Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how can i tell if i got my nano coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK everyone,

This may sound like a dumb question, but I just got a clear bra and nano coating for my MS. I can obviously tell that my clear bra was put on, but how can I tell that the nano coating was put on?

1) It is the ceramic pro. The package I got was the "gold package" from my shop. 4 layers of ceramic pro 9h and one coat of the ceramic pro lite.

2) my understanding was the shop did a color correction to the entire car first, then put on the clear bra, then the coating over the entire car.

3) they said they did the back of the car first with the ceramic pro because they had to put on the bra, then the next day, put the ceramic pro on the rest of the car.

4) how do I tell the coating was put on everything vs just a very good detail to the existing paint? When I wash car, will it bead differently as the coating is supposed to be very hydrophobic? Is the glassy feeling enough to know?

Don't get me wrong, the car looks amazing, I am just wondering if there is a way for me to tell that it was actually coated or just detailed extremely well.

I know for mine, it was incredibly obvious when I first washed the car. The water formed big beads, and just ran off the surface. Using a leaf blower, I can just remove the water very easily. Now whether I got all the coats I paid for, I have no idea how to know that.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I just applied ceramic coating to my car myself. If you have a dark color car you can see that there is a deeper gloss to the paint compare to non coated area (check door edges or area that can't be coated easily). Also the coating should be very micro scratch resistant. If you get swirls easily while washing your car then either it didn't get coated correctly or the coat has wore off.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I cant personally speak to how you would know if you got all 4 layers with Ceramic Pro there is not really a way to tell. While a paint thickness gauge MIGHT pick it up there is a reason why it is called 'nano' its a very minute amount of thickness. And if you didn't measure your paint before then it is a totally useless measurement as paint thickness can vary from the factory to the amount that a coating would add.

My question would be did you get any sort of warranty card or anything with it? Again, I am unsure with Ceramic Pro but with Opti-coat you get a warranty card with the warranty number that you can look up for yourself.

As far as visually being able to tell you should be able to see crazy hydrophobics with the water just running off the surface and the paint looking much glossier than when you dropped it off.

So I have a friend who is a detailer, he is going to do my car when he has an opening soon, but he was over last month and did my hood with Kenzo IGL Ceramic coating to show me the difference. I still have to go have the whole car done but whenever I wash the car, I always notice how the hood is clean literally with no work and the hood is last to get dirty. I have a black car so while all the paint looks good when clean, the paint on the hood looks little darker and deeper color.

Just like many have mentioned, the first easiest sign that you received a ceramic coating is that water should bead off of the panels of the car. Instead of water droplets looking like "splats", they should look like a ball sitting on top of your paint. If you're a little more attentative, you should notice it being shinier than before.
As far as layers of coating, it's really difficult to tell without a thickness gauge and even then it's difficult. As long as you brought it to a shop that's reputable, you should be able to trust them and their work.

Here's a quick picture of what water beading looks like in case you weren't sure. This is actually ClearGuard Nano (a clearbra) that has built in hydrophobic properties in the film, but it'll look the same.
DSC08603.JPG
DSC08604.JPG