Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does every clean their model 3? Is Automatic car wash a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a link to the foam king deluxe car wash sprayer? I’m not seeing it in the Amazon app.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GDSRTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's now unavailable, rip... probably just out of stock. On Adam's website, they sell their own foam gun for hoses... here is the link, I'm sure it will work just as well... it's more expensive though, but maybe it works even better. The amazon one works really well at creating foam though.

standard foam gun: Adam's Polishes Standard Foam Gun with Ultra Foam Shampoo 16oz | Safe Car Washing

premium foam gun: Adam's Polishes Foam Gun With Ultra Foam Shampoo 16oz | Foam Gun Washing

Yeah, when I bought my Tesla I thought I was going to be the guy that kept it clean all the time and hand-washed it, etc. Turns out I'm not that guy. But still looks great to me, which is what counts. :)

I’m in that same boat. I’m past caring about micro scratches that no one will notice. I get a waxing two or three times a year and then use reputable automatic car washes in between. Car looks great.

Reactions: jrad6515
I hand wash it myself. Full process is as follows:
1. Rinse the car with my pressure washer.
2. Soap with a foam cannon and Chemical Guys honeydew foam car wash. Then wash with the two bucket method.
3. Scrub wheels, wheel wells, tires.
4. Rinse with the Simple Chuck water de-ionizer (really does keep the car spot free -- even if it's sitting out on a hot day)
5. When dry -- every 2-3 months I'll wax with Natty's Blue Paste Wax. Every 6 months I'll clay bar, polish if needed, apply paint protectant (currently using JetSeal) and then wax.

Takes a lot of time but I really enjoy it. Used roughly the same process on my previous 2006 Infiniti G35 and it still looks almost new after 13 years. The only difference with the Teslas is that polishing is far more difficult and much more micro-swirl prone. I've got the hang of it now but it took me a few attempts.

Yeah, when I bought my Tesla I thought I was going to be the guy that kept it clean all the time and hand-washed it, etc. Turns out I'm not that guy. But still looks great to me, which is what counts. :)
(Un)luckily I'm still that guy. Whole 9 yards. Hand wash, pressure washer, foam cannon, 2 bucket method...Considering how much I paid for PPF and ceramic coating, I figured I better keep it looking good! Plus, the 1.5 hours it takes to do everything, it gives me time to catch up on some podcasts and take a small break from my 3 year old ;)

Had 3 coats of ceramic applied. Use 2 bucket method. In a pinch, if you really had to, you could use an auto wash BUT, if you use it frequently, you will get swirl marks on your finish. I would also say, the ceramic coating does make washing easier AND I don't have to wash as often, as most of the rain and debris accumulated sheets off during driving.

Electric pressure washer with a deionizer and chemical guys honeydew snow foam soap via a foam lance. Then just leave in garage to air dry after rinsing. Works great!

Can you please tell me which pressure washer and deionizer you are using? I assume it eliminates water spots from hard water? I have very hard water and gearing up for the first wash on my new M3. Thanks.

Can you please tell me which pressure washer and deionizer you are using? I assume it eliminates water spots from hard water? I have very hard water and gearing up for the first wash on my new M3. Thanks.

I have a cheap SunJoe electric pressure washer (the basic model without the hose reel). The deionizer is the Double Chuck deionizer from Simple Chuck.

Still manage to use the Mr. Clean I purchased so long ago. Soak, rinse, and spray with filtered water for spotless air drying

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006M56CE

183925_ts.jpg

I still hand wash the car, although when it is too cold in the winter I will go to car washes. I think touchless is best, but it simply cannot disturb the dirt well enough to get the car clean. I'm the sort who must have a spotless windshield, after a day or two of rainy weather when you start noticing the wiper marks and the dirt they miss, it bothers me. And now that we are getting into spring, if a bug hits and smears on the windshield and the wipers and sprayers only make it worse, I can't live with that, I have to clean it properly!

All this talk of "filtered" water really means reverse osmosis filtration, to get the spotless rinse water.

I still hand wash with Meguiers carnuba wash/wax. Old school, I know. But it does a pretty decent job. Follow it up with the Meguiers Ultimate Quick Detailer spray and you have showroom quality look. Regular H2O out of the hose with no filtration and we have fairly hard water so it's important to dry quickly.

My car gets washed weekly with:
Electric power washer, two bucket method, foam cannon, you get the idea. I’m not a huge fan of automatic car washes...they just don’t get a car clean enough. And the ones with spinning bits scratch the paint. (I refused many free washes from BMW back when I owned BMWs...they would trash the paint).

By far the best drying towel on the planet, this picks all of the water up and makes your job quick. I posted all of my washing stuff on another thread. Basically the Tri-nova foam canon with Tri-nova car shampoo & conditioner, this will leave your car super clean and shiny also Eagle One Nanowax. Leaves the car in showroom finish and it’s so easy to apply and remove.

Chemical Guys MIC_781_01 Waffle Weave Gray Matter 70/30 Blend Microfiber Drying Towel with Silk Edging (25 in. x 36 in.) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQYCIVI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oUfHEbT4TVAJE

Fred

Mothers California Gold Carnuba Wash & Wax. That's the soap I've been hand washing with since last year when the previous bottle ran out. I never remember the name, I just know it is the yellow soap.

I'm not recommending or endorsing it, I don't know if it is excessively good or bad, that's just the bottle I grabbed at Advance Auto Parts last spring.