AWD. A useful feature to keep enabled imho. Tomorrow I may see how it works in conjunction with venting.

A sun shade for the windscreen would seem to be a useful enhancement to look out for. Not sure if we still have an old one from previous car that was occasionally used in winter.

• Informative
Surprised to hear people’s cars staying awake for hours doing this, as mine doesn’t. It has been consistently waking itself up for around 30 minutes (I assume part of this time is falling asleep) and then going back to sleep, repeating 3-4 times at the hottest part of the day. It’s done this the last couple of days, around the same times and for roughly the same durations.

Where the car is parked it is fortunately in shade until mid/late afternoon, so it starts to get warm inside from then.

Wish I could see this information in TeslaMate though (specifically fans and/or AC coming on). Maybe I need to stand by the car when I think it’s going to wake up.

What I have noticed, though, is that after 12 hours if I don’t wake the car up manually once it will carry on sleeping. Once woken once, the 12 hour period that it will auto-wake to cool down resets. That’s been my experience anyway.

68CA8212-73B8-4FD6-A09C-C90ABC7DB427.jpeg

Approx 2% loss, 2-1/2 miles for whole day to date, of which the above period accounted for 1-3/4 miles, less than 1% on LR AWD. A useful feature to keep enabled imho. Tomorrow I may see how it works in conjunction with venting.

Car idled between 10:19 AM 3:37 PM today, less than 1% range loss accounted for during that period (everything is rounded to nearest 1% so accurate figure not available). Car seemed to peak just over 38C so similar to previous days, similar full sun conditions but a bit of a breeze today that we have not had previous two days. Outside temperature recorded around 27C during the same period but still rising - similar to previous days. Car windows were venting throughout this period as an experiment. Little evidence of any positive or negative benefit. In future, I won't bother with venting due to the implications of it not going according to plan.

Over three days, vehicle was not touched except today window venting via app. Cabin overheat looks beneficial at expense of a little range loss. Car went from 80% to 74% so around 2% per day to keep temp below 39C rather than allow high 40's, low 50's as witnessed recently.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and Durzel
Thanks for that info.

It seems if the car is woken up by something (opening the app on phone, API, etc) then it will reset the 12 hour timer for cabin cooling.

In my experience, if I’ve not woken the car up manually after 12 hours then it won’t do the automatic cooling, but once woken up once it will.

It has been particularly hot today here, so my car hasn’t slept once it’s got up to temperature. It has been “falling asleep” for about an hour and a half, and I can hear the fans kicking in and stopping. The feature looks like it will keep the car awake (or at least falling asleep) to keep the temperature down.

It does look like the feature works. Personally I’d rather it lose 2% range a day if that’s what it comes to, and keep the cabin below 40C, just for my own peace of mind.

One reason for the car not sleeping seems to be down to active battery management. My car has been sleeping for much longer periods in the cooler recent days.

TeslaFi explains this apparently normal behaviour. Enabling sleep settings to limit vampire loss. / Knowledge base / TeslaFi

upload_2020-6-4_20-35-58.png

Do you happen to know how many times it woke itself up? (via TeslaMate, TeslaFi or whatever).

It was continuously awake for approx 6 hours. ~ 10:11-16:16

Mines been awake most of today. I keep getting notification from teslfi saying it could not sleep. Had not realised that it was to do with Temp until today.

Surprised to hear people’s cars staying awake for hours doing this, as mine doesn’t. It has been consistently waking itself up for around 30 minutes (I assume part of this time is falling asleep) and then going back to sleep, repeating 3-4 times at the hottest part of the day. It’s done this the last couple of days, around the same times and for roughly the same durations.

Where the car is parked it is fortunately in shade until mid/late afternoon, so it starts to get warm inside from then.

IME recently the car was “falling asleep” for 2+ hours on the hottest days.

Essentially what would happen for me is that it would wake up mid/late afternoon to cool down from 40C (I presume), cool down a bit, start to fall asleep but before it can it’s gone above 40C again, and the cycle restarts. I stood next to my car for a while when it was clearly running the fans, stopping, then running them again a few minutes later.

