Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Can I Politely Decline Speaking To Strangers About My Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?

I think it's because you're a female; and that's sad, but it's also more common in the South (we're in NC). I've been stopped < 10 times in a year, and only once was by a man by himself. Usually it was women or couples. I've been stopped far less than when we drove a Leaf in 2012, when EVs were so new.

Almost every time my wife drives it, she gets stopped by some guy. I'm thinking they think it's cool, and see it as an easy "in" to try to strike up conversation and pick her up. It doesn't really bother her, but if it did, she'd tell them to GTFO. She's not afraid. If you're not someone who can tell people off, I feel for you. I'd try to park defensively so you're at least not blocked in (i.e. try to find spots where you can pull through), and maybe wear a wedding ring if you're not married already. I'd also have your phone out and pretend you're talking on it, or wear AirPods or something that allows you to pretend to ignore them.

Also, you're in LA, so maybe consider CCW. I'll probably get disliked here for that, but you shouldn't feel unsafe. I personally love it when people come up to me; I wish it happened more often. I had 2 young guys come into my office and ask us whose car was out there, and I gave them a ride in it.

Just do what I do when I am at home when someone knocks on my door wanting to sell me something.
"Owner? No I just live here. I don't even pay rent."
"Do I believe in Jesus Christ? My family are Buddhists."

So for you..
"Oh this is my <insert relationship>'s car. My car is in the shop. I don't know anything about it."

That's the best you could do. You can't stop them from approaching, but you could turn them away easily.

I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?
If someone blocks you in or does any actual threatening behavior, you don't owe them courtesy or consideration, and you shouldn't try to provide it.
On the other hand, if somebody is just innocently asking questions and you perceive the person as a threat, I don't have an answer for that.

I wish I had good advice to give. I don't. It's certainly unfair.

I get stopped, but rarely, and I don't ever recall being blocked in by someone. OTOH, I'm a very big middle-aged guy - my concern is usually that I'm intimidating people unintentionally. I do tend to agree with some of the other posters that part of your situation isn't just that Teslas are less common in Louisiana, but that you are "a young female." People are less likely to be nervous about talking to you, and some people will use your car as an excuse to talk to you.

Was there any good advice in this thread? I saw some serious efforts, but they mostly come down to "lie." I wish we had something better to offer in terms of "politely" turning down these interactions. Is it possible to consider saying, "I'm sorry, but I've had some negative experiences, so I don't have conversations like this with strangers about my car any more."

Reactions: GeoX750 and MXWing
I guess my life isn't that rushed that I can't take a few minutes here and there to help educate some people. I suggest you take a breather and free up some time in your stressed out schedule.

That completely ignores the fact that she said that sometimes she does not FEEL SAFE. That has nothing to do with "busy schedules" and is a pretty insensitive thing to say to someone who feels that way.

Never stop moving, keep walking away. Pair that with a short "I'm sorry, I'm late and can't talk. The car is awesome. Have a great day!" all while steadily walking away.

Status
Not open for further replies.