Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are 2021+ Model S (aka Palladium) headlights vs other Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
Can anyone with the refreshed MS (Palladium - one with the yoke) express their opinions about the new headlights? I drove a few previous versions and the headlights were pretty poor. On my 2021 MY LR, the headlights are pretty good for most of my driving. So if you've driven the MY and can compare to the MS that would be helpful.

Otherwise any subjective opinions or comparison to other cars would be helpful. I am concerned they didn't do much to improve the crappy lights.

Thanks for the quick response. That is unfortunate and pretty depressing as I end up driving a lot in rain. Anyone done anything to improve the stock lights or are you pretty much stuck? Any aftermarket replacement or maybe I'll have to add on auxiliary lights.

Reactions: Dinosaurus
Rumor is there are new taillights which portends new headlights. Not sure since they just redid the front fascia in the refresh but infrastructure package authorizes matrix headlights to be approved for use in US, so change is coming.

I've never had any complaints with the S headlights. Don't know what you're talking about. They illuminate the road well, don't blind oncoming drivers, and look good. What's the problem?

I suppose if it weren't the headlights, or brake lights, or door handles, or wheel covers, or paint color, or windshield wipers, or dashboard trim, someone would find something else to complain about. Just don't buy the car! Go get a VW or a Ford! As for MY Tesla, for me, it's the Best Car Ever.

The headlights aren’t the quality you’d expect on an $80k+ car. Arguably the gold standard of headlights are the RX-350 projectors. I have these retrofitted on my Tacoma and they blow the headlights of the Model S out of the water.

I've never had any complaints with the S headlights. Don't know what you're talking about. They illuminate the road well, don't blind oncoming drivers, and look good. What's the problem?
The problem is they are both subjectively and objectively poor at illumination, which is kind of an important thing for a headlight to do.

Rumor is there are new taillights which portends new headlights. Not sure since they just redid the front fascia in the refresh but infrastructure package authorizes matrix headlights to be approved for use in US, so change is coming.
DOT has up to two years to write the regulations and make this a thing, so its not happening particularly soon.

• Informative
Reactions: All In
The problem is they are both subjectively and objectively poor at illumination, which is kind of an important thing for a headlight to do.

The M3 got a good rating on the same test compared to the P for poor for the MS. Absolutely sub par headlights for a car in this class and price range. Maybe if you are mostly in the city or on the interstates it might not be an issue but I spend a lot of time on backroads where there are a lot of animals along the road and a lot of rain when I am in Florida which is about half the year.

The M3 got a good rating on the same test compared to the P for poor for the MS. Absolutely sub par headlights for a car in this class and price range. Maybe if you are mostly in the city or on the interstates it might not be an issue but I spend a lot of time on backroads where there are a lot of animals along the road and a lot of rain when I am in Florida which is about half the year.
The 3/Y headlights are substantially better in every way.

I remember the first time I got a loaner S with the new LED headlights. I had no idea they sucked until I saw the nebular beam pattern with massive spillover. My HIDs on my P85D is far superior to the current S LEDs. Sad thing is my LED beams on my 2019 Prius are far superior to my P85Ds HIDs.

Reactions: ucmndd
I remember the first time I got a loaner S with the new LED headlights. I had no idea they sucked until I saw the nebular beam pattern with massive spillover. My HIDs on my P85D is far superior to the current S LEDs. Sad thing is my LED beams on my 2019 Prius are far superior to my P85Ds HIDs.
Yeah, the post-refresh LEDs are a big step back from the original HIDs. Totally agree.