Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How big is the Model 3 trunk? Will it fit a whisky barrel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from a trip to Scotland! Went to the cooperage and spent lots of time with barrels (as well as many distilleries).

Maybe a quarter cask, but even that may be questionable. The trunk is pretty big but doesn’t have a lot of height. (But this is just a guess- could probably get the exact dimensions and find out for sure).

Seems like the trunk is a no go. What about the back seats? Do you guys think the opening of the door is wide enough to slide a barrel through?
Assuming you're talking about a standard 53 gallon barrel, it will probably fit through the rear door opening, but it's going to be close. Also, maneuvering a nearly 400 pound barrel through the door without damaging anything will not be easy. Good luck!

Did your Model 3 come with a tape measure?

My Model 3 is getting some paint work so I can't even measure if I had a tape measure.

Haha, fair enough, just seemed a strange question coming from someone with so many posts, my bad, let me see what I can see, also I really did not mean to be so rude, when I read it back though it is definitely rude so accept my apologies with some pictures please.

It's a no go i'm afraid, the choke point is the top of the door panel and it sits right in the middle of a 26" circle

31A507F6-0DB0-482A-8E30-342D85E9E2F7.jpeg
4347745D-029A-4EAE-87ED-126FDCE7B668.jpeg
80002F88-CAFC-4D0A-8B57-05F119B4D38E.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha, fair enough, just seemed a strange question coming from someone with so many posts, my bad, let me see what I can see, also I really did not mean to be so rude, when I read it back though it is definitely rude so accept my apologies with some pictures please.

It's a no go i'm afraid, the choke point is the top of the door panel and it sits right in the middle of a 26" circle

View attachment 392310 View attachment 392311 View attachment 392312
I think if you came in at the right angle and moved the front seat forward while loading the barrel in, there's a fair chance it will go. Also depends how big the particular barrel is; they can vary by an inch or two, and the top and bottom diameters are a few inches smaller than the middle. It's going to be close. :)

I think if you came in at the right angle and moved the front seat forward while loading the barrel in, there's a fair chance it will go. Also depends how big the particular barrel is; they can vary by an inch or two, and the top and bottom diameters are a few inches smaller than the middle. It's going to be close. :)
I don't see it happening at 26" girth with the narrowest width being almost exactly centered on the diameter of the barrel.