TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How do you split the gas cost?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by listy, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. listy

listy Member

Driving a long distance drive with an ICE vehicle normally you tally up the gas receipts or alternate filling the tank.

What are people doing if you fill up with just the super charger?

Thanks

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you're talking about the minority of cars that don't have free supercharging...
    The charge incurred will show-up on your My Tesla page shortly after you leave the "station". Once you've completed your trip, you tally-up the total cost, and everyone pitches-in via PayPal.

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

• Funny x 5
  4. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

My friends and I always seem to have operated on a sort of barter system.

Instead of splitting the cost of something, we'd just substitute paying for something else for the group. It usually worked out close enough.

There's also the old addage about nobody riding for free; since our cars don't use gas and grass isn't legal everywhere, that only leaves one option... ;)

• Funny x 5
  5. renshcp

renshcp Member

My policy is when I'm riding in sombody else's car over a long distance, I pay for all of the gas. I do that because I think in terms of total operating cost and the car owner is already shouldering all the depreciation, etc.

That said, MOST people only think in terms of "gas" for operating expense of a car, so people generally don't offer me any compensation when we take my Tesla but occasionally I'll get a coffee out of it.

• Like x 2
  6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I did a road trip last year down to NC and back, with two other guys going to the same event. One was a kid (20's) who had zero extra cash.. the other a regular professional. Instead of splitting gas, he just bought me dinners on the way down and back. Worked out well.

• Like x 1
  7. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Or compute your kWh cost per mile from your electric bill. Your ICE friends should be happy since you'll probably be getting 80 to 100 MPGe vs. 15 to 50 MPG for ICE. Easy to understand & compute.