Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you reset the downgrading of charge power due to elec probs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Just replaced our over 5 yr old MS. When we purchased it new, we ran a 6 gauge (about 100 ft) from our panel to the garage and connected to 50 amp. (placed sub panel in garage) We used this with an HPWC and all was well for a few months - but one day it downgraded to 30 amps (instead of 40) and stayed that way for the rest of ownership (at our location).

I bought a M3 (for me) last Dec. It's able to charge at 40 amp - no problem - when not charging the MS.

Got a new MS last month and it charged fine at 40 amp - but yesterday downgraded itself to 30 amp.
We are planning to run a larger gauge wire to the garage and possibly feed it with 100 amps. We now have 2 HPWC's - second to be installed soon. They will work in a master/slave configuration.

My question is - once the elec is fixed, how do I force the MS to go for the full 40 amp?

Sorry for the late reply, wife was out of town with her MS.

So, yes, upon her return, I did change the charge current up to 40A and it charged overnight just fine.
But have contacted electrician to see if there are fluctuations on the in-house line or maybe Elec Co's fault.

Thnx for the help.

Reactions: brkaus