Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How easy is it to adjust the max charging amps of the current Tesla Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the maximum rate of this but I may need to charge on a generator once in a while and would want to ramp the rate down to something more manageable like 20A if I'm on the generator.

I read that the WC is setup initially with the Commissioning Wizard but I haven't found any examples adjusting the charge rate afterwards. I am thinking maybe I just "recommission" it?

Wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Yes, they are slightly different. If you configured it in the wall connector again, that is a top maximum limit, and the car can't dial up above that. So you could set that to a 24A or 32A max. But in the car, (or the app, which is changing the car's setting), it is changing how much is being used out of the total. So the screen will display something less out of a larger amount, like 20/48 amps.

It's quicker and easier to use the car setting for more temporary things, but it's a little more solid and pseudo-"permanent" setting it in the wall connector.

Probably easier to try to find your local ip address using ipconfig in a windows command prompt then trying every ip in a web browser. For example if your ip is 192.168.1.12, try 192.168.1.13 and so on until 255

I would have thought Tesla had a clean way for normal people to set up their charger.
They do. The normal procedure is that you reset the wall connector, which makes it broadcast ITS OWN separate wi-fi hotspot network. It has a really obvious separate name, and you just connect directly to it with a phone or laptop. That is simple and clean.

This is some different thing that isn't normally done, where the wall connector is connected into your home router, and people are trying to find it going through there.

It's made "complicated" in the wall charger because it's supposed to be a one time setup by the electrician. It's supposed to be configured to respect the maximum of the cable and breaker, you're not supposed to change that afterwards. As others have said, the normal configuration is in the car / mobile app to choose what you pull out of the maximum available.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Guys, an electrician just installed wall connecter at my office and it’s on a 60 amp breaker and I’m only getting 36A max on the charging slider in app. Do I have to set the max current using the Tesla Pro app?

The amps the car will draw and the charge to target can also be set via Tesla's API. For example, I have Home Assistant automations that move the charge limit based on Solar Forecast and my local electric cooperative's "please don't use energy" hours. I only have a 16A charging setup in that garage (which is plenty), so I don't tend to pull the amps lower than 16, as the efficiency goes downhill pretty quick with too low of amps. On a generator, though, you may have to. Ripple voltage gets pretty ugly on my "5000W" generator if the car is continuously pulling more than about 7A (~1700W).

When you say Tesla’s API I do appreciate your technical answer, but do you mean the car is interface? :) I will definitely have a look at that but in the phone it maxed out to 36A. Thank you for your reply.

Did you turn down the amps in the app, like this:

App set for 48 amp charging:

IMG_3903.PNG

App set for 36 amp charging:

IMG_3904.PNG

Reactions: Rocky_H and easyev
Maybe the wall connecter needs a reboot? When I held the handle button down for five seconds to get the phone to recognize the connector, it was charging and started flashing random colours and things so there was definitely some confusion going on! I toggle the power and it started charging at 30. A few hours later, I moved the > over in the iPhone app to the max and it went to 36A. At that point I was like whatever it’s fine!