Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you do a hard reboot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I am having issues which I have posted about in another thread. I have tried the scroll wheel reboot and that isn't helping so I think I need to do a hard reboot. I have found this from an old posting:

Hold down the two buttons above the rollers for about a full minute. When the Tesla logo appears, continue to hold for about 30 sec. Then, hold down the rollers for about a minute. Then release. Check that the screen is 'live' by touching any function. That should do it.

Is that correct? That seems like a long time to hold down the buttons.

I am not sure what you mean by "hard reboot". You cannot completely power down the car, only Tesla Service can do that as far as I know.

The most you can do is reboot both the center display and the drivers display by simultaneously holding down both scroll wheels until both of the screen go black, then release, if I recall correctly.

I am not sure what you mean by "hard reboot". You cannot completely power down the car, only Tesla Service can do that as far as I know.

The most you can do is reboot both the center display and the drivers display by simultaneously holding down both scroll wheels until both of the screen go black, then release, if I recall correctly.
Well it's more complicated than that. The owner's manual describes two forms of reboots they recommend any time (including while driving) the car suffers from a software glitch:

Press and hold the wheels for a short amount of time to reboot the 17" screen.
Press and hold the upper buttons on both sides for a short amount of time to reboot the instrument clusters.

I have seen rumors, particularly from SvC instructions to early MX adopters, that there is a deeper reboot that involves holding the scrollwheels for a very long time (1 minute or so), but that was never recommended while driving the car.

It is very much possible that the former two reboots only reboot the displays (e.g. the superficial parts of the electronics that present info to you) and not the more core functionality, while the latter reboot reboots something deeper down that may not be as safe to perform willy-nilly.

I tried holding down the brake pedal and the upper buttons. Then I tried the scroll wheels and I held them until the Tesla logo came up, normally I just hold them into the screen goes black.

I called the Tesla support line and they are going to have my local SvC call me.

To add to the mix, one of the TM service managers told me that you step on the brake pedal and hold, then press and hold the scroll wheels until you see the T on the touchscreen, then release for a 'mid level' reboot. If you immediately press down on the scroll wheels a second time (still on the brake) and wait for the T again, supposedly a 'deeper' reboot. YMMV.