Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance & Forward Collision Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but it is not FSD. it is EAP
The car is equipped with the FSD computer and its been paid for and activated, It was NOA on the out journey and return, I have no idea how the software differs between the terms used and just what software bits its uses - if anything is different at all, ( I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing autopilot, EAP and FSD to compare) there has to be some difference for Tesla to charge £6.8K over £3.4K, My car is FSD activated so that's the term I use, in your book then i may as well just say autopilot engaged - why even say EAP?

I really don't understand how some people are so pedantic about irrelevance, Its clear you, and everyone else fully understood exactly what I've said - you know when i said FSD - that I have paid for the full autopilot package - irrespective of whether its any good or different from EAP - and the point of language is that its to be able to communicate - so I feel I've communicated effectively - whereas you just seem to want to pick a fight over nothing at all.
I also say things like the Sun has gone in - but its gone in nowhere, I'm from Leicester and say MeDuck - but I'm not calling people a duck, we also have Cobs - crusty bread - but I don't lambast those that call them Baps, rolls, batches, sandwiches.
@MrBadger hit the nail on the head and yet you still want to argue its a technicality, Ill bet your a real fun guy to be around. (feel free to pick holes in the word "Fun" because you know i dont mean that.

The car is equipped with the FSD computer and its been paid for and activated, It was NOA on the out journey and return, I have no idea how the software differs between the terms used and just what software bits its uses - if anything is different at all, ( I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing autopilot, EAP and FSD to compare) there has to be some difference for Tesla to charge £6.8K over £3.4K, My car is FSD activated so that's the term I use, in your book then i may as well just say autopilot engaged - why even say EAP?

I really don't understand how some people are so pedantic about irrelevance, Its clear you, and everyone else fully understood exactly what I've said - you know when i said FSD - that I have paid for the full autopilot package - irrespective of whether its any good or different from EAP - and the point of language is that its to be able to communicate - so I feel I've communicated effectively - whereas you just seem to want to pick a fight over nothing at all.
I also say things like the Sun has gone in - but its gone in nowhere, I'm from Leicester and say MeDuck - but I'm not calling people a duck, we also have Cobs - crusty bread - but I don't lambast those that call them Baps, rolls, batches, sandwiches.
@MrBadger hit the nail on the head and yet you still want to argue its a technicality, Ill bet your a real fun guy to be around. (feel free to pick holes in the word "Fun" because you know i dont mean that.
NOA is part of EAP.

there is no FSD in UK. system is not working. hardware is there - but software part of it is not working.

FSD is different code. different behaviour (should be)

Reactions: Mark62
I have precisely the opposite problem. I got my M3P last weekend, and I can’t get it to warn about anything. I’ve rebooted, and carefully checked all the settings, but still nothing. I went out this evening on a back road and gradually drifted over the line, and no warning at all. Tried all kinds of scenarios and got no warning. Ever. Sometimes the line I was drifting over would turn blue, so it does know that I’m leaving my lane. But no warning ever.

I drove a friend’s M3LR and got plenty of warnings when appropriate.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.
A back road road with lanes? Ah, you’re not in the UK or Ireland (which is the location of this part of the forum). Thank goodness 99% of the time when I intentionally stray over the centre line to take a corner, when it’s clear to do so, the klaxons don’t sound! Once in a blue moon they do and it’s a complete pain in the arse!

(EDIT: notice the strong language detector missed the Anglo Saxon comment!)

Well, since I currently get no warnings ever, no matter what I do, I’d be happy with a few more klaxons. I particularly want this, for my daughter, who is a good driver, but because she’s less experienced would benefit from some AI warnings.

Our old Toyota does a fine job at this, so I’m not sure why the Tesla can’t seem to match it

Nice usage of klaxons by the way.

Once in a blue moon they do
This has long baffled me. I thought maybe Tesla was using mapping data to only alert on certain road classes, but I spent some time testing this and could not find a pattern. In fact, if I deliberately stray across a line, it almost never sets off the klaxon. If I weren't such a cynic, I would say there are some 'smarts' going on to detect whether a movement across the lines is deliberate or negligent. Maybe detecting pressure in the steering wheel??

For me anyway, it does seem to work if I drift through negligence. Very rare though ;)

This has long baffled me. I thought maybe Tesla was using mapping data to only alert on certain road classes, but I spent some time testing this and could not find a pattern. In fact, if I deliberately stray across a line, it almost never sets off the klaxon.

Iirc emergency lane departure avoidance has documented (speed) parameters as to when it will trigger.

Reactions: Lee Davis
Iirc emergency lane departure avoidance has documented (speed) parameters as to when it will trigger.
It seems to work ok on motorways if there is a gradual drift. When it occurs on single carriageway or single track road (very rare) it just gives the klaxons and something like “corrective steering applied for your safety”… invariably there is no evident feeling that any actual steering has taken place other than by my own input.

works ok for me on motorways, but any change in elevation or slight curve in the road with a car parking half up the kerb, and the car goes nuts. Its actually very irritating, not because of it going off, but because the beep scares the living daylights out of me.

I think I'll turn mine down to "late"

The subtle one...
1687336404904.png

The not so subtle one
1687336493555.png

And the one that gives lots of false alarms, cars parked on verge or corner, pedestrians etc
1687336559859.png

• Informative
Reactions: Joesmoe3
Yeah, I actually checked the manual when I was testing. I was consistently testing at 50-60 MPH, so above the 64KPH they describe, and there were clear road markings, but it still never 'klaxoned' if my move was deliberate with no indication. Hence I thought there were some 'smarts' at play. Maybe my movement was too deliberate to be classed as an unconscious drift.

Reactions: Adopado
What did Tesla say when you had a service request?

I haven't made a service request.

However I popped into my local service centre last week and spoke to the manager about this and other issues (including the ongoing woeful performance of Vision based Park Assist). Re. the car panicking about the wellbeing of ped's on pavements well out if the firing line of the car he just muttered something about it being a 'feature' of the latest release(s) and was part of 'ongoing development' and wold be 'fixed in future releases' and there was 'absolutely nothing they could do' to improve matters.

So all all all, every bit as satisfactory as I expected.