Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate is trade in value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does Tesla’s trade in value work? I just got an estimate on my Ioniq 5 and it ranges from $42K to $46K.

I’d put an order on a Y and see what the final offer is, but they’re charging a $250 non refundable fee.

What happens if they don’t honor their trade in value/range? Just wondering how this works since I did it a trade in with Tesla a few years ago and they gave an exact amount and attached it to the order (and there wasn’t a non refundable fee at the time).

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: cusetownusa
I just did this, trading my 2019 Model 3 in for Model Y. They gave me a range before the order because I asked for the estimate. When I actually ordered, they asked me again if I wanted to do a trade. When I said yes they asked for a picture from each side of the car and one of the inside from the right with the door open. After a day or two, they came back with an offer near the bottom of the initial range. Still fine with that at 60% of what I paid 3.5 years and 44K miles ago.

Does Tesla lowball non Tesla trade-ins? I got a firm number, not a range that is about $4 to $5k below KBB. They asked for no pictures. I'm not sure what the estimate is based on, but it is mechanically great, cosmetically very good (a few paint chips) and average mileage, 37k after 3 years. I don't even think they accounted for the added roof rack and all weather mats.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

How does Tesla’s trade in value work? I just got an estimate on my Ioniq 5 and it ranges from $42K to $46K.

I’d put an order on a Y and see what the final offer is, but they’re charging a $250 non refundable fee.

What happens if they don’t honor their trade in value/range? Just wondering how this works since I did it a trade in with Tesla a few years ago and they gave an exact amount and attached it to the order (and there wasn’t a non refundable fee at the time).

Thanks in advance!
Why are you trading jn your Ioniq?

Does Tesla lowball non Tesla trade-ins? I got a firm number, not a range that is about $4 to $5k below KBB. They asked for no pictures. I'm not sure what the estimate is based on, but it is mechanically great, cosmetically very good (a few paint chips) and average mileage, 37k after 3 years. I don't even think they accounted for the added roof rack and all weather mats.

Any adivce would be appreciated.
It varies. I would get other offers from Carmax, etc. so you have a better idea. If the Tesla offer saves you money on the sales tax then you trade it to Tesla, if not you sell it to Carmax, etc.

I know Carmax defiintely lowballs. I think Tesla's offer is based on the KBB instant offer as it came in a few dollars different from that. Interesting that KBB's trade in value and instant offer are so different. Oh well, I am putting it out to the dealers so far, let the feeding frenzy begin. The car is in demand and in short supply in my area. 2020 Prius Prime Limited, Red with roof rack, all weather mats, and just under 38k miles. Hence I think I will shop it around a bit. Tesla says my offer is good for about 3 weeks. If I delay within that timeframe will it delay my delivery date?

Why are you trading jn your Ioniq?
I paid $47K for it, got my $7,500 tax credit this year…put 16,000 miles on it and Tesla range for trade is $42K-$46K.

It’s a great vehicle, but I can’t pass up a good deal and we originally wanted a Y…plus we’d get another $7,500 tax credit next year making the upgrade free. I’m torn on if I want to proceed though because the Model Y doesn’t have USS which I think is a basic feature.

Reactions: qdeathstar
I paid $47K for it, got my $7,500 tax credit this year…put 16,000 miles on it and Tesla range for trade is $42K-$46K.

It’s a great vehicle, but I can’t pass up a good deal and we originally wanted a Y…plus we’d get another $7,500 tax credit next year making the upgrade free. I’m torn on if I want to proceed though because the Model Y doesn’t have USS which I think is a basic feature.
I don’t think you will miss the USS…. Tesla vision works pretty good. It will be interesting to see how you feel about the ioniq vs model y.

I don’t think you will miss the USS…. Tesla vision works pretty good. It will be interesting to see how you feel about the ioniq vs model y.
I had a Model 3 and I will say the Ioniq 5 is definitely better in my opinion.

But my Model 3 was from 2019…I heard the Y has made a lot of minor improvements compared to when I owned my Model 3.

I’m going to see if an inventory vehicle becomes available. I don’t want to out $250 down and have Tesla change the trade in value on me or miss the March 1 delivery date. If an inventory vehicle becomes available, I’ll jump on it.

I had a Model 3 and I will say the Ioniq 5 is definitely better in my opinion.

