Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV OK Decal - BC

Will you put an HOV OK sticker on your new Model 3?

• Yes, need the HOV access

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • No way I'm putting a sticker on my Model 3

Votes: 34 45.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw someone doing this. I thought that's brilliant. But is it legal?

85FEA636-9E0D-416E-A222-77880DFE18F8.jpeg

As I previously stated this has changed and the website is not correct. A guy I work with got a ticket in his EV in one of those lanes a couple months back. Since then at least in Burnaby the EV Ok signs have been added to all those lanes. He fought his ticket in court and it was a little odd, the Judge let the police save face and said they were justified in the citation and then threw the ticket out on some other technicality. Now the signs are up and no more tickets will be given for EV drivers in those lanes.

Do you have a reference to what the correct information is?

If I end up being stopped by a police officer or find myself in court, I would rather be able to produce a government document or website that says I am correct than to have a defense of, "But an anonymous guy on the interweb said it." :confused:

EVs are allowed in HOV lanes, but not Bus and/or Vanpool lanes. The details that came with the decal were pretty clear.

View attachment 421084

If that's the sign they are proposing, .....they are out of their mind!

I'm a Designer: Design of Signage should never be taken casually, its often an afterthought.
Think for a moment about the amount of information your brain is supposed to comprehend in a short amount of time,
while your driving 60 to 80km/hr. How can a human being that's only capable of using 10% of his or her brain,
comprehend and understand these types of complex graphics, much less deal with all the other road signage whizzing by.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corsair
Don't take my word for it the signs are posted on the lanes. If the lane has an EV OK sign its ok to drive your EV in it. I have no idea why people keep posing a website when the signs are already up.

As the person above mentioned the signs were the problem so now lanes are clearly marked.

• Informative
Reactions: tomot
Don't take my word for it the signs are posted on the lanes. If the lane has an EV OK sign its ok to drive your EV in it. I have no idea why people keep posing a website when the signs are already up.

As the person above mentioned the signs were the problem so now lanes are clearly marked.

The website says that "EV OK" signs do not have to be posted for the EV OK sticker to be effective.

As long as the signage says it is an HOV lane on a provincial highway or an HOV lane in a municipal jurisdiction, the EV OK sticker permits the driver in the lane unless the sign says otherwise.

Electric vehicles (EVs) displaying an official decal are allowed in provincial highway and municipal high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in British Columbia regardless of the number of passengers in the car, unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise.

Reactions: hohohong
The website says that "EV OK" signs do not have to be posted for the EV OK sticker to be effective.

As long as the signage says it is an HOV lane on a provincial highway or an HOV lane in a municipal jurisdiction, the EV OK sticker permits the driver in the lane unless the sign says otherwise.

Electric vehicles (EVs) displaying an official decal are allowed in provincial highway and municipal high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in British Columbia regardless of the number of passengers in the car, unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise.

I don't know why this is so difficult the Van and Capool lanes the website clearly indicate you are not allowed to use with an EV now have EV Ok signs and it is perfectly legal to use them. The information on the website is out of date. There are many other EV lanes available in BC that are not listed online. If you don't see an EV Ok sign you risk a ticket and a day off in court to to try and avoid payment. If you want to go by the internet all the power to you, I personally just follow the signage as posted.

Saw someone doing this. I thought that's brilliant. But is it legal?

View attachment 421094

50/50, depends on the cop I guess:

Plates to be unobstructed

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

1. Can I drive in a bus lane or vanpool lane with my EV HOV decal?
    There are two types of reserved lanes in B.C. – HOV lanes and bus lanes. EVs with a decal may only drive in HOV lanes. Bus lanes are reserved for buses only. Therefore, EVs with decals cannot drive in bus lanes. A vanpool lane is a type of bus lane. EVs with decals cannot drive in vanpool lanes without meeting the posted minimum occupancy requirement.
  2. Can electric vehicles with a decal access every HOV lane in the province?
    Yes. EVs with a decal can drive in all HOV lanes in B.C. without meeting passenger number requirements (but not bus or vanpool lanes), unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise.
  3. Can I drive on HOV lanes in a municipality?
    Yes. You can drive in HOV lanes on municipal roads, unless there is a sign indicating otherwise.
From this BC government website.

