Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can we make P Model 3 sub 3 sec 0-60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some tips for shedding weight:

-Jog daily and eat less should save you 20 lbs. :)
-Wear ultralight clothing and ultralight sneakers.
-Dump the easy items like floor mats, speakers, door panels.
-Dump the AC.
-Upgrade to the lightest wheels, usually smallest diameter.
-Upgrade the tires to stickies.

Measure before and after weight changes for each and every item.

P.S. The best upgrade would be to bribe a Tesla engineer to give you a special option.

The first question is what is the actual 0-60 time. The second question is what is limiting it. It's probably not tires, so stickier tires won't help. Weight certainly will help. The service center won't pull out seats for you though.
You could probably take a 3-400lbs out if you strip the interior and replace the seats. That won't be enough to get you into the 2s though. You could go farther, replace windows, body panels and the like for a few more pounds, that might be enough, but probably not.

So you'll need to change the software as most likely the hardware could handle the extra power (for a few runs at least), although you might need to swap a fuse. That just means you need to figure out how to mod the software... easy peasy.

It's likely pack limited. Larger packs mean more power (hence Roadster v4 having 200kWh battery). I'm sure it could be done but it would trash the batteries.

As battery tech improves and they get 100kWh into M3 then sub 3's will be within reach.

Unless you have a plan to remove ~ 500 lbs of weight, bet on something else.
Your ability to skirt physics is ... limited

What physics is limiting it?

The 3 has arguably the same battery specs as an S85 (~77kWh). So I'd imagine the P3 battery should be able to output as much power as a P85D which I believe was 3.1s, but the P3 will be close to 1000lb lighter!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
What physics is limiting it?

The 3 has arguably the same battery specs as an S85 (~77kWh). So I'd imagine the P3 battery should be able to output as much power as a P85D which I believe was 3.1s, but the P3 will be close to 1000lb lighter!

Exactly! Also keep in mind the P85D Ludicrous got 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. With such a weight reduction from Model S to Model 3 you'd think sub 3 seconds should be possible even with slightly less power.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Exactly! Also keep in mind the P85D Ludicrous got 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. With such a weight reduction from Model S to Model 3 you'd think sub 3 seconds should be possible even with slightly less power.

Looking at the "Factory Mode" image for Model 3 battery it states max discharge at 370 kW. I believe the P85D had motor outputs of a little over 400 kW, and the P85DL near 450kW. I wonder if the P3 will raise the limits on the max battery discharge.

Looking at the "Factory Mode" image for Model 3 battery it states max discharge at 370 kW. I believe the P85D had motor outputs of a little over 400 kW, and the P85DL near 450kW. I wonder if the P3 will raise the limits on the max battery discharge.
I'd hope so...

What are the odds the the Roadster II is using two Model 3 motors in the rear, an AC induction (or even a third Model 3 motor) in the front with a battery pack full of 2170s....?

Well there's this...
Screenshot_20180522-061848_Twitter.jpg

Reactions: JeffK
All the Tesla cars are limited by software. If you can afford to break your warranty and break some parts you can afford to hire Jason Hughes' caliber of talent and root your car and dial up the torque, max torque and max power settings. If you can't get to the limits of extra sticky tires that way you can play with he battery chemistry as long as the fuses allow and you have even more money to burn.

All the Tesla cars are limited by software. If you can afford to break your warranty and break some parts you can afford to hire Jason Hughes' caliber of talent and root your car and dial up the torque, max torque and max power settings. If you can't get to the limits of extra sticky tires that way you can play with he battery chemistry as long as the fuses allow and you have even more money to burn.

Fuses should not be a problem, there are options ...

fuse-replacement-guide-jpg.92963

Tesla currently dominates the EV market both in performance and aesthetics. I'm curious how much of the market is primarily from performance enthusiasts.

If a competitor made a no frills EV car with no touch screen, no auto pilot, essentially an EV Carolla clone but had a sub 3 second 0 to 60, would there be a big enough market for it to scale at a reasonable price point (say $45-50k)?

No.
There is one single make-it-or-brake-it as a mass market car: supercharger network.

I'd love to have an electric A5 or 4 series bimmer.
If I could only charge it with 50kW at random public charging point using whatever membership particular charger demaned, these A5 and 4series would be out of the question.

No way I'm paying 50k for a car I cannot use.