Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I make a software update suggestion (blind spot camera with turn-signals)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't post on the official Tesla forums anymore. They directed me to another site (engage.tesla.com, I think), but there's no forums there, nor a way to make a suggestion that I found.

I want to suggest to show each blind-spot camera where the car is shown, when you activate the turn-signals. The cameras are already there, and you can click on the camera button to turn them on (which is dangerous while driving), so it should be a relatively easy thing to add. Plus it'd make the car a lot safer to drive as well. Many cars already have that feature, including even many Hyundais and Kias. Hope there's a way to do that. Or maybe Tesla monitors these forums??? Thanks gang.
JC

Reactions: deanster2u
This is reportedly already in the works. Someone tweeted this to Elon some time ago and he responded with "Ok". So maybe we'll see this in the relatively near future.
Awesome. I figured I wasn't the only one to suggest it :). Thank you.

As a side comment, did Tesla drop the price of the '21 M3 LR? I paid $49K+ on Dec 29, and now it says $46K+. And even if it's without destination, it'd still be like 2 grand less. Oh well.

Can't post on the official Tesla forums anymore. They directed me to another site (engage.tesla.com, I think), but there's no forums there, nor a way to make a suggestion that I found.

I want to suggest to show each blind-spot camera where the car is shown, when you activate the turn-signals. The cameras are already there, and you can click on the camera button to turn them on (which is dangerous while driving), so it should be a relatively easy thing to add. Plus it'd make the car a lot safer to drive as well. Many cars already have that feature, including even many Hyundais and Kias. Hope there's a way to do that. Or maybe Tesla monitors these forums??? Thanks gang.
JC
What you are asking for is not possible. Go look at your Tesla and right next to the side repeater cams are your indicator lights. What happens when you turn the blinker on at night? It lights up and would blind the camera.

Two problems.

1) you will be looking to the center screen and somewhat down when you need to be looking at a mirror that 50% of the time is in the opposite direction.

2) go out at night, turn on your backup/side camera view and use the turn signal. Nope, just flashing images.

This isn’t to say the car couldn’t ‘chime’ if it sensed an object when signaling. You know, since the car does not chime enough.

Reactions: XLR82XS
It's possible that Tesla wants owners to buy FSD for Auto Lane Change instead.
Nobody uses FSD all the time, so that's not an excuse IMO.

What you are asking for is not possible. Go look at your Tesla and right next to the side repeater cams are your indicator lights. What happens when you turn the blinker on at night? It lights up and would blind the camera.
Well, it might not be possible at night (so how does FSD do it???), but 100% effective during the day. Why not give owners an extra safety feature? The car does NOT have proper blind spot anyway (with rear radar), so not sure why Tesla didn't do that since the beginning of having blind-spot cameras.

1) you will be looking to the center screen and somewhat down when you need to be looking at a mirror that 50% of the time is in the opposite direction.

2) go out at night, turn on your backup/side camera view and use the turn signal. Nope, just flashing images.
Don't understand your #1 point. You'd have the image near the upper left corner of the screen, where it's perfectly visible even with your peripheral vision.
On #2, no sure how FSD can do lane changes at night then, but even if it's not possible, as I said above, it'd be 100 times better to at least have it during the day :).

A ton more cars flash the light in the mirror you are looking at and/or beep. Head checking is for motorcycles. I’m tall and the Model 3 screen is low and out of my viewing path. You know, the viewing path of the three mirrors you are using in addition the to road in front. Glad Tesla has not added a view of the camera with a signal, it would make bad drivers even worse.

A ton more cars flash the light in the mirror you are looking at and/or beep. Head checking is for motorcycles. I’m tall and the Model 3 screen is low and out of my viewing path. You know, the viewing path of the three mirrors you are using in addition the to road in front. Glad Tesla has not added a view of the camera with a signal, it would make bad drivers even worse.

100% wrong, a full side view camera makes motorcycles much easier to see. Two of my previous cars had this. It covers everything and eliminates all blind spots.

I guess you have never seen a semi truck? Without cameras and radars, how can it possibly be done.
As a rider, I’ll avoid you and your blind spot. Thanks but no thanks. Drivers Ed these days teaches drivers aid.

JC
It's easy enough to set your side view mirrors that what you see in the mirror overlaps what you see on the touch screen, effectively eliminating any blindspot. I like you suggestion, but until Tesla implements it, you might want to try this.