Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV OK Decal - BC

Will you put an HOV OK sticker on your new Model 3?

• Yes, need the HOV access

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • No way I'm putting a sticker on my Model 3

Votes: 34 45.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would prefer sticking it to the government. No way in Hell would I put an ugly sticker on my car like that!

I'm not sure how you getting a ticket is "sticking it to the government"... seems more like the government sticking it to you, if you ask me.

But I guess I can picture you, the rebel EV driver, cruising along in the HOV lane, stickerless, with the song "Born to be Wild" blaring from your vehicle.

For me, I was just happy when they finally allowed EVs in HOV with only one driver. It took years. Placing the sticker at the bottom center of my back window from the inside (and easily removable) was my pleasure, and I was sure happy the government finally stuck it to me, or at least allowed me to stick it.

• Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP and Koflach
I'm not sure how you getting a ticket is "sticking it to the government"... seems more like the government sticking it to you, if you ask me.

But I guess I can picture you, the rebel EV driver, cruising along in the HOV lane, stickerless, with the song "Born to be Wild" blaring from your vehicle.

For me, I was just happy when they finally allowed EVs in HOV with only one driver. It took years. Placing the sticker at the bottom center of my back window from the inside (and easily removable) was my pleasure, and I was sure happy the government finally stuck it to me, or at least allowed me to stick it.

Did the same for my wife's MX, stuck in on the rear window on the inside. Alas, almost ripped the HOV sticker apart as the silver-faced decal was fused to the glass. I suggest laminate the sticker before taping it to the rear window.

Mine is still in the glove compartment, haven't had to use HOV alone, but the thought of driving on HOV with one hand out holding the sticker crosses my mind.

I made a mount for the BC HOV sticker. It will work great with any EV car actually.

BC HOV OK Sticker Holder

I have been using the prototype for 7 months and it works great.

5451B9F8-78D1-43E4-92B6-BDC7866FA67A.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: 525SNAP and Corsair
That map is out of date there are EV Ok signs in all of Burnaby's Bus and Van pool lanes know.

Hohohong was asking about Barnet Highway which is a provincial highway.

The map is limited to provincial highways, so it would not include the Burnaby municipal roads. Are there provincial highways that are not included on the map?

The web page describes both provincial and municipal usage.

From the linked web page,

Electric vehicles (EVs) displaying an official decal are allowed in provincial highway and municipal high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in British Columbia regardless of the number of passengers in the car, unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise.

“The following provincial highway HOV lanes are eligible for use by electric vehicles:“

Placing the sticker at the bottom center of my back window from the inside (and easily removable) ...
That’s where I put my HOV sticker in my Model S, using a piece of self-adhesive/removable vinyl book cover material a couple inches bigger. Easily attached and easily removed - and less ugly at bottom centre of the rear window than permanently attached to the bodywork

I don’t drive daily where there’s an applicable HOV lane so most of the time the sticker sits in the glove compartment (w/ adhesive sheet already attached to it but covered with backing)

Hohohong was asking about Barnet Highway which is a provincial highway.

The map is limited to provincial highways, so it would not include the Burnaby municipal roads. Are there provincial highways that are not included on the map?

The web page describes both provincial and municipal usage.

From the linked web page,

Electric vehicles (EVs) displaying an official decal are allowed in provincial highway and municipal high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in British Columbia regardless of the number of passengers in the car, unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise.

“The following provincial highway HOV lanes are eligible for use by electric vehicles:“

I'm just pointing out what that website states is not accurate. Police were handing out tickets and there was debate over what was considered HOV vs Van/Bus Pool lanes. That has recently been settled and they are expanding many Bus/Van lanes to include EV even though the website states you are not allowed to use them in an EV. Your best bet is to look for the EV Ok sign and there is a lot more available than that website shows.

Stuck mine in the bottom right corner of my rear window last night with blue electrical tape. It looks horrible but I can't see it from inside the car (that will probably change when my little guy outgrows his car seat). Thinking of going the magnet route and only putting it on when I need it (which is basically never since there are no HOV lanes on my commute and on weekends I'm rarely alone in the car) but then I need to remember to put it on and take it off. Not so worried about it falling off, (I used to use magnets to put on numbers and decals for autox raching) but I figure if I forget to take it off, someone could swipe it.

Also, technically the rules say on the rear window or bumper, so if a cop wanted to get super picky, they may be able to ticket for on the trunk (though I doubt that would happen.)

That's a good question. I've always assumed we could and have been doing so for the last 4 years with no issues, but I've never seen Police do a HOV check on Hastings or Barnett. I sent an email to the City of Burnaby; not expecting to get a response, but if I do, I'll post it here. I think I'll just avoid using the HOV on Hastings and Barnett until it's confirmed.

Can I use the decal on Barnet HWY? Or is it only for HWY 1 and 99?

That's a good question. I've always assumed we could and have been doing so for the last 4 years with no issues, but I've never seen Police do a HOV check on Hastings or Barnett. I sent an email to the City of Burnaby; not expecting to get a response, but if I do, I'll post it here. I think I'll just avoid using the HOV on Hastings and Barnett until it's confirmed.
Keep us posted. If decal not eligible, can we write to city Council to have that approved?

I read on a discussion board from the BC highways website before that EV vehicles aren't allowed on the bus lanes on Hastings Street in Vancouver, as it's not actually marked as an HOV lane. Not sure if that's still the case.

Question for the Logo Designer: Why is HOV decal so large?

1. Lose the OK, that makes it half the size
2. Print the logo on a clear background
3. Add a self adhesive backing.
4. Stick it on the back license plate, or stick it on the bumper.

Question for the Logo Designer: Why is HOV decal so large?

1. Lose the OK, that makes it half the size
2. Print the logo on a clear background
3. Add a self adhesive backing.
4. Stick it on the back license plate, or stick it on the bumper.
It's so large and high contrast so they can see it easily when they are doing an HOV check.

Special license plates would be a better option, and they could potentially be used to qualify for things like discounted parking as well.

t's so large and high contrast so they can see it easily when they are doing an HOV check.
That's typical old School Thinking. sort of like the massive bureaucracy that was required to make sure cars paid toll when crossing the new Port Mann Bridge. In France an RFID chip displayed in the back of your rear view mirror automatically debits you account when using toll highways. Why do we need to pay a cop $80,000.00/year to check HOV stickers.... only in B.C.

EVs are allowed in HOV lanes, but not Bus and/or Vanpool lanes. The details that came with the decal were pretty clear.

View attachment 421084

As I previously stated this has changed and the website is not correct. A guy I work with got a ticket in his EV in one of those lanes a couple months back. Since then at least in Burnaby the EV Ok signs have been added to all those lanes. He fought his ticket in court and it was a little odd, the Judge let the police save face and said they were justified in the citation and then threw the ticket out on some other technicality. Now the signs are up and no more tickets will be given for EV drivers in those lanes.

P.S. The decal is hideous and ridiculous.

Reactions: Vawlkus and MarcoRP