Once it got sufficiently cool enough - around 7pm in my case - the sleep process would “stick” and it would actually fall asleep.

The system seems smart enough to know that there’s no point actually going to sleep while the car is too hot. If the car is in direct sunlight on hot days (25C+) I would assume it will stay online (falling asleep) until such time as the temperature drops, if Cabin Overheat Protection is enabled.

Update on battery usage, in nearly 7 days mixed weather conditions, since last charge, with cabin overheat protection A/C on, sentry off, the car has indicated a 5% battery loss.

So averaging at < 1%/day battery loss with cabin overheat protection A/C feature turned on. Not one of the days, did I notice via TeslaFi logs, a cabin temperature >39C. The days preceding this, cabin temperature was regularly exceeding 50C.

I had scheduled a TeslaFi wakup for 9:30am to wake the car to allow cabin overheat to run as since 2020.20, the car is in deep sleep and does not wake to thermally manage things.

This worked well until around 4:30pm when the car thought that the car had cooled sufficiently so it went back to sleep. I manually woke from the app just after 6 only to find that cabin temp had crept back up to 45C.

So it nearly worked... but probably worthwhile keeping it in the schedule for now.

Update on battery usage, in nearly 7 days mixed weather conditions, since last charge, with cabin overheat protection A/C on, sentry off, the car has indicated a 5% battery loss.

So averaging at < 1%/day battery loss with cabin overheat protection A/C feature turned on. Not one of the days, did I notice via TeslaFi logs, a cabin temperature >39C. The days preceding this, cabin temperature was regularly exceeding 50C.
I’m seeing pretty much the same, <1% battery usage today being awake for 5 hours keeping the cabin below 40C. Definitely worth the minor range loss to protect the interior, even if it is psychosomatic.

I don’t have Sentry on at home so that was the only thing keeping the car awake.

I've turned it off as of yesterday evening, yesterday I had to move my car 9:51, it didn't manage to get back to sleep until I disabled cabin overheat protection at 18:52! That lost 4% battery.

It seems if you open the car up to do something, rather than just leave it alone it stays awake for the majority of the day when it's really hot just running cabin overheat protection.

My car isn't in the shade at all though, so it's pretty much getting the sun all day

Yes, once it kicks in it will remain awake ("falling asleep") for several hours in these temperatures, and they are up around the top end of the temperatures by 10am!

In my experience of the last couple of days, with my car in the shade until around 14:30, it would wake up around 15:15 and then stay awake for about 5 hours periodically running the A/C.

I'm surprised you lost 4% over that time though, my car has pretty much lost 1% a day the past two days. Do you have Sentry mode on too?

Yes, once it kicks in it will remain awake ("falling asleep") for several hours in these temperatures, and they are up around the top end of the temperatures by 10am!

In my experience of the last couple of days, with my car in the shade until around 14:30, it would wake up around 15:15 and then stay awake for about 5 hours periodically running the A/C.

I'm surprised you lost 4% over that time though, my car has pretty much lost 1% a day the past two days. Do you have Sentry mode on too?

Sentry is disabled at home, must just be how hot it was yesterday you could hear the car running the hvac all the time

I've turned it off as of yesterday evening, yesterday I had to move my car 9:51, it didn't manage to get back to sleep until I disabled cabin overheat protection at 18:52! That lost 4% battery.

Ours is back sleeping again. I was going to write and say that ours seemed to have lost a lot more today than when I was paying attention on very hot days last month, but its not by so much as I first thought.

2%/7 miles today vs 2%/4 miles the hot days last month. Its just more noticeable now as its staying awake constantly rather than awake/sleep half a dozen times during the day. But sun is slightly more overhead and it is a few degrees hotter.

I'll see what the figures are like over a longer period of mixed days. But potentially 6% down already in 2 days, so it is taking more of a hit than the start of the month heatwave.