Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get from Toronto to Gaylord, MI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I'm being repetitive as I posted a similar question last year, but since there is no Bay City SC yet, does anyone have good advice on how to make this trip.

I will be good for charging in Gaylord as my daughter lives there and they have a 30 Amp outlet that I can use (although I will need to get an adapter as it's one of the old dryer plugs.)

I can come through Port Huron to Flint, or if that is not practical, then I can come up through Detroit.

I have been all the way down to San diego, back up the coast to Victoria, and then back to Toronto; but getting to Gaylord seems a bigger challenge.

It is an 80 amp HPWC , but is about 20 km off your route.

Crestview Estates | Fenton, MI | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

The HPWC that is being shared near Saginaw is better, if it's 80 amps.

Just out of curiosity, what is the etiquette of borrowing a charger. If you get 30-40 kWh of electricity that is $5 or $6. Seems like you should pay for that yourself.
I have a shared charger in rural NH and I did have a Tesla owner contact me once to see if they could use me as a backup. I said yes. But a full charge on a 90D is close to $15 at our .15 per kWh rate.
They didn't use mine so I don't know if they would have offered. I would have asked them to make a donation to a carbon neutral website or something if they had wanted to.
I am sure some chargers are on more traveled routes and they could incur some substantial cost.

I would have asked them to make a donation to a carbon neutral website or something if they had wanted to.

I'm no expert, but your idea seems very reasonable.

I've recharged between 8 kWh and 50 kWh a total of 6-8 times at private residences and once almost 80 kWh overnight at a Nissan dealership.

In all cases, my offer to pay was graciously refused, but then as a small token of appreciation I offered a can of maple syrup which was accepted. Except in one case I was empty handed, so I offered a test drive.

Grayling seems like a difficult location to place a Supercharger so it is convenient for both northbound and southbound drivers. The ramps are on opposite sides of town so you're going to have to drive through a couple miles of local streets in order to either reach the charger or return to the freeway. There also doesn't appear to be a Meijer there so it will require a departure from the typical placement.

image.jpeg

Go to: tesla.plugshare.com

The charger is in the State Park just north of the city ... Address is 3582 State Park Dr, Bay City

Last edited:
Looks like I have two options at this point:
  1. There is a SC in Comber ON, just east of Windsor. From there it is 265 miles to Gaylord. Doable, but close, especially if there is a north wind. To do this one, I should stop off in Bay City for an hour to top up.
  2. I can charge in Woodstock, ON and then go through Port Huron to Bay City. But then I'll have to stay there for quite a while as the battery will most likely be at about 15%. It's a shorter route, but slower with the charging.
Do I have this right?