1. Can I drive in a bus lane or vanpool lane with my EV HOV decal?
    There are two types of reserved lanes in B.C. – HOV lanes and bus lanes. EVs with a decal may only drive in HOV lanes. Bus lanes are reserved for buses only. Therefore, EVs with decals cannot drive in bus lanes. A vanpool lane is a type of bus lane. EVs with decals cannot drive in vanpool lanes without meeting the posted minimum occupancy requirement.
  2. Can electric vehicles with a decal access every HOV lane in the province?
    Yes. EVs with a decal can drive in all HOV lanes in B.C. without meeting passenger number requirements (but not bus or vanpool lanes), unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise.
  3. Can I drive on HOV lanes in a municipality?
    Yes. You can drive in HOV lanes on municipal roads, unless there is a sign indicating otherwise.
From this BC government website.

Man your a bit if a stubborn one. I guess I need to actually take a photograph of the bus/van lane with the EV ok sign. You can post as many websites as you like the fact remains that the actual signage on the road is what matters. If you don’t see the EV Ok sign the police will ticket you. You are legally allowed to drive an EV with the decal in any lane that has a sign stating EV ok decal required. I use the bus lanes in Burnaby every day.

Man your a bit if a stubborn one. I guess I need to actually take a photograph of the bus/van lane with the EV ok sign. You can post as many websites as you like the fact remains that the actual signage on the road is what matters. If you don’t see the EV Ok sign the police will ticket you. You are legally allowed to drive an EV with the decal in any lane that has a sign stating EV ok decal required. I use the bus lanes in Burnaby every day.

I’m not sure we are saying much different.

Bus lanes and HOV lanes are different.

An HOV lane is covered by Motor Vehicle Act S. 152.

A bus lane is covered by Motor Vehicle Act S. 153.

If a bus lane has a sign that says EV OK, it is OK to drive an EV OK designated vehicle in that bus lane. If it does not have a sign saying HOV OK it is not OK to drive an HOV OK vehicle in the bus lane.

If an HOV lane exists, the HOV lane does not have to have a sign that says EV OK in order to drive an EV OK designated vehicle in the HOV lane. It may have a sign that HOV ok is not permitted.

The paragraph above is supported by Section 152 of the Motor Vehicle Act and Section 42 of the Motor Vehicle Regulation.

Motor Vehicle Act

High occupancy vehicle lane
152 If a laned roadway has a high occupancy vehicle lane, a person must not drive a motor vehicle or other device in that lane unless permitted by the regulations.

Motor Vehicle Regulation

2) A driver of a vehicle that is not a high occupancy vehicle must not use a high occupancy vehicle lane except if necessary

(a)to make a right turn from the lane, at the first intersection where the turn is permitted, to access a highway intersecting the lane or premises adjacent to the lane,

(b)to make a right turn from an intersecting highway or premises adjacent to the lane, at the first intersection where the turn is permitted, to access the highway in which the lane is situated, or

(c)to merge into an adjacent lane for the purposes of paragraph (b).

(3)Subsection (2) does not apply to

(a)the driver of a marked vehicle responding to a disabled vehicle or another emergency on the highway where the high occupancy vehicle lane is located,

(b)the driver of an emergency vehicle,

(c)a peace officer on active duty,

(d)an operator of a cycle, motorcycle, taxi, handy dart vehicle or an electric motor vehicle, or

(e)the driver of a blood delivery vehicle while transporting blood or blood products.

(4)Despite subsection (3) (d), subsection (2) applies to an operator of a cycle, motorcycle, taxi, handy dart vehicle or an electric motor vehicle if a traffic control device specifies that the operator is not to use the high occupancy vehicle lane except as specified in subsection (2).

