Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is the Model X by you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 in the Bay Area will soon be like BMW 3 series in Germany. Our problem in the Bay Area is supercharger density is not keeping up with Tesla car density.
Model 3 doesn't get free supercharging, but I guess it's not that expensive anyway? There is no deterrent for the 3s clogging the superchargers? Not to say they need to be deterred, but the 3s coming out right now are all LR and shouldn't necessarily need it. Guess it's a bad time to be in California...we'll see how it all pans out for you guys. At some point there's space constraints so I doubt tesla can keep adding more chargers

Model 3 doesn't get free supercharging, but I guess it's not that expensive anyway? There is no deterrent for the 3s clogging the superchargers? Not to say they need to be deterred, but the 3s coming out right now are all LR and shouldn't necessarily need it. Guess it's a bad time to be in California...we'll see how it all pans out for you guys. At some point there's space constraints so I doubt tesla can keep adding more chargers

The Superchargers by us were busy before the Model 3 shipped. They have had a valet at the Dublin, CA SC for quite a while. The supercharging map shows a new set going in a few blocks away this year, but I don't see any activity (permits or building).

I believe part of the issue is that the Dublin SC is right at the East end of the BART line that goes to SF. I guess (and it is only a guess) that some portion of the people valeting in Dublin drop their cars, walk a couple of block and then hop on BART to get into the city. The also have a valet in Mountain View at the Computer Museum which happens to be right by Microsoft, Google, AMD, etc. So I suspect a lot of people drop off their cars, walk to the office and then pickup when charged.

The Superchargers by us were busy before the Model 3 shipped. They have had a valet at the Dublin, CA SC for quite a while. The supercharging map shows a new set going in a few blocks away this year, but I don't see any activity (permits or building).

I believe part of the issue is that the Dublin SC is right at the East end of the BART line that goes to SF. I guess (and it is only a guess) that some portion of the people valeting in Dublin drop their cars, walk a couple of block and then hop on BART to get into the city. The also have a valet in Mountain View at the Computer Museum which happens to be right by Microsoft, Google, AMD, etc. So I suspect a lot of people drop off their cars, walk to the office and then pickup when charged.

Sounds rough to be in cali where there are so many teslas. The one SC in austin was almost empty when I drove by it the other day. Maybe 2 stalls filled up.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Sounds rough to be in cali where there are so many teslas. The one SC in austin was almost empty when I drove by it the other day. Maybe 2 stalls filled up.

yea its a blessing and a curse to be in cali. on one hand the stalls are always crowded but on the other hand, the ev community here is amazing and more and more businesses and shopping malls etc...are supporting ev cars by installing more and more stalls and priority parking.

Reactions: HandleX

Hopefully Tesla will do well and there will be more areas that have issues with too many Teslas.:rolleyes:

Also, I suspect in the next year or so free supercharging for life on a new S and X will disappear and not come back. S and X owners will get an allotment of hours (again), and perhaps an unlimited monthly paid option like a cell phone plan. Superchargers have ongoing operational costs and these increase with every new installation. There needs to be a constant revenue stream to support the Superchargers.

Also, I suspect in the next year or so free supercharging for life on a new S and X will disappear and not come back. S and X owners will get an allotment of hours (again), and perhaps an unlimited monthly paid option like a cell phone plan. Superchargers have ongoing operational costs and these increase with every new installation. There needs to be a constant revenue stream to support the Superchargers.

I doubt that will happen soon. Mainly because the US tax credit incentive is absolutely fading away. I doubt the *free* (included) supercharging will be leaving any time soon on top of the fading tax credit. I am sure a significant portion of the purchase price is sent directly to the supercharging folks, whether we use it or not. Supercharger revenue stream is not something I am particularly concerned about. I often correct folks "Charging is free right?" "No, it is not free, it is included" Heheh...

Reactions: FlatSix911
Here in Lower Alabama (or as we call it- LA), I had only seen one ever before I took delivery ( a guy I knew bought one when they first came out, smashed a tree on autopilot soon thereafter). Then on the very day I received mine, I passed one on a back road while I was driving mine around to show people... Havent seen one since...