Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you answer, how much did you pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I answer honestly. Then I point out the incentives and how much in gas I save. Then I see the gears in their heads start turning followed by a "hmmmm". Half the time, I get asked to confirm that a $35,000 version is coming. I remind them about how much in gas I save and point to the Costco gas station line.

Reactions: Raindog1
I definitely say different things depending on who I'm talking to and what level of interest that they have.

If it is someone for whom $60K would be a huge number, then I usually say that the start at $35k and have a $7500 fed tax credit. I'll also mention that it's the cheapest of all of the Teslas.

If it is someone who has a new Mercedes or BMW, then I'll give more toward the real cost. Something like Long Range starts at ...

If it is someone who is sincerely interested and looking at one themselves, then just give the details, as they are probably going to see it in a few minutes when they go to the web site.

Reactions: APotatoGod
It is funny, I remember the same thread in the early days of the Model S. And I used to get asked often. I always just told them, but also included the base price of the car. I found most people asked because the car just blew them away... They asked because they want one. The response to my answer ($94k before incentives, $84k after, ~65k starting price) was usually "wow, beautiful car". Those who could afford probably have one by now. Those who couldn't probably started saving. Never, ever has anyone given me a hard time. So, no need to be defensive about it.

I fall in line with those who have made the leap into a Model 3 from a lesser expensive car. And I'm quickly finding out that people have no hesitation about asking questions that I was always taught would be rude to ask. So, for those of us who have made the move to a more expensive car, surrounded by co-workers whom don't drive $80K cars, how do you answer when prompted with the question; How much?

Here are some responses to "How much did you pay?" I've seen online:

1. It starts at 35K usd and can be optioned up from there.
2. It came in well under a Million dollars!
3. Why do you want to know? Do you want to chip in on the payments?

It's not rude to ask ... just give them the straight answer and move on :rolleyes:

#3 is rude

Reactions: MXWing and Raindog1
“$47k after tax insentives, I didn’t want to miss out on those, the $35k version comes out next year and the insentives will start to go away. But I save about $1200 in gas a year and no real maintenance is required. So I figure after about 6-7 years it’s the same as buying a $20k gas car today”

Nah. TMI! Sounds like you're running for office. Blah blah blah

Easier to just say what you paid.

I am resistant to telling people how much I paid for anything. People are so judgmental. If you say it cost more than they think it is worth, they will think you are stupid for paying so much. If you say it cost less than they think it is worth they will often get jealous.

It is a no win situation.

I simply ask them how much they think I paid first. Makes them stop for a moment and puts them on the spot as they then will be vunerable to guessing wrong.

If they push it I ask them if the want the price before or after incentives. Before or after government fees.

Then ask me if I want to figure in savings on fuel and maintenance.

It really is more complicated a question that they ask, as there are so many correct answers.

To let them off the hook, I always wait for their answer and let them know if they "are really close"

Probably just me though. I feel the same way if someone would ask me how much I paid in taxes last year. Kinda none of their business.

Honestly. I give them the out-the-door price, including my after-purchase EAP add-on, Just over $62K. Then I tell them I should be getting back $10.5K ($7500 Fed, $2500 State, $500 PG&E). I let them do the math.

I'm assuming that they know it's an EV and that I won't have to ever pay for gas; just electricity. As i haven't charged at home yet (HPWC still in the box), I really haven't done the math myself to figure out how much it's going to cost me to put electrons in the tank.

Last edited:
I've given two types of answers. My fiancé and a very close friend that I trust, I told them the actual number. Everybody else gets some version of "About what I expected", or "About the same that the Mercedes I wanted would have cost". So far anybody that has asked has also known there will be a $35k base model in the future, so that's always the next question, "When do you think they'll offer the cheap one".