Stuck mine in the bottom right corner of my rear window last night with blue electrical tape. It looks horrible but I can't see it from inside the car (that will probably change when my little guy outgrows his car seat). Thinking of going the magnet route and only putting it on when I need it (which is basically never since there are no HOV lanes on my commute and on weekends I'm rarely alone in the car) but then I need to remember to put it on and take it off. Not so worried about it falling off, (I used to use magnets to put on numbers and decals for autox raching) but I figure if I forget to take it off, someone could swipe it.

Also, technically the rules say on the rear window or bumper, so if a cop wanted to get super picky, they may be able to ticket for on the trunk (though I doubt that would happen.)

The magnetic route is not possible for me as the S & X panels are aluminium. However, I have laminated my HOV decal, and before hitting the HOV lane, slip it on the rear window using one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Hypersonic-Windscreen-Parking-Vehicle-Transparent/dp/B07DG398RX/ref=sr_1_1

I personally don't like sticky anything to body panels.

I think it's already been answered in this forum, but I did get a reply from Burnaby Traffic Department (kudos to them for their quick response). EVs are allowed on Barnett and Willingdon (Hastings) HOV lanes. They recently updated the signage as well on those roads/highways.

Keep us posted. If decal not eligible, can we write to city Council to have that approved?

The confusion here is jurisdictional. The Ministry of Transportation looks after most numbered routes, and on those routes the rules apply as shown in the links (HOV - OK, Bus/Vanpool - Not OK). However, municipalities can do whatever they want through bylaws, and so it appears some have allowed EVs in their reserved lanes.

BC MVA trumps all others though unless it delegates responsibility, so in the absence of signage or specific rules, you can drive in a municipal HOV but not in a municipal Bus Lane. Look for signage to allow/restrict otherwise.

Anyone come up with a better temporary solution to putting on the sticker when predicting we need hov, and storing it when we don't? I have a tinted rear windshield so not sure putting it there will work for me
I bought a Tesla rear sunroof sunshade before getting my model 3 to keep sun off the kids in the back.. then when the HOV sticker arrived I realized I can just throw the HOV sticker with backing on, in between the sunshade and the rear window. It falls to the bottom and is pretty visible, and was less effort than taking the sticker off and permanently mounting it! As long as I’m using the sunshade (which is 100% so far) I’m covered.

• Informative
Reactions: P2AT
Was in Burnaby this weekend as saw the Bus/Vanpool lane on Willingdon by BCIT that also had the EV OK signage. It's not on the same sign as the bus/vanpool but an additional sign a couple lampposts later, so it's pretty poorly marked. In fact, the EV OK signage does not even have the HOV symbol on it.

Anyhow, I didn't have my decal displayed so I couldn't use the lane, while I would have been able to use a carpool lane as I did have 2 other passengers.

Oh god...to each his own but damn is that ugly.

in all fairness this is the best solution i've seen so far for people who have tinted their back window in that
- it seems detachable
- it doesn't go on your body paint
- to me it's less of an eye sore placing it next to your license plate vs a random spot in your bumber that's not inside your windows

@Mellenger do you have more pics/installation instructions available? your link says self tapping screws just making sure i don't have to screw anything into the car. Can this mount be repeatedly attached and detached as needed?

After weighing the risks of riding the HOV without decal vs putting the hideous decal on the new M3, decided to go the removable vinyl route. Makes it as temporary/permanent as you want.

- bought vinyl sheets off eBay for $6 USD shipped to Blaine
- stick HOV decal on the vinyl, carefully trim off excess using an exacto knife
- remove backing of vinyl and place where you want

Just stuck it on, so can't speak to longevity yet. Seller says will last 6 months if regularly being removed on/off, or rated for two years if you are looking for a longer term solution.

Will report back after a couple washes, but so far the adhesive at the back has lots of grab and didnt leave anything behind when I repositioned it a bunch.

Good solution for those like me that might want to reposition the decal over time and/or remove when not needed.

12" x 4" REMOVABLE VINYL BUMPER STICKER CAR PROTECTOR DECAL 2 pack | eBay

Attachments

• 20190714_164724.jpg
    20190714_164724.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 286
  • 20190714_165604.jpg
    20190714_165604.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 20190714_173648.jpg
    20190714_173648.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 316
  • Informative