Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate is delivery date estimate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered Model 3 Performance 31/12/21.

Delivery estimate is 14-20 weeks from order date - how accurate is this generally?
How long before the actual delivery date do you get notified?
Not accurate at all.

In the US, notifications range from weeks out to the same day. They may have things tightened up a bit for international deliveries.

Really hopeful I take delivery this financial year, so I can claim the depreciation benefits the ATO is currently offering.

What are the chances it won't be delivered this financial year?
What are the chances the federal budget (March 29) won't include another extension of the instant asset write off. It's an election year.

Besides, there's a massive sting in the tail if you use instant asset write off on a car. When you sell an asset you wrote off instantly, the eventual sale is treated as income, and you pay income tax on the proceeds! Ditto if something goes horribly wrong and the car becomes a write-off. Check with your accountant and consider whether standard depreciation (diminishing value method) is likely better over the life of the car.

As a luxury car used for rideshare, I'm depreciating mine over 6 years.

What are the chances the federal budget (March 29) won't include another extension of the instant asset write off. It's an election year.

Besides, there's a massive sting in the tail if you use instant asset write off on a car. When you sell an asset you wrote off instantly, the eventual sale is treated as income, and you pay income tax on the proceeds! Ditto if something goes horribly wrong and the car becomes a write-off. Check with your accountant and consider whether standard depreciation (diminishing value method) is likely better over the life of the car.

As a luxury car used for rideshare, I'm depreciating mine over 6 years.
For my particular situation, I’m better off claiming the full write off this FY.

Tax question aside, what is the likelihood I won’t take delivery pre June 30?

For my particular situation, I’m better off claiming the full write off this FY.

Tax question aside, what is the likelihood I won’t take delivery pre June 30?
Looking at your post history I can see you ordered on 31/12/21, whilst current deliveries appear to have ordered earlier in December or earlier again.
If all had remained equal, I would ha said that you were a shoe in for a Q2 delivery but recent events such as the invasion of Ukraine and Covid outbreak in China will mean further delay.
I think you still have a good chance if you have ordered a RWD but if you have ordered a LR or Performance you have a lower chance of getting yo car this financial year.
Fortunately Tesla are incentivised to deliver as many cars as possible in each financial quarter, so you will be assisted by that focus.
Check to see if you have been assigned a VIN, if so , that means your car has been matched to you or you order is at a stage where Tesla are allocating a car from production As VINs are known to come and go as Tesla refine the matching. (Speculation based on experience)
Once you have a VIN assigned you can use Vedaprimes service or just follow this or the Waiting Room thread to get an idea.

Reactions: cafz
Hi Bennny,

Which City are you in?
Was a VIN allocated to your car for the order?
Also, Have you been given an estimated delivery date?
From your Membership details, it appears you are in Victoria, Australia

I have heard that a ship has just arrived in Australia for the Q1 Delivery Tesla Model 3 for 2022
Have you received a Delivery date for your Model 3 yet?

I'm in VIC
Ordered a Performance
No VIN allocated yet (checked using Chrome add-on)
No delivery date
Rang Tesla sales department today, apparently I'll know what my delivery date is within the next fortnight. Fingers crossed, the wait is killing me!
If you don't have a VIN, then your car hasn't yet been built. You will only know your delivery date once you get an SMS asking you to choose a date which is typically triggered by your car being booked to leave Port Kembla.

Based on previous patterns they will build the next batch of Australian cars around 8-10 of April, if you're allocated one of those cars then you should start to see a VIN allocated around 15th April with a delivery around mid May.

I'm in VIC
Ordered a Performance
No VIN allocated yet (checked using Chrome add-on)
No delivery date
Rang Tesla sales department today, apparently I'll know what my delivery date is within the next fortnight. Fingers crossed, the wait is killing me!
Have you received your Final Invoice? In the Final Invoice, you will see VIN Number, Build Date, Compliance Date.

I ordered on 7th Jan and having someone pickup my RWD on 26th March. At the time I ordered it said 14-20 weeks so I am within the time frame. But now with the blow out to 5-7 months it is really a bit of a lottery. If you have ordered a RWD it may be quicker but really it is now just a guess as to what will be prioritized in the next batch. The last 2 batches from the factory were mostly LFP cars.

Ordered Model 3 Performance 31/12/21.

Delivery estimate is 14-20 weeks from order date - how accurate is this generally?
How long before the actual delivery date do you get notified?
We ordered Model Y in October 2021 with a slated delivery in March-April 2022. Then it moved to end of 2022 and then moved back to July-Aug 2022. As of this week it has moved to Jan-Mar 2023. It is ridiculous that they can’t have a more precise estimate of delivery, while I acknowledge the supply chain issue. Now we are looking at other EVs and may end up losing the $250!!

We ordered Model Y in October 2021 with a slated delivery in March-April 2022. Then it moved to end of 2022 and then moved back to July-Aug 2022. As of this week it has moved to Jan-Mar 2023. It is ridiculous that they can’t have a more precise estimate of delivery, while I acknowledge the supply chain issue. Now we are looking at other EVs and may end up losing the $250!!
This thread is in the Australia sub-forum. We can't yet order Model Y and delivery timeframes for the US are not comparable to Australia.

Reactions: Loxmyf and moa999