Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry--thought I was clear. Cut off the cigarette lighter plug. Leave the in-line fuse holder and fuse. Grab always on 12V from the connector in the headliner.
If your installer is having some difficulty with the 12v hookup, maybe you need a different installer.
Not sure where the whole 'voltage reduction' idea came from....

Many dashcams operate on +5VDC and not 12, so they require a step-down transformer, usually inside the cigarette adapter. If you chop that off and apply +12v to a dashcam expecting 5vdc, it might work, or it might release the magic smoke.

Now I'm confused again. The comment from Tesla Tap about voltage reduction circuitry is below. So should I tell the installer not to cut off the cigarette lighter? Does the Blackvue 650 operate on +12v or 5vdc? Do I not have to worry about any of this as the installer (who is well recommended) will be very familiar with how to wire the whole thing without issue? Also I should note that my car does not have the 12v connector in the headliner so he will have to wire it to either the ODBII port or the fuse box. I haven't discussed with him the installation yet so I don't know which he would prefer. Sorry for the confusion but as you can see I'm not too knowledgeable about all of this which is why I'm going to a professional installer and just want to be prepared for whatever might come up. Thanks.

From TeslaTap
NOTE: If you’re using the Blackvue dashcam, the 12V power connector has voltage reduction circuitry, so can’t just clip it off and wire the dashcam directly to 12V. You need to keep the large cigarette connector. We used a receptacle with wire leads to solve this such as Female Car Cigarette Lighter Socket
ir?t=alpedo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00RT5TE5Q.gif
, If you got the Power Magic Pro option, it includes a socket.

A full-fledged camera system should not have to be an aftermarket choice for Tesla owners.

I want Tesla to offer a 4-camera system, front, left, right, rear, all in HD, digital recording, easy access via smartphone app and desktop (using MyTesla account on Tesla's own site), all as an optional package on the Design Studio page. I think it's ridiculous that owners have to resort to having to research, buy, and then hire on their own an outfit to do custom installations, some of which may put the car's warranty at risk.

In a Tesla factory-installed Camera Package I'd like to see modes where all 4 cameras record at full 30fps while car is on, with speed, direction, gps data also logged in sync; and when car is off, owner can specify a slower frame rate like 1fps, or just have the cameras record whenever there's motion.

If Tesla had offered such a Camera Package when I bought my S, I'd have definitely bought it. I'm not keen on going the Blackvue route. I want a factory solution not an aftermarket solution.

A full-fledged camera system should not have to be an aftermarket choice for Tesla owners.

I want Tesla to offer a 4-camera system, front, left, right, rear, all in HD, digital recording, easy access via smartphone app and desktop (using MyTesla account on Tesla's own site), all as an optional package on the Design Studio page. I think it's ridiculous that owners have to resort to having to research, buy, and then hire on their own an outfit to do custom installations, some of which may put the car's warranty at risk.

In a Tesla factory-installed Camera Package I'd like to see modes where all 4 cameras record at full 30fps while car is on, with speed, direction, gps data also logged in sync; and when car is off, owner can specify a slower frame rate like 1fps, or just have the cameras record whenever there's motion.

If Tesla had offered such a Camera Package when I bought my S, I'd have definitely bought it. I'm not keen on going the Blackvue route. I want a factory solution not an aftermarket solution.

Tinm, you are so right. The cameras/sensors are probably in place already for the long promised Autopilot, why not let the primary user take a peak into the feed? So much better than having us mess up the wiring or interior of our new toys...

I think it's ridiculous that owners have to resort to having to research, buy, and then hire on their own an outfit to do custom installations, some of which may put the car's warranty at risk.
Agreed. Does any car company offer a dash cam system? It's just such an obvious option.

Has does anyone know if Elon has been asked about this in any public forums or in interviews?

Now I'm confused again. The comment from Tesla Tap about voltage reduction circuitry is below. So should I tell the installer not to cut off the cigarette lighter? Does the Blackvue 650 operate on +12v or 5vdc? Do I not have to worry about any of this as the installer (who is well recommended) will be very familiar with how to wire the whole thing without issue? Also I should note that my car does not have the 12v connector in the headliner so he will have to wire it to either the ODBII port or the fuse box. I haven't discussed with him the installation yet so I don't know which he would prefer. Sorry for the confusion but as you can see I'm not too knowledgeable about all of this which is why I'm going to a professional installer and just want to be prepared for whatever might come up. Thanks.

Just talk to your installer -- if they're good, they'll know what to do. They'll know what voltage the device needs, and how to wire it in.

Many dashcams operate on +5VDC and not 12, so they require a step-down transformer, usually inside the cigarette adapter. If you chop that off and apply +12v to a dashcam expecting 5vdc, it might work, or it might release the magic smoke.

I connected mine to the 12v power up in the headliner over the weekend. Prior to that, I had been using the cigarette lighter adapter. When I cut the cord, the first thing I did was plug the cigarette lighter adapter back in and measure the voltage on the now exposed wires. I saw a full 12 volts (actually a bit more), exactly what I measured on the unused connector up in the microphone panel. So I just added a 1 amp in-line fuse and connected to the 12v up there. Seems to be working fine. I have the single camera Blackvue DR500GW-HD.

Last edited:
The power cord for the Blackvue delivers 12v. Straight from the power source. Use a test meter to see for yourself.
You don't need the cigarette lighter plug. Note that this contains a built-in fuse and there is also a 2nd in line fuse, which you should leave in line.
I cut off the cigarette lighter plug but left the in-line fuse.

My Blackvue, as far as I could tell, didn't have any in-line fuse. It had the fuse in the lighter plug, though. I simply added my own 1-amp in line fuse when I wired it up in the microphone compartment. Where would this in-line fuse have been? I cut it off about 8" from the jack and threw the lighter socket and the rest of the wire in the trash.

This thread has been a great read. Unfortunately the main thing I'm learning is that I'm just not technical/comfortable enough to do this on my own so I'm going to take my newly ordered Blackvue 650 2ch to a professional installer. It will certainly cost more but should look great and get done correctly. One thing I'm confused with is it sounds like most people here aren't using the male cigarette lighter end that comes with the unit. On the TeslaTap install instructions it makes note that there is voltage reduction circuitry and that you shouldn't cut off the cigarette lighter. Is this true? I haven't seen many people mention that they are using the male end of the cigarette lighter. I want to make sure I give all necessary instructions to the installer. Also, the one I ordered did come with the Power Magic Pro but it sounds like on Amazon a lot of people had problems with that box. Since this is a Tesla (huge battery available) am I correct that the Power Magic Pro isn't necessary and shouldn't be installed to avoid any issues with it?

Thanks.

I got mine installed for $150. They did amazing work and even the service center technician told me it looked really well done. Make sure to trash the Power Magic Pro, it's absolute garbage. I think they had it hooked up to the glovebox (but I could be wrong). If you have good installers they should get it all figured out correctly.

From TeslaTap
NOTE: If you’re using the Blackvue dashcam, the 12V power connector has voltage reduction circuitry, so can’t just clip it off and wire the dashcam directly to 12V. You need to keep the large cigarette connector. We used a receptacle with wire leads to solve this such as Female Car Cigarette Lighter Socket
ir?t=alpedo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00RT5TE5Q.gif
, If you got the Power Magic Pro option, it includes a socket.

...OK...1 more time....I have done 2 Blackvue installs personally, so have a bit of experience. But, just for fun, get out the power cable from the Blackvue, with the cigarette lighter plug. Insert it into your cigarette lighter 12V receptacle. Get out your trusty VOM and check the voltage at the right angle connector. Center pin +12v, metal shell ground. Got it?

