Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you salary package a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Candleflame - you organise the company you work for (even if it's your own company) to get approved for car loan and make the initial deposit to submit order process....once the car arrives the loan starts no different than any other purchase via a dealership....

Can't see it being anything too dissimilar to the above....

If salary packaging your company would normally deal with a fleet company like SGFleet, Custom Fleet, Autopia, LeasePlan etc.

If using a fleet company these companies will organise the lease for you and then provide the package for your company.

If not it may be a bit more complex - perhaps look at using the Tesla Lease option.

Tax
As for claiming on tax - this is still a question for me as Australian Tax Law is quite outdated when it comes to electric cars. Good news is if only doing 5000kms or less, you can claim 66c per km travelled for 2017 and previous years, and from July 2018 you can claim 68c per km travelled.

What may not be good news is if you use the logbook method as I do I'm still not sure what I can claim as usually there is depreciation, oil, fuel, maintenance etc. Not alot of that with a Tesla.

Shane.

Tax
As for claiming on tax - this is still a question for me as Australian Tax Law is quite outdated when it comes to electric cars. Good news is if only doing 5000kms or less, you can claim 66c per km travelled for 2017 and previous years, and from July 2018 you can claim 68c per km travelled.

What may not be good news is if you use the logbook method as I do I'm still not sure what I can claim as usually there is depreciation, oil, fuel, maintenance etc. Not alot of that with a Tesla.

Shane.

Keep a log book for 12 weeks and claim your business use percentage of your costs, including depreciation etc. The only challenge is that you are limited to the LCT amount. I also claim electricity use based on the percentage of the total km during the year and based on my electricity price - i.e. we know the typical use for a MS is 200Wh/km, and since you must record the odometer at the start and end of the year you know how much you have spent.

Keep a log book for 12 weeks and claim your business use percentage of your costs, including depreciation etc. The only challenge is that you are limited to the LCT amount. I also claim electricity use based on the percentage of the total km during the year and based on my electricity price - i.e. we know the typical use for a MS is 200Wh/km, and since you must record the odometer at the start and end of the year you know how much you have spent.
Actually you're limited to the non-EV LCT threshold when it comes to depreciation.
The LCT threshold for EVs is higher than for normal cars, but that's only when calculating LCT at purchase time.
For depreciation the lower number has to be used (about $57,000).

I use the AGL $1/day EV plan, which makes claiming easier ($365 per year).

@EcoCloudIT yeah it's definitely cheaper for my usage profile.
We use about 12kWh/day in summer and 16kWh/day in winter, so pretty low household usage. Flat 29c/kWh, further discounted 23%.
The car does about 30,000km/yr at 200Wh/km, so about the same power as the house, 16kWh/day.

@ShockOnT from the research I've done today there are no discounts on the supply charge with AGL, the $0.84/day is actually good compared to Victoria where it is $1.199/ day inc GST or $36.38/month inc GST....none of the discounts one gets on a plan are applied on this supply charge with AGL.

AGL have a Savers Plan which when combined with direct debit amounts to 32% discount.

Standard rates (I am not sure of the rates you get when you have a $1 a day EV plan though, from what I have been told it is much higher than the Savers Plan) is $0.3039/kWh inc GST, therefore average rate per kWh is $0.2067/kWh inc GST.

PowerShop charge around $24.46/kWh inc GST with the 19% off power pack (some are higher, some lower) however their supply charge is lower and discounts do reduce this daily supply charge, on the normal Power Saver plan (19% discount) the supply charge drops to $0.848/day inc GST of $26.73 per month inc GST.

Conclusion
Whilst AGL's supply charge is approximately $10 per month more expensive AGL's rates when combined with a Saver Plan and direct debit are very good....however I am not sure if the rates are this competitive if one is using the $1 EV plan....this is in he end the key.....EV kilowatts per day compared to kilowatts per day on the house.

@ShockOnT what are you kWh rates?

Personal Issue
I am not sure if I can support AGL given they have been a big polluter for such a long time and have done their best to stop renewables with all the power they could muster in parliament etc., however, they have "tried" to turn over a new leaf (but planting trees to off set EV emissions is a pipe dream (not eating animal protein does way more for the environment)....hmmm....just don't know.

Last edited:
@EcoCloudIT So my flat rate is $0.29/kWhr and the supply charge is $0.84/day.
It seems the cheapest I could get, especially since Energy Australia was charging me an absolute fortune before I switched.
As for AGL's eco credentials, I don't really know. I would guess that all the big providers are equally evil though...