TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How does the lane departure warning make the rumble?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by kirkbauer, Jul 2, 2015.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

It literally feels like you are driving on a rumble strip and from the correct side of the vehicle. Does anybody know how the rumbling is physically accomplished? I haven't experienced this in any other vehicle before.

2. JER

JER Member

It could be the electric power steering. The component can steer the car (and will when the software is ready), so shaking the wheel a bit shouldn't pose too much trouble.

Directional noise could come from the audio system.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I always assumed it was like the vibrate on your phone: an imbalanced weight that is rotated on a small electric motor.

4. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Perhaps, but is it just me or does it feel like it comes from the right or left of the car as appropriate? I'm wondering where it physically is located (and are there actually two of them)? Or is that all in my head (the directionality)? Passengers can hear it at least, I'm going to ask if they can feel it and tell which direction it is coming from.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I think that may be in your head. Almost certain it comes from the steering wheel assembly itself. I've asked many passengers if they can feel it--they all say they can't.

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I can feel it from the side of the wheel that I'm crossing the line on. I don't think it's on my head, because my wife feels it too.

As a passenger I can hear it, but not feel it.

7. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

At least I'm not the only one. The thing is, when it happens, and I'm not looking at the road, I know which way to turn before looking. Perhaps it is because it rumbles on the correct side, or perhaps it is because I'm already aware of which side I'm likely drifting towards.

8. MileHighMotoring

All I know is I feel really strange touching a white line in another car and NOT feeling it. It's a slap back to reality that I'm driving a non-Tesla non-Awesome car.