Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How am I doing efficiency wise in the M3 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last trip + Overall pics, I drive this like whatever, no eco in mind with one pedal driving for most of those miles.

3801B5F9-4F8A-4FE6-8AA9-F9F03C211802.jpeg

2F74B4A2-B003-40C5-9C01-1262D9B0E273.jpeg

Where do you live? ~300 Wh/mile for winter driving isn’t too bad... especially if many of those are from short trips.

The 344 is a bit high if that’s a road trip or something. Even at freeway speeds should be ~280 to maybe ~300 with 18” aero wheels...

Try this prior to your next trip:

-Charge for a couple hours to warm the battery
-Chill mode
-Stick to the speed limits
-Drive like your grandmother is in the backseat

It might give you a better idea of what's possible in your area.

UK temps atm -1c to 10c
Try this prior to your next trip:

-Charge for a couple hours to warm the battery
-Chill mode
-Stick to the speed limits
-Drive like your grandmother is in the backseat

It might give you a better idea of what's possible in your area.

Never used chill mode, pre heat for 15 mins most of the time before use, stick to speed limits obviously and never have accelerated to those speed limits like my grandma with that torque. So I guess doing well.

If I sit in the cold during the winter I can get down to 220-240 in my AWD with no-cap aeros. With heat on to 72F it's usually at least 350+ in <45F temps. I'm not exactly sure how it's calculated because I'll toast up the car to 80F before I leave so it can pull that power through the plug but with the preheating it'll actually show 450-650Wh/mile for the first few miles even though the car is already warm and climate control goes back down to 72F when I enter.

So last trip + Overall pics, I drive this like whatever, no eco in mind with one pedal driving for most of those miles.

View attachment 506768

View attachment 506767
What’s the terrain like, is it lots of up hills? And how fast do you drive? 340 is a bit too high as far as being efficient, you can slow down and come up to speed and then feather the peddle. Try keeping it at 95.5km (60mph) for a week and also set it to Chill Mode so to prevent jack rabbit starts. Try for 240, it can be done.

Drive a 2011 Nissan Leaf for a week at 72 mile range, that will teach how to be efficient.

Fred

Last edited:
Looks like you’re staying warm and enjoying your car :D.

Yes the heat is on all the time atm. I wanted to try a winter where I change miles to % and use the car however without a thought of eco, let the car do the eco for me :D. Its not let me down on its estimates yet. If this is worst case at the moment in terms of power usage there really is no problem with this EV for what I will demand of this car. Great news this morning from the UK government bringing forward the deadline for phase out ICE cars.

My SR+ total consumption. I guess I’m on the lower side of usage

I will try and match this when its a lot warmer :D

Reactions: Livex
My wife has a similar usage pattern. 75 mph for about 40-50 miles each way to work. Don't care about the consumption as much as I care about the battery health. The regen is what I can't seem to nail down. No matter how much warming we do in the morning, or scheduled departure, or even half way through her drive those dots never seem to go away

My wife has a similar usage pattern. 75 mph for about 40-50 miles each way to work. Don't care about the consumption as much as I care about the battery health. The regen is what I can't seem to nail down. No matter how much warming we do in the morning, or scheduled departure, or even half way through her drive those dots never seem to go away
How long do you precondition for ? What are the usual temps ?

Two things: I've set scheduled departure for 645am. She leaves between 630-645 so the batter should be prepped fine. I have macrodroid run a cabin preheat at 545 to 75 degrees so it runs anywhere from 45-1 HR. The other day we drive around all day and there was still limited regen hours into our day. It's been warmer here too, between 40-50F

Two things: I've set scheduled departure for 645am. She leaves between 630-645 so the batter should be prepped fine. I have macrodroid run a cabin preheat at 545 to 75 degrees so it runs anywhere from 45-1 HR. The other day we drive around all day and there was still limited regen hours into our day. It's been warmer here too, between 40-50F
I generally find preconditioning from 30-45 minimizing limited regen. The regen dots are typically 3/4 of the way gone by a 40 minute commute. Typically the other 4th I’m not too worried about. But I do notice at about 50 degrees F i can get the dots to go completely away fairly quick