Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Bug Report works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wondered how the (verbal command from the scroll wheel) Bug Report works. Today I've been messaging with a service rep and got a better understanding.
The reports are not sent anywhere, nor is Tesla automatically notified.
They just sit in the system waiting for service to review (a high tech stickie note).
How does service know to review?
You have to make a service appointment for the specific issue, and reference the date and time when you created the bug report.
Service appointments can be 2-3 weeks away. The problem is (I can't say for sure), but I don't believe service will look at an appointment, and the notes, including bug report, etc., until a few days before the appointment. I set up an appointment for August 20 a week ago, and finally heard from them today.
As such, if you create bug reports, but don't set a service appointment, the report goes nowhere.
If you do, wait a week, or two, to hear from them.
The good news is once you get a messaging thread set up, you can ask a few questions, but you can't go to an older thread and reply with a new issue. You have to create a new service appointment
Phenomenally difficult system, but as it appears to me, this is the only way you can report a bug, problem, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
Thanks! I've been saying this everywhere but no one seemed to believe me :D

There are a few of us who have tried to tell people this. Yourself, @Knightshade , and myself on some posts, when someone says "send a bug report so tesla gets it and can change x / y / z".

I first heard it from @Knightshade a while ago, and also was told this same thing by a tesla service center employee that I knew, who moved from the BMW dealership I used to go to, to Tesla, himself. I mention that just to say that I had known this person as an acquaintance over a few years time, from a BMW dealership before I went to tesla, so we had an existing relationship of sorts.

Anyway, yeah I feel pretty comfortable saying that those bug reports dont go anywhere. Thanks @haroldo for further confirmation.

Reactions: GtiMart and haroldo
The funny thing is, if you watch any of the videos from the beta users, you see them constantly saying “oh this is a mistake, I’m gonna report it” and then they tap the screen.
So the system exists, just wish they’d roll it out for the whole fleet. Might overwhelm them, but then again with AI it might learn.

The funny thing is, if you watch any of the videos from the beta users, you see them constantly saying “oh this is a mistake, I’m gonna report it” and then they tap the screen.
So the system exists, just wish they’d roll it out for the whole fleet. Might overwhelm them, but then again with AI it might learn.

Yeah that's the problem- the FSDBeta button is specifically to take a system/AP snapshot from a SMALL group of people, to be manually reviewed by humans to address issues.

There's no way that'd be workable for a fleet that's already north of 1 million cars and will be north of 2 million in a year, and growing massively every year.

Reactions: GtiMart
I feel pretty comfortable saying that those bug reports dont go anywhere
Are there any owners clubs, blogs, or websites, that have enough...clout, that they can communicate with the mothership?
I can understand them wanting to keep hundreds of thousands of drivers at bay. Everyone calling in saying "I heard a ding but don't know what it is" will overwhelm them, but it would be great for a site, such as this, to find issues that affect a large enough group of drivers and be able to communicate it with them.
There's no way that'd be workable for a fleet that's already north of 1 million cars and will be north of 2 million in a year, and growing massively every year.
There are 1.4 billion iPhones in the wild ...selling around 20 thousand a day..., just sayin'
Yes, I know they're different, but on the other hand, Tesla's now worth almost a trillion dollars, time to stop acting like a start up and start acting like a grownup?

There are 1.4 billion iPhones in the wild ...selling around 20 thousand a day..., just sayin'
Yes, I know they're different, but on the other hand, Tesla's now worth almost a trillion dollars, time to stop acting like a start up and start acting like a grownup?

Just sayin what though? My iphone doesn't have a general-for-everyone "bug report" button either.

Apple has a feedback assistant for bug reports from a much narrower scope of developers- more similar to the FSDBeta feedback button.

But in general if I want to "report" an issue to Apple I need to open a service ticket just like with Tesla.

...My iphone doesn't have a general-for-everyone "bug report" button either...
But in general if I want to "report" an issue to Apple I need to open a service ticket just like with Tesla.

1-800-MYAPPLE...most calls are answered within 2-3 minutes (usually less). They also have a call back button if you don't want to wait on hold.
Also, to report an issue they have a Product Feedback link (it would be nice if there was a page like this at tesla.com) .
My friend, who works at Cupertino, said they read them.... and this is a heck of a lot easier than Tesla's system...IMHO

1-800-MYAPPLE...most calls are answered within 2-3 minutes (usually less). They also have a call back button if you don't want to wait on hold.

Chat support is available 8:00am - 3:00pm PST for all Tesla owners in North America. Visit our support pages and click on the Contact Us icon at the bottom of the page to chat with us about your car-related questions.

Also, to report an issue Product Feedback my friend, who works at Cupertino, said they read them.... and this is a heck of a lot easier than Tesla's system...IMHO

Tesla said:
log into your Tesla Account to submit a question. If you don’t have a Tesla Account, use the Contact Us form.

Are there any owners clubs, blogs, or websites, that have enough...clout, that they can communicate with the mothership?
I can understand them wanting to keep hundreds of thousands of drivers at bay. Everyone calling in saying "I heard a ding but don't know what it is" will overwhelm them, but it would be great for a site, such as this, to find issues that affect a large enough group of drivers and be able to communicate it with them.

If I were Tesla, I would not want to listen to the general public. Just as a very small example of this, from this very website, we have these two opinions:

fsd lawsuit.JPG

Vision Only Model Y (May 2021 build)

Autopilot has been working great until the recent software upgrade and now Autosteer will ask for hands on the wheel every 0.1 miles in the city and 0.6 miles on the freeway.

Has anyone else experienced this in the latest update? I was comfortable with not having to touch the wheel until every 2-3 miles or so on the freeway but now it’s really annoying and has me contemplating a hardware based workaround 🤔

So, we have one group of people who are clamoring for lawsuits, and other people who complain about "having to put their hands on the wheel too much when using FSD, maybe I should use hardware to defeat that".

These are not isolated instances here either, there are large groups of people here who want to sue tesla for not delivering FSD because "it sucks" and there are other large groups of people who dont understand what the problem is with using wheel weights to "defeat the nag".

Why in the world would tesla want to listen to customers from blogs or such?

Reactions: haroldo
Chat support is available 8:00am - 3:00pm PST for all Tesla owners in North America. Visit our support pages and click on the Contact Us icon at the bottom of the page to chat with us about your car-related questions.
Nope, it's not working, my chat button is greyed out, with or without words in the comment section. I attempted to let them know that 24.4 killed my sentry system at least as it pertains to the USB thumb drive. No camera on the screen where it normally is.

chat.JPG