Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOW DO I GET 3D PRINTING?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone: I need to know how to actually get this done for inserts for the cup holders. I have seen some threads and tried to contact people privately but no luck. I want a 3D cup holder insert so that the cup holders can hold skinnier drinks. Please give me all the help you can, such as how I buy one from someone here, or how I obtain files that I (take?) bring to a 3D printing place? Thanks. -David

Hello Everyone: I need to know how to actually get this done for inserts for the cup holders.
I have seen some threads and tried to contact people privately but no luck.

I want a 3D cup holder insert so that the cup holders can hold skinnier drinks.
Please give me all the help you can, such as how I buy one from someone here,
or how I obtain files that I (take?) bring to a 3D printing place? Thanks. -David

There are quite few car mug adapters on Amazon, e-Bay,... You might find something fitting your need.
(The one below is titled: JoyTutus Car Cup Holder Adapter)

61a%2Bl8ACM7L._SL1000_.jpg

About the 3D Printed items, I watch several video on YouTube and the authors in general provide reference for the file they used and want to share.

The 3D item I was looking for was a Tesla UMC plug, the following web links may provide some leads for your search:

- Tesla Charging Plug Receptacle ( https:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=8W-So5ckOIw )
- Rounded Tesla Model S & X Wall Charger Plug Holder
- Eclectic3DThings

- Tom’s Garage 3D Printed Tesla Charger Holder ( https:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=BJINtgFT0tM )
- Tesla Wall Connector Cable Organizer
- Tesla UMC wall mount

Last edited:
That one looks excellent. Hadn’t run across it. Has anyone tried it out?
Well, I don't want to put too many links, but about the cup holder, you can find some additional information on Amazon:

JoyTutus Car Cup Holder Adapter for Nalgene CamelBak Contigo Yeti Hydro Flask Cup Holder Expander by JoyTutus

27 customer reviews | 16 answered questions

3.6 out of 5 stars

5 star - 41%
4 star - 19%
3 star - 11%
2 star - 18%
1 star - 11%

Well, here's an update - Received this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZL1BGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...And I'm sure it would work great in some cars, but not the M3! If you were to have a 711 or Starbucks coffee in that thing, forget it, spills galore! I got the Contigo seal-proof travel cup, and it is amazing. But the point of this thread is what can one do to make the cup-holders in the M3 near perfect. It's such a joke. My Audi I just had had amazing cup holder, with plastic/rubber things that pushed in hard against any size cup. So simple. I think my next try is those 3D inserts on this forum. But then again, coffee is always a problem regardless. What is SO ANNOYING, is I like to drink Diet Mt. Dew in those skinny bottles. And the minute I start driving my M3, the bottle is on the floor - cap on it or not, who cares, it should fly right out of the cupholder.

Tesla Model 3 Cup Holder Insert by Bumbumbum - Thingiverse
Tesla Model 3 Cup Holder Insert by Bumbumbum

OK, SO WITH THE ABOVE, HOW DO I BUY THIS OR GET ONE MADE? I'M A TOTAL NEWBIE TO THE 3D PRINTING WORLD?
Google “3d printing service”. I did that and the first hit was “3d hubs.” Looks like you would have to download the files from thingiverse, then upload the .stl file to 3d hubs to get a free quote.
I recently got a 3d printer, so I can help you through this if you need it. Might even consider printing it for you.

Tesla Model 3 Cup Holder Insert by Bumbumbum - Thingiverse
Tesla Model 3 Cup Holder Insert by Bumbumbum

OK, SO WITH THE ABOVE, HOW DO I BUY THIS OR GET ONE MADE? I'M A TOTAL NEWBIE TO THE 3D PRINTING WORLD?

In my area many public libraries have 3D printers available for public use. You need to download the STL file(s) from thingiverse, then use a program like Cura to open the STL file. Make adjustments to fill density, print speed, nozzle and bed temperature, skirt/raft, support structure, scale settings (the library can help with the best setting for their machine and filament). Save/export GCODE file onto memory card/stick and bring it to the library.

Biggest problem is the hassle factor because oftentimes you need to print multiple copies with slight adjustments to get things just right. This means multiple trips to the printer. Also, not sure how much choice you will have in picking colors.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic