Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the lane departure warning make the rumble?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be the electric power steering. The component can steer the car (and will when the software is ready), so shaking the wheel a bit shouldn't pose too much trouble.

Directional noise could come from the audio system.

I always assumed it was like the vibrate on your phone: an imbalanced weight that is rotated on a small electric motor.

Perhaps, but is it just me or does it feel like it comes from the right or left of the car as appropriate? I'm wondering where it physically is located (and are there actually two of them)? Or is that all in my head (the directionality)? Passengers can hear it at least, I'm going to ask if they can feel it and tell which direction it is coming from.

Perhaps, but is it just me or does it feel like it comes from the right or left of the car as appropriate? I'm wondering where it physically is located (and are there actually two of them)? Or is that all in my head (the directionality)? Passengers can hear it at least, I'm going to ask if they can feel it and tell which direction it is coming from.

I think that may be in your head. Almost certain it comes from the steering wheel assembly itself. I've asked many passengers if they can feel it--they all say they can't.

I can feel it from the side of the wheel that I'm crossing the line on. I don't think it's on my head, because my wife feels it too.

As a passenger I can hear it, but not feel it.

I can feel it from the side of the wheel that I'm crossing the line on. I don't think it's on my head, because my wife feels it too.

As a passenger I can hear it, but not feel it.

At least I'm not the only one. The thing is, when it happens, and I'm not looking at the road, I know which way to turn before looking. Perhaps it is because it rumbles on the correct side, or perhaps it is because I'm already aware of which side I'm likely drifting towards.