Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How concerned are you about the warranty (or lack thereof)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting year 3 without a warranty now on the X. No major issues so far aside from the well known heater element needing to be replaced.

Scary bit is the battery/drivetrain warranty will expire pretty much when we hit 100k miles. A random third party warranty company actually called me last week, they were really pushing their product telling me they even cover the HV battery.......but when I pushed them on a claim limit on the HV battery, it was 'only' £8k......Good luck getting a new battery on any Tesla for £8k!!!

Doesn't feel me confidence any warranty companies will actually pay out on a HV battery replacement once the Tesla battery/motor warranty is gone.

53209728327_b28ace7570_c_d.jpg

Cross your fingers and toes @gangzoom 😅 My post above about air suspension was rubbing the genie the wrong way…

This year I’ve spent
  • £2,800 on a replacement on-board charger
  • £3,700 odd on a replacement compressor, valve block, air spring units and aft link assemblies
  • £1,600 on a new windscreen
  • £115 on a front trunk release mech.
  • £220 on front chrome trim and badge.

Last year I replaced the 12v battery (mobile service) that was £210. Upgraded the infotainment MCU (which needed a new radio module for compatibility) that was £1,870 odd.

In 2021 replaced both front upper control arm assemblies for around £1,110. Both driver and passenger front door e-actuators have been replaced (a reasonable £50 a go). The falcon door latch covers (on the inside edge/skin of the door) have been replaced three times due to cracking (between £50 and £120 a go).

The car was upgraded to CCS2 charge port capability (required new charge port ECU to be retrofitted and plug adaptor) in early 2020 for £425

The PTC heater failed in January 2020 and was replaced under warranty. The central screen was treated for a yellowing border. The cam mechanism on the third row seats was replaced, also under warranty.

Cross your fingers and toes @gangzoom 😅 My post above about air suspension was rubbing the genie the wrong way…

This year I’ve spent
  • £2,800 on a replacement on-board charger
  • £3,700 odd on a replacement compressor, valve block, air spring units and aft link assemblies
  • £1,600 on a new windscreen
  • £115 on a front trunk release mech.
  • £220 on front chrome trim and badge.

Last year I replaced the 12v battery (mobile service) that was £210. Upgraded the infotainment MCU (which needed a new radio module for compatibility) that was £1,870 odd.

In 2021 replaced both front upper control arm assemblies for around £1,110. Both driver and passenger front door e-actuators have been replaced (a reasonable £50 a go). The falcon door latch covers (on the inside edge/skin of the door) have been replaced three times due to cracking (between £50 and £120 a go).

The car was upgraded to CCS2 charge port capability (required new charge port ECU to be retrofitted and plug adaptor) in early 2020 for £425

The PTC heater failed in January 2020 and was replaced under warranty. The central screen was treated for a yellowing border. The cam mechanism on the third row seats was replaced, also under warranty.
I’m assuming that’s a Model X?
My brother in law has one and it’s been nothing but trouble for 2 years now.
I think it’s been taken to Tesla about 7 times, one of which lasted a couple of months.
They had the gall to tell him he was “unlucky with this one”.

I’m sure there are many out there working just fine but from what I’ve seen I’m not sure I would ever have one.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I’m assuming that’s a Model X?
My brother in law has one and it’s been nothing but trouble for 2 years now.
I think it’s been taken to Tesla about 7 times, one of which lasted a couple of months.
They had the gall to tell him he was “unlucky with this one”.

I’m sure there are many out there working just fine but from what I’ve seen I’m not sure I would ever have one.
well... my car has been to tesla for 10+ times over 18 months. however almost all issues (except couple) were interior trim related :D

Starting year 3 without a warranty now on the X. No major issues so far aside from the well known heater element needing to be replaced.

I thought you once said that it was the most unreliable car that you have ever owned?

Oh, here it is...

Software is Tesla's real USP, our X is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, in the last 6 months alone its needed 4 warranty visits, in the last 3.5 years its had a dozen+ issues appear thats needed sorting.

Reactions: gangzoom
I thought you once said that it was the most unreliable car that you have ever owned?

Oh, here it is...

It was, but since the bumper to bumper warranty ended its been OK.

90% of the issues I had with the car were present at handover!! It took Tesla roughly 18 months to replace the drivers seat that they agreed needed changing just after 12 months of ownership.

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
A few years ago I found Tesla very refreshing, new and different. They didn't seem concerned about servicing generating profit, the aim should be no need for any service. Often they'd ask during service if there is anything else they could help with. There was plenty of slack in the system.

However, I've seen this slowly changing. Sales people have now appeared. Service is much more automated, it feels less personal and is more focussed on the minimum needed to get the car fixed. Courtesy cars are now an edge case, not a forethought.

I am having some more warranty repair work done soon, for an issue I know was logged by the car during my previous visit (for a different issue). I checked by using service mode. So they could have fixed both at the same time, albeit I didn't report the second. In warranty, this will cost Tesla more money as it's two visits. Out of warranty, this generates more money as it's two visits and two diagnostic charges.

This in itself isn't all bad, but apart from the automation it starts to feel just like how others operate.

Given this direction of travel, it feels to me like Tesla want to start making money on their service offering. They can't keep expecting an exponential growth in sales to support the costs of running the servicing side of the business.

I therefore believe the cost of out of warranty work will increase, like the introduction of significant "diagnostic" charges. This all feels very familiar .

We may even see the need for regular servicing to maintain warranty. The guidance for brake servicing has changed, for example.

This direction of travel makes me more concerned about issues outside of warranty today than it did a few years ago.

A few years ago I found Tesla very refreshing, new and different. They didn't seem concerned about servicing generating profit, the aim should be no need for any service. Often they'd ask during service if there is anything else they could help with. There was plenty of slack in the system.

However, I've seen this slowly changing. Sales people have now appeared. Service is much more automated, it feels less personal and is more focussed on the minimum needed to get the car fixed. Courtesy cars are now an edge case, not a forethought.

I am having some more warranty repair work done soon, for an issue I know was logged by the car during my previous visit (for a different issue). I checked by using service mode. So they could have fixed both at the same time, albeit I didn't report the second. In warranty, this will cost Tesla more money as it's two visits. Out of warranty, this generates more money as it's two visits and two diagnostic charges.

This in itself isn't all bad, but apart from the automation it starts to feel just like how others operate.

Given this direction of travel, it feels to me like Tesla want to start making money on their service offering. They can't keep expecting an exponential growth in sales to support the costs of running the servicing side of the business.

I therefore believe the cost of out of warranty work will increase, like the introduction of significant "diagnostic" charges. This all feels very familiar .

We may even see the need for regular servicing to maintain warranty. The guidance for brake servicing has changed, for example.

This direction of travel makes me more concerned about issues outside of warranty today than it did a few years ago.
What is the new brake guidance ?

Presumably this;

• Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter
From here.

Yes, we presume that it is sticking pads not making an even contact with the disc that allows the patchy corrosion to become established so regular cleaning up and lubrication gives them the best chance of avoiding that.