Now, the power cord has a cigarette lighter plug attached. If you unscrew it, there is a fuse inside. Nothing more, nothing less. Cut off the cigarette lighter plug close to the end of the cable, and do NOT cut off or remove the 2nd black plastic bulge in-line along the power cord. This bulge, if you choose to snap it open, has a 2nd fuse--nothing more, nothing less.

Take the power cable where you cut it off. Strip back the black insulation, then strip the red and black wires. Hook these up to 12v (red to +12v, black to ground). Get your meter, and again test the right angle connector. Got 12V??

Blackvue is smart enough to give you 2 fuses, so that if you choose to hard wire, you still keep an in-line fuse. I personally would NOT hook up the camera without adding an in line fuse.

if your installer still does not understand the above, it's really hopeless......

Now, the power cord has a cigarette lighter plug attached. If you unscrew it, there is a fuse inside. Nothing more, nothing less. Cut off the cigarette lighter plug close to the end of the cable, and do NOT cut off or remove the 2nd black plastic bulge in-line along the power cord. This bulge, if you choose to snap it open, has a 2nd fuse--nothing more, nothing less.

I wonder if that's a regional thing. The power cord that came with my Blackvue DR500GW-HD absolutely did not have this bulge in the power cable. Only the fuse in the lighter plug.

- - - Updated - - -

Take the power cable where you cut it off. Strip back the black insulation, then strip the red and black wires. Hook these up to 12v (red to +12v, black to ground). Get your meter, and again test the right angle connector.

Interestingly, my wires were red (+) and white (-).

I wonder if that's a regional thing. The power cord that came with my Blackvue DR500GW-HD absolutely did not have this bulge in the power cable. Only the fuse in the lighter plug.

Hmmmmm...USA vs Canada....would be surprised that they would be different. FWIW I bought 2 units 2 years apart from US vendors, Blackvue 550 and 650, and both had the in-line fuse holder.

Maybe Canada version matches wire colors to the flag? Very bad luck if you need a three-wire circuit. :)

LOL, yeah maybe that's it! What it did do was make me plug in the cigarette lighter end and verify with my multimeter that red was positive and white was negative. As an aside, I also was able to verify that it is 12v on the wires and not some stepped down voltage as speculated above. From there, I proceeded to wire in the piece with the jack in to the headliner circuit.

I got my Blackvue 650 installed. It took a little longer than the installer thought it would be he eventually got everything working. I'm having two issues with the unit and was wondering if anybody here knew how to solve it. First I can't get the time to set correctly. I switched it to my timezone but it registers about 30 hours later than it really is. I'm guessing the issue is the spotty GPS coverage due to the Tesla shielding but I'm assuming other people have gotten the correct time to their Blackvues. Any idea how to do this?

Also, my phone (Galaxy Note 4) has an external sd card but whenever I try and save a video to my phone the only choice is the internal memory. Is anybody able to save videos to their external cards? The manual says when you hold the video you should get a choice for internal and external memory but I don't get that option.

Thanks for all the help.

I got my Blackvue 650 installed. It took a little longer than the installer thought it would be he eventually got everything working. I'm having two issues with the unit and was wondering if anybody here knew how to solve it. First I can't get the time to set correctly. I switched it to my timezone but it registers about 30 hours later than it really is. I'm guessing the issue is the spotty GPS coverage due to the Tesla shielding but I'm assuming other people have gotten the correct time to their Blackvues. Any idea how to do this?.

The Tesla windshield is heavily shielded and a real problem with the GPS hardware/antenna in the Blackvue. In my 2013 S85, the Blackvue 550 locks onto GPS better than the 650 in my wife's 2015 S70D. You just basically need to be patient and eventually you will get a GPS lock (and see the blue LED on the back of the unit).

I don't think the issue was the GPS. I guess the Blackvue uses the previously stored file to set the date and time. I formatted the card and it fixed the date and time issue. Still don't know how to save files to my external memory card. Also the glare when it is sunny is real bad.