Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you unlock the car without open your phone when walk up to your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With current iPhones it works perfectly for us 99.9% of the time. For over 9 months. Depends on your phone perhaps. Obviously app needs to be set to the right car if more than one and running in the background.

If you don’t have an iPhone, there could be other factors but there have been dozens of threads on this. Search for them.

Reactions: groovidad
Currently I have to unlock the phone and sometimes have to manually open the Tesla app for the car to be able to unlock. My blue tooth is on the whole time.
How do you make it just walk up to it and car auto unlocks?

What phone do you have? should be helpful to know. I know some people have had difficulty with their bluetooth communicating for Unlock. I'm also using an iPhone X and it's hardly ever a problem. When I do have a problem it's because we have two Teslas and if I don't have the app set to my car it doesn't communicate to unlock so before leaving the house I check. Also sometimes in general I've experienced a communication issue with the car not waking up. On my iPhone I also make sure that in Settings my Tesla app is set to Location Always on. The Background App Refresh is grayed out but set to on. I also have Cellular turned on.

I guess I should have first asked if you have your phone authenticated and visible in the key list on your car (Controls > Locks). Otherwise authenticating your phone as key would be first to do.

Another question would be Where do you keep your phone? Some have reported keeping in their back pocket as they approach the car seems to block the signal. My phone is usually buried in my purse on the way out and has worked fine from there.

My son and I have the same brand Android phone, in fact the same model. The 1st generation one will open the doors but there is always a 3-5 second delay. The newer 2nd generation one opens the car instantly.

As others have already mentioned, it will depends on you phone.

Reactions: nicholb and karn101
You didn’t say if you have an iPhone or Android. I have an iPhone X and it never fails, at home or away. No need to take the phone out of my front pocket. Just walk up, open the door, put it in gear, and drive away.
my wife's will do that I think because she has a X....I have iPhone 6 plus.....have trouble about 85% of the time and need to a least pull phone out of my back pocket...mayabe getting new phone

You didn’t say if you have an iPhone or Android. I have an iPhone X and it never fails, at home or away. No need to take the phone out of my front pocket. Just walk up, open the door, put it in gear, and drive away.

Same here. The biggest problem I have is that the charging cable often doesn’t unlock until I open a door, but the doors always open without needing to do anything with the phone.

It genuinely helps to have a clear understanding of bluetooth, obstacles, and range. For example, having my iPhone X in my back pocket when walking up to the car sometimes causes it to not know I'm there -- that's because my body is between the phone and the car. The strength and support of the bluetooth on your device and the location of the device will always be a factor. It's not just the proximity to the car.

This is why some people with newer phones have less of a problem, but still can have a problem.

Knowing exactly how these things work helps make it seem like less of a mythical crazy occasional thing - or worse, a bug - and more into the realm of understanding the anomalous behavior. I used to think the car was acting buggy with the bluetooth key unlock until I realized that simply carrying my phone in the front pocket worked every time (for me, anyway, and my device).

I'd hate to recommend you get a newer phone but hopefully this helps somewhat.

My phone (Nokia 7.1 with latest Android) nearly always shows "connected" while in the house. Nonetheless, I have to take it out of my pocket and usually turn it on in order to unlock and especially to start. My wife's Samsung Note 5 with an older Android OS (N?) works well, but likes to turn off Bluetooth randomly a few times a day. I haven't tracked down a reason for that yet.

Make sure the phone isn't shutting down Bluetooth or the Tesla app to save power.

I used to have this problem on my Android, but then I took the steps that trace specified above and that resolved the issue. Door opens instantly ever since without having to touch the phone except it occasionally forces me to use the card key instead for some unknown reason.

Reactions: trace