Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@moorelin - Very cool, but am I the only one who can't understand how a car is going to access a supercharger on that back support??

Probably wasn't very clear. The big unit on the concrete structure is the transformer. The 5 smaller supports are for the (5?) superchargers. The bays will be lined up to the left in the photo, behind the lift vehicle and continuing along the edge of the parking lot.

Maybe I'm just dumb but I still don't get it. If those are supports for electronics, rather than supports for bays, then why are they spaced so unevenly? The front two look really close together whereas the one at the back is quite a distance from any of the others? Still, nice to have something to talk about while we are waiting for the superchargers to arrive!

Maybe I'm just dumb but I still don't get it. If those are supports for electronics, rather than supports for bays, then why are they spaced so unevenly? The front two look really close together whereas the one at the back is quite a distance from any of the others? Still, nice to have something to talk about while we are waiting for the superchargers to arrive!

I can't claim to be an expert, but as I understand it the Columbus site will be pretty much like the Harris Ranch one in these photos that I found online. The big gray box is the transformer and the white boxes are the superchargers. There is also another unit of some sort behind the SCs, and a total of 6 bays for the 3 SCs. I am now assuming that 1 or more of the supports at the Columbus site will also be for this other unit, so it will probably also end up with 3SCs and 6 bays (or 2 and 4?).

Based on what the contractor said about storm specs, I guess the Columbus transformer may be elevated to avoid flooding.

userUpload-2.jpg
userUpload-1.jpg

Hmm.. Those circle things in your photo of Columbus don't really look like anything in the Harris Ranch photos. I'm guessing, but I think they may be foundations for five circular columns that will have a platform above them, with the Superchargers then sitting on top of the platform. Fairly serious flood protection if so!

Hmm.. Those circle things in your photo of Columbus don't really look like anything in the Harris Ranch photos. I'm guessing, but I think they may be foundations for five circular columns that will have a platform above them, with the Superchargers then sitting on top of the platform. Fairly serious flood protection if so!

Anybody have pics of Florida construction to compare?

From Post Pic #380, The circular concrete inside sono-tube with extended rebar are piers (and leave-outs as they were placed in the slab), but they appear to be located very closely together, and sort of an odd arrangement, as there surely will be some stairs to service them.
The green stub-ups are some sort of electrical conduit, perhaps for the supercharger boxes. The Transformer is ALREADY installed on its own pedestal, at least +48" elevation from surrounding area, so it is probably existing to serve the adjacent Hotel.
So now, maybe the Lull that is pictured (still in #380) actually makes sense, because it will position and set (very heavy electrical) equipment into their final locations over 4 feet above ground, with little maneuvering space.
Perhaps the immediate vicinity in Columbus is flood-prone during heavy rains and Gulf driven storms.

Electricity and water don't mix, best to raise ALL OF THEM them up out of possible danger.

The pier caps have nothing to do with the location of the actual charging infrastructure seen clearly in #385, white module which has the Tesla sign and the electrical cord.

Hey all, I'm in NY for the Travers this weekend so I don't have time to do a full write up until I get back but figured I would post the interview here in the meantime:

http://www.khou.com/news/national/T...-rating-of-any-car-ever-tested-220407291.html

They cut out about 95% of what I said but overall I think it's still pretty positive. If anything, KHOU is a little late to the gate on this story but since Tesla asked me to do it I decided it was the right thing to do.

Watch out on Bellaire Blvd

Driving in to Texas Medical Center through South Side Place, which many of you will know has very aggressive policing, I was first at a red light. I took off pretty fast, but not all the way down and I got to only a few miles over the 35 MPH limit. I didn't see where he came from, but a couple of blocks later an SSP cruiser came up very fast (well over the limit) and tailgated me aggressively. No lights, but he was definitely within 5 feet at times. I obviously maintained a safe and steady pace, and he left after a few blocks (ridiculously small jurisdiction for this micro town). Clearly harassment.

Houston Coffee and Cars is again this weekend--we had a GREAT turnout last time with 8 cars, but we hope to do even better this time. Additionally, we want to do an informal meetup afterwards at Saint Arnold Brewing Company since Coffee and Cars is too early or too far for many folks. We will try to get there by 10:30am (the brewery opens at 11am, but the line usually starts at 10:30am and there are limited tables).

Saint Arnold Brewing Company:

1) Admission: $8/person: Includes tour & souvenir glass
2) Consider bringing your own chair. They have limited seating.
3) You are free to bring your own food, but they have some.
4) Tours are at noon, 1pm, and 2pm. (Closed toe shoes required.)
5) I asked if they could block out parking for us, but there is limited parking behind their gate. If the primary lot is full (likely, it is small), there is an auxiliary lot or you can park on the street.

Address: 2000 Lyons Ave., Houston, TX 77020
Phone: 713.686.9494

See their website for more details.

Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Coffee and Cars:

Did you just get your car in the last month or two? Would you like to meet some other owners? Would you like to share your love of Tesla with others? Then come on out!

Details:

http://www.houstoncoffeeandcars.com/
https://www.facebook.com/coffeeandcars

NEXT GATHERING: AUG 3rd, 2013 Join us the first Saturday morning the month for our next gathering. From 8:00AM until 10:00AM at Vintage Park.

All are welcome to come by and attend. If you are bringing a Tesla, please try to arrive by 6:30am (!) so you can get a space and we can park together. We will attempt to park next to:

We Got Your Back Chiropractic - http://wegotyourbackchiropractic.com
110 Vintage Park Blvd. Suite D Building J
Houston, Texas 77070

If you think you will be coming, can you let me know by Private Message? I need to know how many spaces to block off and how many to hold for late arrivals. We will likely do the driveout at 9:30am so remember to set your active air suspension to LOW for that if you have it. Driveout is back through the main gate--if you can, try to keep the cars together so we all show up together on the videos.

We hope to see you there!!

Map (see red arrow):

View attachment 27000

Stephen,
I'm interest in coming out to Houston Coffee and Cars next Saturday, although I may not make it there until after 8am. Can you reserve a spot for me? Thanks

Sure, @HP832, we can save you a spot. Try to arrive before 8am, though--that's when C&C official starts, and lots of people will be walking around, and it might be hard for you to drive through to our area. 7:30am is really the latest time you can comfortably arrive, but we can try. Here are all the details:

Houston Coffee and Cars:

Coffee and Cars is again this weekend--we had a GREAT turnout last time!

Did you just get your car in the last month or two? Would you like to meet some other owners? Would you like to share your love of Tesla with others? Then come on out!

Details:

NEXT GATHERING: SEP 7th, 2013 Join us the first Saturday morning the month for our next gathering. From 8:00AM until 10:00AM at Vintage Park.

All are welcome to come by and attend. If you are bringing a Tesla, please try to arrive by 6:30am (!) so you can get a space and we can park together. We will attempt to park next to:

Houston, Texas 77070

If you think you will be coming, can you let me know by Private Message? I need to know how many spaces to block off and how many to hold for late arrivals. We will likely do the driveout at 9:30am so remember to set your active air suspension to LOW for that if you have it. Driveout is back through the main gate--if you can, try to keep the cars together so we all show up together on the videos.

Map (see red arrow):

attachment.php?attachmentid=27000.jpg

Last edited:
Hey did anyone else get this in the mail?

IMG_20130904_172409388 (2).jpg

I think I got it for the interview I did but it was not accompanied by a note so I'm not sure. Either way, I have never been more excited about a gift in my life! How did they know I only wear 7s??? Did my car tell them???

Also I'm making an appointment for a wheels off detail at Vive-Houston next week for my Model S. The latest C-Quartz Finest formula (applied to my 911) looks amazing - check it out:

625.jpg

Looks related to...
Thank you for your comments regarding the 7 For All Mankind promotion.

Yes, we are aware that the V12 messaging was off brand for Tesla. This was an approval error made on behalf of the marketing department. We are taking the comments of our owners very seriously and have suspended future activities planned with 7FAM. I apologize for an inconvenience or confusion this may have caused. The intent was to provide a 'gift' to our owners while also introducing Model S to customers of 7 For All Mankind.

Again, we appreciate your feedback. Lesson Learned!

Sure, @HP832, we can save you a spot. Try to arrive before 8am, though--that's when C&C official starts, and lots of people will be walking around, and it might be hard for you to drive through to our area. 7:30am is really the latest time you can comfortably arrive, but we can try. Here are all the details:

Houston Coffee and Cars:

Coffee and Cars is again this weekend--we had a GREAT turnout last time!

Details:

NEXT GATHERING: SEP 7th, 2013 Join us the first Saturday morning the month for our next gathering. From 8:00AM until 10:00AM at Vintage Park.

Houston, Texas 77070

Map (see red arrow):

Attachment 27000
attachment.php?attachmentid=27000.jpg

Thanks Stephen,

I just got my Model S for about 2 months now. This Saturday will be the first time I come to a Coffee and Cars, although one of my coworker has been trying to get me to go there for years... He is a regular there and he drives a RED Nissan GTR.. I'm sure you've seen him around :). As for this coming Saturday, I have something to do early in the morning and I think maybe 8:30am will be the earliest I can come out... but I will try my best to get out as early as possible... I do want to meet other Tesla owners in Houston area... :).

View attachment 29891

I think I got it for the interview I did but it was not accompanied by a note so I'm not sure. Either way, I have never been more excited about a gift in my life! How did they know I only wear 7s??? Did my car tell them???

QUOTE]

I received one in the mail today, wasn't sure why. I had to do research to see exactly what it was. So, you like the 7's? I'll have to have the hubby get them, as it says only good for the Luxe Performance.... fun to receive gifts!