Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV OK Decal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my fellow BC owners, where are you placing your HOV OK decal on your cars? I really, really do not want to place it on any painted surfaces when I get it but I am not sure where else it will work on the vehicle. In the past I have seen some Ss driving around with it placed squarely on the bumper and, in my personal opinion, it looks terrible not to mention I am sure it damages the paint. Is licence plate placement okay? Or???

• Informative
Reactions: Freedom101
By law they must be affixed in a position where they are visible on the car here. Glove box won't cut it. I am definitely thinking window and I like the idea of taping instead of affixing the actual sticker itself. I saw a Model S with it affixed to the bumper and I was so disheartened so I am glad for the other suggestions.

Agree it is legally required. That said, I feel very comfortable leaving in the glove box because:
  1. The law allows Teslas to use the HOV when single occupancy. i.e., I am not doing anything wrong by driving in the HOV lane. Rather, the opposite is true...the BC government is delighted to give me this privilege since my driving choice links to their long term vision/strategy.
  2. It is highly unlikely I would be pulled over for not having the sticker given police rarely pull people over for single occupancy in the HOV given they are unable to see small occupants. Of course there are instances, but I am confident they are sufficiently rare
  3. I trust most officers (though certainly not all) recognize Teslas as being EVs that are allowed in the lane thus would not waste time pulling one over.
  4. Even if pulled over, I trust it would be highly unlikely that I would receive more than a warning once showing the sticker.
  5. If not, I am confident it would be highly likely that the a court would dismiss since I met the spirit of the law and simply did not have the sticker visibly displayed
There is always risk, but am confident it is extremely low on this one!

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: hpjtv and doubeld
Not to be a contrarian but, legally speaking, you are wrong on many points.

The law allows Teslas to use the HOV when single occupancy. i.e., I am not doing anything wrong by driving in the HOV lane. Rather, the opposite is true...the BC government is delighted to give me this privilege since my driving choice links to their long term vision/strategy.

No, the law allows Teslas to use the HOV when single occupancy only if displaying a decal. It is clear on that. Being an electric vehicle is not, on its own, sufficient. The permit must also be issued and displayed.

I trust most officers (though certainly not all) recognize Teslas as being EVs that are allowed in the lane thus would not waste time pulling one over.

Again, the vehicle is only legal if it is showing the sticker so Tesla or not, they can "waste their time" and issue a ticket.

Even if pulled over, I trust it would be highly unlikely that I would receive more than a warning once showing the sticker.

This is fully within the discretion of the officer.

If not, I am confident it would be highly likely that the a court would dismiss since I met the spirit of the law and simply did not have the sticker visibly displayed

I'm not. When it comes to compliance with legislation (as opposed to statutory interpretation), the courts are not in the business of interpreting the spirit of the law. They interpret whether or not you complied. If you were driving in the HOV lane without the sticker affixed, the court is definitely at liberty to have the ticket stand.

Reactions: hpjtv
  1. If not, I am confident it would be highly likely that the a court would dismiss since I met the spirit of the law and simply did not have the sticker visibly displayed
So every time you drive alone in the HOV is it worth the risk of going to court? Worth the time saved in the HOV lane to end up being pulled over? That seems like a big PITA. Why not simply tape the thing on in advance?

Reactions: hpjtv and cmt489
So every time you drive alone in the HOV is it worth the risk of going to court? Worth the time saved in the HOV lane to end up being pulled over? That seems like a big PITA. Why not simply tape the thing on in advance?

Agreed. Not to mention Tesla owners already get a bid of a bad rap with the general public. I want to comply with the laws and not look to be flaunting them if for no other reason, the public relations side of things.

To my fellow BC owners, where are you placing your HOV OK decal on your cars? I really, really do not want to place it on any painted surfaces when I get it but I am not sure where else it will work on the vehicle. In the past I have seen some Ss driving around with it placed squarely on the bumper and, in my personal opinion, it looks terrible not to mention I am sure it damages the paint. Is licence plate placement okay? Or???
I keep mine mostly in my glovebox - I don't regularly need it but got it mostly just in case.

Since I don't want to attach it permanently (it's so big and ugly!) I use some of that slightly sticky but removeable clear/matte plastic film, the kind you use to cover books or shelves, cut a 1/2 inch or so bigger than the decal on each side. I attach it to lower centre of the rear window, but it can easily be removed and reattached
IMG_3812.JPG

Reactions: Sather and cmt489
I would never put an ugly sticker on any vehicle bumper, period.
I too, would keep it in the glove box should our government decide to implement this here as well.
If I get pulled over, I would simply tell the occifer that I don't like stickers, period, and would happily show him the decal.
I'm sure that would be acceptable.

My other point is this, why would any government waste tax payers money issuing a decal in the first place? An EV car presumably should be exempt anyway, decal or not? Right? Police should know by now which car is electric. When describing a suspect's car over the radio, for instance, they are very precise in their description of it as they already have learned all the models.

Reactions: Sather