Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the same trouble with my BlackVue 650-- GPS was never working over the month I purchased it (December). Funny thing is all of a sudden yesterday and today the GPS works, I've done nothing differently.

I wonder if they have a bug that prevented the GPS working depending on the month, or something stupid like that? It seems a lot of people with BlackVue's are having this GPS problem. Can I enquire if your GPS works now?

I thought about getting two BlackVue 650's and using their low quality rear camera (720P) facing east / west and the 1080P cameras facing North (front) / South (rear). BlackVue has been problematic and the GPS is still not working after screwing around with it for a week now. I holding off for a better solution.

I leave my camera on all the time and leave the LED's active - I want people to know they are under surveillance just like on my home security system.

The BlackVue 650 can't stream without a wireless data plan connected device linked to it - limited to a very short range (30 feet). My home cameras do but the are all hardwired with PoE to the hub.

That's true. I have my LUKAS 5900 mounted just below that area, and it only receives a GPS signal is the car is outside for at least a full day. So I know at least a partial signal is getting through. I may mount my EZpass in the nose cone and move the dashcam up to that open area for better reception.

On the other hand, when using the dashcam video for evidence, I might not want my actual speed to be included in the video evidence, so I'm happy to have it not pick up a GPS signal.

I'm having the same trouble with my BlackVue 650-- GPS was never working over the month I purchased it (December). Funny thing is all of a sudden yesterday and today the GPS works, I've done nothing differently.

I wonder if they have a bug that prevented the GPS working depending on the month, or something stupid like that? It seems a lot of people with BlackVue's are having this GPS problem. Can I enquire if your GPS works now?

This is a well understood problem with the heavily coated/shielded Model S windshield and the GPS receiver in the Blackvue dash cam. Mine will go on and off more or less randomly. Sometimes if I do an SD card reformat in the camera, it will come back for a while. No biggie--I lose the GPS mapping on my videos, and also the MPH recording (...maybe not so good if it records me going above posted speed limit).

My dashcam is mounted where the speed on the dash is also caught in the video lower left corner of the frame.. no need for gps inputs to a dashcam, can see the REAL speed. the lens is 154 degree wide angle. Camera is suction mounted so it sits directly in front of the right half of the mirror... so it can't be seen by the driver.

Last edited:
I installed my BV550 right at the top to the right of my mirror so it doesn't affect the extra tweeter I have installed behind the mirror and I have no problems getting the GPS to work. My biggest problem turned out to be running the cable for the rear camera. I chose to run it down the A pillar and up the C pillar. The C pillar was a nightmare to put back in (Tesla did it thankfully) and getting through the cable guide into the hatchback was another hasle. I ended up having to whack off the end of the connector and installing a new MCX connector after feeding it through. Blackvue was no help either. I got no response after repeated requests for info.

My 550 (or is it a 650? US dual camera) is not able to obtain a GPS fix mounted just to the right of the rear view mirror on a 12/2014 build. I've decided I don't care. However, my ez-pass is intermittent mounted just above the dashcam. This is annoying.

Last edited:
I put it all the way at the top to the right of the mirror. The left edge of the camera is about 3 inches to the right of the right-side of the top of the rear-view camera bracket with the left side of the camera bracket about six inches from the top of the plastic mirror bracket.

A little bit different topic, I'm experiencing LED traffic lights flickering in Tokyo, as our lights are on 50Hz. In western Japan the lights are on 60Hz.

I don't know why they are flickering lights (save energy??) but it seems that with Blackvue at 30 fps the lights may become completely black in western Japan. I also wondered the US use 60Hz too, and if this problem happens in LED lights area.

50Hz LED traffic lights in Tokyo - YouTube

A little bit different topic, I'm experiencing LED traffic lights flickering in Tokyo, as our lights are on 50Hz. In western Japan the lights are on 60Hz.

I don't know why they are flickering lights (save energy??) but it seems that with Blackvue at 30 fps the lights may become completely black in western Japan. I also wondered the US use 60Hz too, and if this problem happens in LED lights area.

