Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you find out what chip has been used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read in BBC that Telsa has fitted the new cars in China with 2.5 chip due to supply issues caused by Covoid-19
I got delivery of my mine last week. Production date of 18th of Jan 2020. How do I find what chip has been used? 3 or 2?
I just find that things like games a bit laggy and even netflix has a bit of lag, maybe it is just the data connection but that should not be the case for games.

Your car was built in California, it has HW3

Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information

B3F84918-6495-41EC-B0A5-E51BD4CA1C7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes. I see the cones. Not sure why the games are so laggy though. I would have thought that it would have been smoother

That comes down to it being a car not a games console! The fact that it can do basic games is impressive enough but it's very much an extra that the hardware was not specially designed to do. It's like smart TVs ... they are great at being TVs but generally poor at being web interfaces. Horses for courses. An X box would presumably be crap at running an EV!

That comes down to it being a car not a games console! The fact that it can do basic games is impressive enough but it's very much an extra that the hardware was not specially designed to do. It's like smart TVs ... they are great at being TVs but generally poor at being web interfaces. Horses for courses. An X box would presumably be crap at running an EV!
The car has a massively powerful GPU that is superior to currently-available consoles. I imagine that the car uses inefficient emulation, i.e. they have bodged it to run games software that was designed to run on a different platform.

They could make it better, but it’s probably low priority so won’t happen for a long time.

I imagine that the car uses inefficient emulation, i.e. they have bodged it to run games software that was designed to run on a different platform.

So really you pretty much agree with me after all! I probably wouldn't say bodged but clearly not optimised... but that's to be expected... they hopefully spend their time optimising it for running an EV rather than games capabilities.

The car has a massively powerful GPU that is superior to currently-available consoles. I imagine that the car uses inefficient emulation, i.e. they have bodged it to run games software that was designed to run on a different platform.

They could make it better, but it’s probably low priority so won’t happen for a long time.

The GPU is in the autopilot computer not on the MCU which I believe is where the all screen apps run - on a fairly low spec generic CPU - iirc an Intel Atom - so no massively powerful GPU but games probably still not optimal vs native even on what they do run on.

Reactions: Roy W.