Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can Autopilot be applauded? Any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone.

There are no shortages of antiTesla/ antiAutopilot stories going around. The world seems to velcro itself to bad news these days.
How can we as Tesla owners and advocates force success stories such as this through the FUD?

How can we start the world spinning on a different axis that supports good news?

Tesla Model 3 on Autopilot avoids crash in near-miss caught on dashcam

Go Tesla Go!!!! Who out there is willing to write a good story and risk their career?

Just ignore it and don't read the articles. Every time someone opens and reads an article, it gains ground.

BTW, the features that the "autopilot" has currently is the same features as in MANY other vehicles. My 2018 Leaf with ProPilot does the same thing, but no where as good as the Tesla. But you don't hear stories about it.

Just ignore it and don't read the articles. Every time someone opens and reads an article, it gains ground.

BTW, the features that the "autopilot" has currently is the same features as in MANY other vehicles. My 2018 Leaf with ProPilot does the same thing, but no where as good as the Tesla. But you don't hear stories about it.

I can ignore it - sure, however the casual non-Tesla-informed person ( such as my sister ) is scared to death that I'm getting a Tesla because she read the 3 articles about Tesla's catching on fire. Not even realizing that there were 41 Honda ( her car ) fires on the road....TODAY in the US.

Lastly. Tesla's Autopilot is TOTALLY different than other car manufacturers autopilots. Totally different. The end result that all of the cars drive straight down the road....sure....but they are totally different in function:

For example:

In a Nissan: Both right and left hand markers need to be detected by the single front camera. Steering assist will engage or disengage depending on the visibility or presence of lane markers, though the Intelligent Cruise Control will remain active. If the vehicle comes to a complete stop in a traffic jam situation for more than three seconds, the driver just presses the resume button or taps the accelerator pedal to begin moving again.

That operation is No where like Tesla's.

I could go on and on about their differences.

Like this:

In a Nissan: Steering assist is cancelled in inclement weather if the windshield wipers are in the low or high position (if lane lines can be detected, the system can remain active when the wipers are in the intermittent mode or if the mist function is activated).

NOwhere like a Tesla.

The question is emphasized and remains. What are some good ideas on how we can promote Tesla's phenomenal auto-pilot and its constant improvements?

Setup a blog reporting (mostly positive) news about AP. Invite reader contributions and curate the best AP news for your blog

Videos about AP in action avoiding an accident speaks for themselves. These should be consolidated and posted on a central site. With luck, the site might get wildly popular and the defacto go-to URL for all things AP. This should promote it nicely.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Wait, that video didn't show Autopilot avoiding accident. It was just the collusion audio warning and the driver changed lane and honked. I don't think Autopilot would change lane by itself currently?
Wait....that video didn't NOT show Autopilot avoiding an accident either.

You don't think Autopilot would change lanes by itself? Why?

This is exactly the reaction I'm talking about.

Reactions: chinnam3
The Lane Assist/collision avoidance won't move out of the lane. That would be far too dangerous for the car to do in a split-second. The owner's manual documents this behavior, and I've experienced it: It doesn't cross the line... it only nudges over in the same lane. In this video, the driver was paying attention, intervened, and honked his horn... as he should have.

Having people think the car will do drastic avoidance moves all by itself is dangerous and builds a false sense of security.

I can ignore it - sure, however the casual non-Tesla-informed person ( such as my sister ) is scared to death that I'm getting a Tesla because she read the 3 articles about Tesla's catching on fire. Not even realizing that there were 41 Honda ( her car ) fires on the road....TODAY in the US.
I would say one of the best things you can do is educate your sister. I don’t even have my Tesla yet and I’ve already corrected misconceptions about Tesla and EVs in general with many friends and relatives. One has placed an order after doing a test drive and several more seem just as excited for me to get mine as I am, just so they can ride in it and decide if they want a Tesla for their next car.

You know - “Think Globally, Act Locally”

The Lane Assist/collision avoidance won't move out of the lane. That would be far too dangerous for the car to do in a split-second. The owner's manual documents this behavior, and I've experienced it: It doesn't cross the line... it only nudges over in the same lane. In this video, the driver was paying attention, intervened, and honked his horn... as he should have.

Having people think the car will do drastic avoidance moves all by itself is dangerous and builds a false sense of security.

I wouldn't think it would be far too dangerous for the car to do. Not at all.

Do you know how many times per second Autopilot checks its position in the lane relative to every other car around it? Its much faster than humans.
I don't see avoiding side collisions any different than Autopilot hitting the brakes to avoid hitting a car in front of you.

If a human exercised this maneuver....what makes a computer doing it "more" dangerous? A computer would have known that there was no one in its right lane....just like the human did.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
I wouldn't think it would be far too dangerous for the car to do. Not at all.

Do you know how many times per second Autopilot checks its position in the lane relative to every other car around it? Its much faster than humans.

If a human exercised this maneuver....what makes a computer doing it "more" dangerous? A computer would have known that there was no one in its right lane....just like the human did.
Current "Enhanced" Autopilot doesn't even have all the cameras active, and uses the shorter range ultrasonic sensors for "seeing" to the side. Have you used the auto lane change feature? Have you noticed the poor behavior of it's blind spot monitoring? It's not ready for these types of quick decisions. But yes, it'll get better... it has to, as they move to FSD.

Reactions: C141medic