50Hz LED traffic lights in Tokyo - YouTube

LED's flicker because that's how they work, they don't emit constant light. They appear solid to the naked eye, but when recorded on video you can see the flicker, as the camera often takes a frame in the split second the LED is off. You can see this effect in the LED daytime running lights of other cars in the rear view camera of the Model S as well.

This thread has been a great read. Unfortunately the main thing I'm learning is that I'm just not technical/comfortable enough to do this on my own so I'm going to take my newly ordered Blackvue 650 2ch to a professional installer. It will certainly cost more but should look great and get done correctly. One thing I'm confused with is it sounds like most people here aren't using the male cigarette lighter end that comes with the unit. On the TeslaTap install instructions it makes note that there is voltage reduction circuitry and that you shouldn't cut off the cigarette lighter. Is this true? I haven't seen many people mention that they are using the male end of the cigarette lighter. I want to make sure I give all necessary instructions to the installer. Also, the one I ordered did come with the Power Magic Pro but it sounds like on Amazon a lot of people had problems with that box. Since this is a Tesla (huge battery available) am I correct that the Power Magic Pro isn't necessary and shouldn't be installed to avoid any issues with it?

Thanks.

This thread has been a great read. Unfortunately the main thing I'm learning is that I'm just not technical/comfortable enough to do this on my own so I'm going to take my newly ordered Blackvue 650 2ch to a professional installer. It will certainly cost more but should look great and get done correctly. One thing I'm confused with is it sounds like most people here aren't using the male cigarette lighter end that comes with the unit. On the TeslaTap install instructions it makes note that there is voltage reduction circuitry and that you shouldn't cut off the cigarette lighter. Is this true? I haven't seen many people mention that they are using the male end of the cigarette lighter. I want to make sure I give all necessary instructions to the installer. Also, the one I ordered did come with the Power Magic Pro but it sounds like on Amazon a lot of people had problems with that box. Since this is a Tesla (huge battery available) am I correct that the Power Magic Pro isn't necessary and shouldn't be installed to avoid any issues with it?

Thanks.

The power cord for the Blackvue delivers 12v. Straight from the power source. Use a test meter to see for yourself.
You don't need the cigarette lighter plug. Note that this contains a built-in fuse and there is also a 2nd in line fuse, which you should leave in line.
I cut off the cigarette lighter plug but left the in-line fuse.
I lucked out as both my and my wife's have the open connector with always on 12v in the headliner above the microphone grille.
I did not fool with pins or connectors, but just stripped and 'tinned' the red & black leads on the Blackvue power cable, then popped open the connector in the headliner, laid the bare wires onto the proper pins, then snapped the connector closed.
No PowerMagic Pro needed.

Please search these forums for other posts on installation.

The power cord for the Blackvue delivers 12v. Straight from the power source. Use a test meter to see for yourself.
You don't need the cigarette lighter plug. Note that this contains a built-in fuse and there is also a 2nd in line fuse, which you should leave in line.
I cut off the cigarette lighter plug but left the in-line fuse.
I lucked out as both my and my wife's have the open connector with always on 12v in the headliner above the microphone grille.
I did not fool with pins or connectors, but just stripped and 'tinned' the red & black leads on the Blackvue power cable, then popped open the connector in the headliner, laid the bare wires onto the proper pins, then snapped the connector closed.
No PowerMagic Pro needed.

Please search these forums for other posts on installation.

Thanks. So what should I tell the professional installer? Should I tell him that he can cut off the cigarette lighter but make sure to leave the in line fuse? I'm just trying to make sure we don't do something wrong in light of the comment on Tesla Tap regarding the voltage reduction circuitry. If I just mention that will the installer understand the issue and what needs to be done?

Thanks. So what should I tell the professional installer? Should I tell him that he can cut off the cigarette lighter but make sure to leave the in line fuse? I'm just trying to make sure we don't do something wrong in light of the comment on Tesla Tap regarding the voltage reduction circuitry. If I just mention that will the installer understand the issue and what needs to be done?

Sorry--thought I was clear. Cut off the cigarette lighter plug. Leave the in-line fuse holder and fuse. Grab always on 12V from the connector in the headliner.
If your installer is having some difficulty with the 12v hookup, maybe you need a different installer.
Not sure where the whole 'voltage reduction' idea came from....