Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can you confirm you got delivered a P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a P3D without the performance upgrade. I was just curious how can I tell on delivery day that my car is indeed a performance model and not an AWD? There is no VIN distinction. There is no badge. The wheels, brakes, interior, exterior, etc. are the same. As far as I can tell there is no way to determine short of timing my 0-60 which I obviously can't do at delivery. Any ideas?

I am a little paranoid that I might get an AWD accidentally. Even Tesla can easily make a mistake with no distinguishing visual differences.

There are a few ways:
  • Check that the window sticker lists the Performance Upgrade Package.
  • Check that the badge on the display shows the red underline on the "DUAL MOTOR" wording.
  • Check that you have the aluminum pedal covers installed.
  • You should either have a carbon fiber spoiler on the car or it should be listed on the due bill as something that they need to install for you later.

The first P3D's aren't coming out with any badging, and if you didn't pay for the 5k performance package, your performance model 3 looks exactly like any other M3 with Aero wheels, hence the initial paranoia of the OP and myself. As others stated before, you can see the version of your car when you hit the Tesla logo on the screen, or on the app, ut this isn't immediately apparent when you're signing papers and looking at what appears to be a "normal" model 3

press the Tesla 'T" on the top of the screen.. it should have some description of your car
This is what Tesla delivery told me when I asked last week (we were admiring a 3P with white interior awaiting delivery). Not all dual drive cars will have the "dual motor" badging since owners can choose not to have it installed, or remove it themselves.

3Ps with the performance upgrade package will have the 20 inch wheels and red brake calipers but 3Ps without the upgrade package could be hard to spot without the badging.

Last edited:
Some of you guys still seem confused like I was. Choice 2 is EXACTLY the same as Choice 3, just SLOWER, unless you check the $5,000 Option which is only available for Choice 3.
upload_2018-8-13_10-52-46.png

Reactions: davedavedave
You're being suckered by not spending the extra $5k as you're only getting a slightly faster car for a whopping $10k.
Some of us view the 10mph increase in top speed as irrelevant, don't want the ridiculous wagon wheels, and are perfectly capable of sorting out use case appropriate suspension, brakes, and tires themselves. The difference in acceleration, however, isn't something that can be easily corrected post-purchase and it's a difference that isn't slight or subtle.

How do you know? What are the mechanical differences? Probably just removes a software limitation to the drive unit. Same way they made the Model S (I think 75) faster a while back...
...and if you'd take a moment to look into what it took to reverse engineer enough of the Model S to convert a non-performance car to a performance car using the non-performance drive unit, you'd have a better idea of how deceptive the "it's just software" statement really is.

Reactions: Runt8
How do you know? What are the mechanical differences? Probably just removes a software limitation to the drive unit. Same way they made the Model S (I think 75) faster a while back...
A software limitation would be one of the more difficult things to get around, and I guarantee Tesla isn't going to release an update that makes non-P AWD models as fast as the P models.

Reactions: Petra
There is so much ignorance on some of the last couple posts my head hurts. <deep breath>

Yes, $10K is a LOT OF MONEY FOR 1 second. Try to get 1 second faster on any other car. Pick a Corvette or M option for BMW.
Don't want it or don't see the value? Don't buy it.

Who cares if the Performance Upgrade is a software unlock? Value is WILLINGNESS TO PAY. Nothing else.

Tesla has no reason to ever offer a software unlock of regular AWD. It would cast a shadow on dubious claims that the P3's are better binned, double burn in, etc. It would cause tons of market confusion as such a big difference no longer matches the maroney sticker, claims against insurance, etc, etc. Not practical at all.

There are a few ways:
  • Check that the window sticker lists the Performance Upgrade Package.
  • Check that the badge on the display shows the red underline on the "DUAL MOTOR" wording.
  • Check that you have the aluminum pedal covers installed.
  • You should either have a carbon fiber spoiler on the car or it should be listed on the due bill as something that they need to install for you later.
Also, if you're paranoid take a picture of the about page (tap the T at the top of the screen) that should include your car's name, configuration, firmware version and VIN. If none of that information looks correct, make sure you have an email conversation regarding the discrepancies with Tesla. For the information that is correct, you now have a record of what you took delivery of in case "something surprising" (bug, glitch, etc.) happens with future firmware installations.

Tesla has no reason to ever offer a software unlock of regular AWD. It would cast a shadow on dubious claims that the P3's are better binned, double burn in, etc. It would cause tons of market confusion as such a big difference no longer matches the maroney sticker, claims against insurance, etc, etc. Not practical at all.
... and would likely impact Tesla's budgeting for warranty claims.

Reactions: MXWing and MP3Mike
You're being suckered by not spending the extra $5k as you're only getting a slightly faster car for a whopping $10k.

If I were to buy the Performance model there is no way I would pay for the $5K upgrade. It's mostly cosmetic, and most of the appearance items are not something I would want. I have no desire to ever go 155 MPH. First thing I would do is sell the spoiler. I don't want 20" wheels. I can paint my own brakes for less than $100. And their are aftermarket lowering kits on the market that are cheaper and and actually give a better ride.

Nobody who buys a Performance model without paying for the $5K upgrade is being "suckered." They're doing what is right for themselves.

Reactions: Msjulie
I can paint my own brakes for less than $100

The brakes aren't just painted, they are completely different. And a good BBK would cost most of the $5k.

And at this point we don't know if the track mode feature will be on all performance Model 3s or only on ones with the Performance Upgrade Package. (I assume it will only come with the $5k upgrade as it likely puts more strain on the brakes.)

Reactions: 0ptions
The brakes aren't just painted, they are completely different. And a good BBK would cost most of the $5k.

And at this point we don't know if the track mode feature will be on all performance Model 3s or only on ones with the Performance Upgrade Package. (I assume it will only come with the $5k upgrade as it likely puts more strain on the brakes.)

I know what a good BBK costs. Trust me. I spent $3000 of my own money for one on a BMW. But I don't need it, and for the driving I do it wouldn't ever use it. And I could care less about track mode.

If someone cares about the brakes, track mode, spoiler, extra 10 mph, etc. then they are perfectly within their right to spend the $5K on the upgrade. But suggesting someone is a "sucker" for buying a performance upgrade and not spending that extra $5K is asinine and wrong.

Reactions: dhanson865
1 sec faster 0-60 FEELS MUCH faster than it sounds.

Regarding the $5k PUP, I echo what MP3Mike said about BBK upgrade cost. PUP also comes with lowered suspension and stickier Michelin Pilot Sport 4S high-performance summer tires (costs at least $1400 installed). The 20" wheels, spoiler, and pedals are just bonus.

Reactions: Msjulie