Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you tell what AP functionality a AP2 car has?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are interested in buying a 2017 MS with AP2 hardware. The spec screen print the dealer has provided simply states "autopilot hardware" and nothing else ie no reference to EAP etc which I thought all AP2 cars came with. How can you check a particular AP2 car has the AP software enabled ie that it has EAP? DOes the touchscreen show this anywhere? thanks

Not Necessarily, it could have no auto pilot and just the hardware that can be activated for a fee, EAP (which is virtually the same as FSD at this point) or if it’s been resold through Tesla as a used car Tesla could have dropped it down to regular base AP. Regular AP is not much different in real world usefulness anyway. Tesla has quite a of the original AP2 cars listed for sale as just AP now and many AP2 cars listed as FSD.

My concern is whether there would be no AP at all because would that mean that you wouldn't get the variable cruise control and automatic emergency braking etc?
I believe without AP all cars still have adaptive cruise and emergency braking as standard. The AP adds the auto steering and the EAP/FSD adds summoning, NOA, Navigation on AP (not really beneficial unless you oblivious to what’s going on) auto lane change (not as good as a unskilled driver anyway)

Thanks @WesB does that mean though that you would have no adaptive cruise and emergency braking then or are these separate to AP features? Do you know how much it costs to unlock EAP?

Not entirely sure about the adaptive cruise but all safety features are standard. Buying EAP will probably no longer be an option since it's not offered on new cars anymore. But FSD should cost $7000 US, or $4000 US if upgrading from EAP to FSD

Reactions: r0xx0r