Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can you desensitize the adaptive cruise control collision avoidance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess this is phantom braking and or the plead for dumb cruise control… but Dear Lord, this is a nightmare to drive when approaching a semi-truck on a highway, the slightest deviation of the truck in its lane sometimes causes the car to react violently.. to the point where I’ve lost all faith in the automation to be completely frank, this is downright dangerous on a crowded highway with people following close. Short of just turning it off and driving completely manually what can be done? I’ve had the car since Dec 11th and just made the mistake of taking a 1400 mile road trip in the winter where the temperature got into single digits and the right tool for the job (my F150) was in my driveway at home…. The mid west got hammered with snow and cold.. this likely will be a three season vehicle from now on, and had I know all of this I likely wouldn’t have bought it…. I’m very disappointed.. I should have gotten a hint when I had to buy a garage door opener kit separately. It’s a great daily driver but wow, I thought the automation was much better…. I believe the extra $10k for fsd was a complete waste when it can’t manage passing a truck on the highway….

this likely will be a three season vehicle from now on, and had I know all of this I likely wouldn’t have bought it…. I’m very disappointed.. I should have gotten a hint when I had to buy a garage door opener kit separately. It’s a great daily driver but wow, I thought the automation was much better…. I believe the extra $10k for fsd was a complete waste when it can’t manage passing a truck on the highway….
💯 - After experiencing how poorly the current vision only stack "works" for TACC, I literally cannot imagine paying Tesla anything for FSD. I literally thought it was a joke when they recently raised the price on it. They should be paying people to test it, not charging for it.

Upvote 0
The FSD stack behaves much better. I have a radar car that did just fine with trucks; then got the FSD beta and it was a big step back. However, since 10.8, it's back up to where it was previously using radar. There's a ton of attention on Tesla and they are very cautious (too cautious I think) with regards to AP behavior. Better to go slow than get in an accident, however.

Upvote 0
I’m surprised Tesla doesn’t utilize biometric sensors in the steering wheel to detect the drivers heartbeat and avoid the nuisance “apply a slight turning force” warnings when you simply are not fighting the car and are attempting to relax.. even treadmills have these basic features…. As a secondary benefit, Tesla could track the drivers reaction to TACC phantom braking scaring the crap out of us simply from our heart rate…. (It’s virtually impossible to actually relax while driving) With all the tech in this car, the annoyance of much of it along with outright poor performance is truly disappointing…. I’ll surmise they’ll claim heart rate won’t determine if the driver is asleep…. Akin to them saying “we surveyed our drivers and found that the majority don’t park in a garage..” aka, we want you to pay more for a basic feature…. Seriously contemplating unloading this even at a loss after two months….

Upvote 0
Now on month three, I think part of this issue is that the software has never updated from the factory default when purchased…. So I guess I’ll have to take a three month old car in for “service”. Really regret that I thought this purchase was a reward for both my kids graduating college with stem degrees, and have to hear the koolaide drinkers say how wonderful TACC is.. and threw away ten grand for something that is a pipe dream.. Some software genius…. They can’t solve aerodynamics that allow the windshield washer fluid occlude the view to the drivers mirror…. That btw doesn’t have BLISS..

Upvote 0
So I’m holding my breath… hoping that my issue(S) with TACC that all the Koolaide drinkers voted me down on are all related to the fact that my Model Y has never once updated the software since I brought it home.. with the recalls and AT&T’s 3G mods, that have caused things to get wonky I requested service…. Mobile service got pushed out twice, a month passed, then a service center 45 miles away was scheduled (another couple weeks)when there’s one 16 miles away in Princeton…. They’ve had the car for 5 days now…. So Five months into ownership and while there are many things that I love about the car, the overall ownership experience is challenging.. ironically, the service tech stated, the assumption was that my home WiFi (Verizon FiOS) was unstable, even though they removed into the car on multiple attempts…. Just love the blame the owner customer service model…. I’m driving an F150 130 miles a day at 15 mpg, but wow, the cruise controls work and there’s no phantom braking.. it’s great that after five days they’ve now given me an estimated repair date days out…. I’ve become convinced that this is all driven by a chip shortage workaround that didn’t work out as expected, but it could be infancy component failure or quality control, as I said, it never has updated from day one…. We’ll see

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
Been renting a 2021 Model Y LR for over 1 week and have had this happen repeatedly, even on flat, mid-day, open 4-lane roads (I505) w/no cars coming, going suddenly from 70 to 55. Very dangerous - my 2019 Pilot never does this and while we were excited about replacing it with the Y, will not be ordering one until this is 100% fixed. The lives of my wife and children are worth it!

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
Upvote 0
Been renting a 2021 Model Y LR for over 1 week and have had this happen repeatedly, even on flat, mid-day, open 4-lane roads (I505) w/no cars coming, going suddenly from 70 to 55. Very dangerous - my 2019 Pilot never does this and while we were excited about replacing it with the Y, will not be ordering one until this is 100% fixed. The lives of my wife and children are worth it!
Maybe that rental didn't have the up to date update??
Going from 70-55 on 4 lane roads without cars around is not really life threatening.

I commute 70 miles everyday on one lane windy and hilly road (one lane per direction) with a lot of ups and downs with hidden/blinded corners. Semis and big box trucks all the time both directions. (50 mph speed limit) Also, the road has a lot of over hanging trees with shades throughout.

Zero phantom braking/slow downs with AP set to 55 mph with auto steer enabled.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0