Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s the sound system in Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve not yet seen any video content or threads covering this, but apologies if I missed.

Asking folks who have accepted delivery or gotten first-hand time in the Y. How’s the sound system? Is it pretty equivalent to what we get in the Model 3?

I wonder if the sub woofer is now located inside the hatch, or still on the side of the trunk?
In particular, I didn't see any air duct to have the air circulating around the sub-woofer amplifier.
From the million videos I saw
Sub is now located in the hatch on both sides there are 2 mesh grills

And yes to annoying vibrations.

It does have a speaker in each side door in the rear which is different than the 3

Were those confirmed subs in the hatch? Since there is only 1 subwoofer in the 14 speaker package I don't see why they would have 2 mesh grills on the hatch. I assumed those were just the rear deck speakers from the model 3 relocated to the hatch on the y.

From the million videos I saw
Sub is now located in the hatch on both sides there are 2 mesh grills

And yes to annoying vibrations.

It does have a speaker in each side door in the rear which is different than the 3
There is no way the subwoofer is in the hatch. That would require a new part which goes against the mojo of parts sharing for this vehicle. It would need a shallow mount subwoofer and it would sound like *sugar* and probably rattle. I guarantee those are just the rear deck speakers from the Model 3.

There is no way the subwoofer is in the hatch. That would require a new part which goes against the mojo of parts sharing for this vehicle. It would need a shallow mount subwoofer and it would sound like *sugar* and probably rattle. I guarantee those are just the rear deck speakers from the Model 3.

It would also add an awkward weight to the hatch. Also, it's be near impossible to tune it in that enclosure.

I had the Model 3 with premium audio for 2 years (VIN 144xx), just took delivery of Model Y (VIN 31xx). Here's my quick observation, based on about an hour using the same playlist (some Strauss, Bach, Holst, GusGus, Donald Fagen, Röyksopp, SHAED, Lindstrøm, Pink Floyd, Pat Metheny, The Orb, etc.), source is iPhone 11 Pro from Apple Music (with high quality streaming 256kbps AAC) over BT.

The two sound very similar, but the max sound level on Model 3 is higher (smaller car volume with same amplifiers and speakers, I presume). Also, low bass is noticeably stronger on Model 3 compared to Model Y, but overall they are very similar and pretty great for OEM stereo. Took the rear license plate holder off right away, but still had some more rattles on the Y. Unlike the video above, I felt the Y was not quite as good overall as the 3.

Last edited:
Not speaking on Model Y but teslas need a better subwoofer or dual subwoofers since the bass isn't reaching the front seats. The back seats are a whole different story, they sound amazing.
I have never been in an M3 but my Y has a great sub. It's a butt thumper. Not as good as a custom install but for a factory system, its one of the better ones I have owned.

I used to have a 2012 aventador with the upgraded audio and the Model Y audio is much better. That being said, the aventador audio was garbage.

so far I think the Y sound system is decent. The equalizer is a simple 5 band parametric EQ. The car acoustics are fine. Overall it’s probably as good as the audio in our LX 570.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
I used to have a 2012 aventador with the upgraded audio and the Model Y audio is much better. That being said, the aventador audio was garbage.

so far I think the Y sound system is decent. The equalizer is a simple 5 band parametric EQ. The car acoustics are fine. Overall it’s probably as good as the audio in our LX 570.

Wow, surprised to learn that about the Aventador. Perhaps they expect Lambo owners to listen more to the music from the engine bay. Totally agree about the excellence of Lexus' Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound system.

I have not been in a Y but I feel the Model 3 audio sounds better than our Model S Ultra-High Fidelity sound system. The UHF is pretty pathetic compared our previous LS 460 Mark Levinson.

Reactions: hutsy