But my Model 3 was from 2019…I heard the Y has made a lot of minor improvements compared to when I owned my Model 3.

I’m going to see if an inventory vehicle becomes available. I don’t want to out $250 down and have Tesla change the trade in value on me or miss the March 1 delivery date. If an inventory vehicle becomes available, I’ll jump on it.
Can you please share on what counts Ioniq 5 is better than the 2019 Model 3? Just curious.

I’m in the same boat. I got a range, then put an order in for an inventory Y. I sent in pictures on Friday (there was a number not a range then) and waiting a final offer. If it’s within the range, I’ll move forward. It’s a 21 XC40 recharge. Just want something bigger. I fear they won’t stick to the range or number they gave me though.

I’m in the same boat. I got a range, then put an order in for an inventory Y. I sent in pictures on Friday (there was a number not a range then) and waiting a final offer. If it’s within the range, I’ll move forward. It’s a 21 XC40 recharge. Just want something bigger. I fear they won’t stick to the range or number they gave me though.
We just got a 37800+ offer Canadian for a low mileage long range Model 3 from 2018 - nobody ever picks up the phone they made us try to buy the car over a 814 number texting with us which generated this official very precise looking quote valid for 7 days. They started a $5000 tax incentive on Jan. 13 and we happened to order a new Tesla at a time the incentive came out. Suddenly as we are getting ready to pick up the car Saturday they are showing 7400 dollars less than quoted. When we inquired they claim there is zero room to get the quoted 37800 or anything more than the 30400 they came up with without warning. They are also saying they are keeping out 25O deposit which is so
Unfair because it is not us cancelling for oh well we are no longer feeling it but it is their sales people messing up. They should know how much exactly a Tesla trade is worth because they are Tesla. Most frustrating thing is that you cannot even call a human to try figure things out. Texting this weird number back they finally hint they are slashing the trade in offer - even if you have a written exact quote - drastically in our case by 7400 because prices came down? What does that have to do with the value of our car - it still has the same value it had 7 days ago because in Canada you cannot even order a long range Model 3 currently. This is horrible customer service - they are robbing the Canadian customers of the 5000 government incentive by slashing existing trade in quotes. Here come the kicker - they deducted even more than the 5000 - they offered us 7400 less than they quoted us a week ago. Which beginner is 7400 dollars off their mark when writing up an estimate. The most arrogant thing is that they are not devaluing trade ins after the 13th of January in Canada but that they did it to customers like us who had an offer that was from before the price change on new cars. Also, the nerve to keep my 250 dollars after they misquote by minus 7400 - I wonder if anyone ever got an estimate and then a delivery quote 7400 dollar different - that seems so unprofessional.

Our trade-in offer from Tesla turned out to be pretty low as well, so we'll likely sell it at Carmax (literally right next door to Tesla) or similar, and thus will have a bank draft with guaranteed funds from whoever buys it.

Anyone know if we could take that bank draft from Carmax and simply endorse it over to Tesla at delivery or will we need to deposit it in our own account, which of course might mean we'd have to sell the car a day or two early in order for the funds to hit our account in time for delivery?

I'm trying to ask Tesla the same thing but have been on hold for over an hour. It's a bit disappointing to find that it's still as hard to get a live person on the phone as it was when I took delivery of my first Tesla nearly five years ago.

What
Our trade-in offer from Tesla turned out to be pretty low as well, so we'll likely sell it at Carmax (literally right next door to Tesla) or similar, and thus will have a bank draft with guaranteed funds from whoever buys it.

Anyone know if we could take that bank draft from Carmax and simply endorse it over to Tesla at delivery or will we need to deposit it in our own account, which of course might mean we'd have to sell the car a day or two early in order for the funds to hit our account in time for delivery?

I'm trying to ask Tesla the same thing but have been on hold for over an hour. It's a bit disappointing to find that it's still as hard to get a live person on the phone as it was when I took delivery of my first Tesla nearly five years ago.
What number do you even call to talk to someone? Have you tried talking to them via the number that text you regarding your order information? Sometimes I get lucky and get a response rather quickly.

I think they’ll tell you that it has to be an electronic transfer or a bank draft. I don’t think they’ll accept a third party check, even from CarMax.

Reactions: brkaus