Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come there is no "Open All" option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least once a day I need to open all four doors at once. I'd really love this option too. I've complained about it before. I'd like it both on the center display and the keyfob.

But is that a safe thing to actually do? If you open one door at a time you can watch each door open safely and pause it if required. It might work for you if you are super careful, but I’m sure there would be a lot more damaged doors reported if there was an open all button! The close all button is already a bit iffy for safety, but very useful when everyone has got out of the car and left.

This would be a very useful option. I told my wife the other day that I will write to Elon to fix this. We are a family of four and every time we are going away as a family all four doors should be opened. The car is parked at our own driveway, so no watching out of opening the doors; but also not a problem in most parking spaces. This option should definitely be on the next firmware update!

This would be a very useful option. I told my wife the other day that I will write to Elon to fix this. We are a family of four and every time we are going away as a family all four doors should be opened. The car is parked at our own driveway, so no watching out of opening the doors; but also not a problem in most parking spaces. This option should definitely be on the next firmware update!

The problem is when you accidentally hit the open all button when you are out and about. That's probably why it's not already an option after all this time. Good luck with your request!

But is that a safe thing to actually do? If you open one door at a time you can watch each door open safely and pause it if required. It might work for you if you are super careful, but I’m sure there would be a lot more damaged doors reported if there was an open all button! The close all button is already a bit iffy for safety, but very useful when everyone has got out of the car and left.

the close all doors feature is one of the main features that i love the most. its amazing feeling to exit the car with my kids and wife and just go and watch all the doors close all together at once. showstopper and practical!

I doubt it would get used very often. Most people only open 1 or a couple of doors at a time.
Obviously every person / family is different. Can't really say "most people" do that.

As a family of 5 with 3 kids including 1 infant, it's very often that I need to open all doors (not frunk) to load/unload people, grocery, stroller, etc. However, it's not that high of a priority compared to other features I'd like, like keeping the damn car unlocked inside my garage.

the close all doors feature is one of the main features that i love the most. its amazing feeling to exit the car with my kids and wife and just go and watch all the doors close all together at once. showstopper and practical!

I use the close all doors feature a lot, but it's considerably safer than opening all doors for a number of reasons:-

1. You can wait until everyone has walked safely away from the car before hitting close all. But when opening the car, people are usually hovering around waiting to get in. So I open each door individually to make sure nobody gets bashed in the process.
2. If the doors are already open then any cars or people passing close by are less likely to get in the way when closing them. Opening doors unexpectedly at the side of the road can be a disaster.

I know people will say that "open all" would be a useful feature, and it would be on occasion, but I just don't think the safety aspects are worth the risk and that's probably why it's never been an option. They are already pretty cautious about the close all function with single click "close all" disabled by default. There are often threads about people accidentally "butt" opening the odd door by accident so it wouldn't be long before people accidentally opened everything with bad things potentially happening.

I've basically always done an "Open All" with my car since I got it. Never had a problem with safety. I double click all the buttons needed to open all the doors. Its annoying to have to click the remote 8 times.

Give us the ability to do it as a menu selection on the car and then the people who don't feel responsible enough to use it can leave it turned off.

I'd suggest using the same approach as the driver door open except make it 3 clicks instead of two.

I've basically always done an "Open All" with my car since I got it. Never had a problem with safety. I double click all the buttons needed to open all the doors. Its annoying to have to click the remote 8 times.

Give us the ability to do it as a menu selection on the car and then the people who don't feel responsible enough to use it can leave it turned off.

I'd suggest using the same approach as the driver door open except make it 3 clicks instead of two.

Well that's basically safe because of the deliberate actions required to open everything i.e. 8 specific clicks on the remote. 3 clicks to close all and lock is all well and good, but I've accidentally popped open the driver's door several times by accidentally clicking only twice - which is annoying and potentially very dangerous too. To be honest I'm not that surprised there have been various "incidents" with Tesla powered doors and adding yet another quick click feature is not going to help, especially when it's only 1 click different to opening only 1 door!

Putting it on a menu selection doesn't prevent fools from accessing a feature either! As a manufacturer you have to consider all cases, not just the super intelligent/careful types. For example, that's why AP has to nag you and make loads of bing-bong noises. Not because we all need that annoyance, but some people obviously do!

Hahaha. I know. Sounds funny huh.
And then every Sunday I come home with my family of five and all our stuff and I have to hit 6 buttons. I even make a little song and sing it as I push them in order.
My 2018 seems to have reduced range receiving fob command. I used to be able to open the doors much further away in the 2016. So if I want to open all doors I have to hit about 10 times if not more because the sucker isn’t responding.

Hahaha. I know. Sounds funny huh.
And then every Sunday I come home with my family of five and all our stuff and I have to hit 6 buttons. I even make a little song and sing it as I push them in order.

The whole point is that you can't accidentally open all the doors with just one button. The problem is not when you want to open all the doors, it's when you don't!

Anyway, if Tesla add open-all as an option then fine. I just don't think they will. But if they do it will be just a matter of time before a thread pops up about the time someone opened everything accidentally at the wrong moment and smashed up their door, trunk, passing cyclist or a truck wiped off the side of their car. These are the things they are likely concerned about otherwise that button would have been there from the start.

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I don’t have my X yet and I’m curious. Is it possible to open and close the doors manually like in an ICE vehicle? I can imagine a time where we get to a restaurant and the wife/kids want to get out as quickly as possible. Can they open and close the doors like traditional doors?

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I don’t have my X yet and I’m curious. Is it possible to open and close the doors manually like in an ICE vehicle? I can imagine a time where we get to a restaurant and the wife/kids want to get out as quickly as possible. Can they open and close the doors like traditional doors?

Yes ;)