Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla track bugs vs releases?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic has been mentioned before, but I still find it terribly opaque. How does Tesla track bugs? How do they perform software merges? How do they target releases for specific bug fixes? It all serms very mysterious as opposed to my experience with open source software such as gcc.

For example, there is currently a bug in 2020.48.30 where Cabin Overheat Protection does not work as per its documentation. How do I find out how Tesla is tracking this bug, and which release is targeted for the fix?

Is this level of transparency too much to ask for?

At a guess, non-critical bugs may be ordered, but probably don't have a fix target. They just get worked on when the critical list is empty/blocked or a less experienced engineer is free. Ideally, they write a testcase for the bug, add this to the regression list and merge the fix (probably just for new branches).

Assuming that there are at least 4 or 5 different code branches in development at any time, it is quite time consuming to try and apply one fix to all versions that are released in any form - so I assume they try and avoid this. However, nobody really knows - I don't think there is very much visibility of this in the released firmware.