Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks better but the rear door is still lower than the front by a noticeable amount.

It also looks like there is some debris painted over under the rear door trim.

Yes. Not perfect but any further attempts at correction would mean trying to adjust the falcon door alignment and I'd be without the car for who knows how long.

The little black dot wipes away. Just dirt. But nice catch. ;)

Yes. Not perfect but any further attempts at correction would mean trying to adjust the falcon door alignment and I'd be without the car for who knows how long.

The little black dot wipes away. Just dirt. But nice catch. ;)
And it might not be fixable. I've got some issues after the body shop had mine, too. But there's a point at which you have to decide to be satisfied.

On the overall door alignment, I notice that varies a little from falcon wing door open and close. Maybe it's my imagination.

And it might not be fixable. I've got some issues after the body shop had mine, too. But there's a point at which you have to decide to be satisfied.

Agree, and I think spending too much time on these forums has turned us all into hypochondriacs. Looking at my Model S and my 2011 Honda Odyssey, I see quite a bit of misalignment of the brightwork/trim that's never bothered me before and isn't bothering me now. As for the X, the one misalignment pictured in my earlier post was really noticeable even from a distance, partly because it had a rotational component (due to not firmly adhering to the underlying rubber seal) that caused a significant difference in how light reflected off it. Now after 4 tries, they've got it down to just a slight up/down misalignment that is not any better or worse than all the other minor misalignments in all my cars.

So far, my local SC (+body shop) has done a fantastic job of aligning body panels. I am very, very happy with the improvements.

Brightwork is another story. There have been improvements, but the trim on the driver's door still pops out, as does the trim on my passenger-side FWD. It's a bit like Zeno's Paradox--it seems that the SC can only fix 75% of remaining problems in any one visit.

Finally, there is bumper panel alignment. Even after five weeks in total at the SC, the bumper gap still looks like the attached photos. The SC seems afraid to work on these panels, even though the current situation is egregious.

IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

Tomorrow i will go to visit the service center due to my driver's door not closing as easy as the other doors. There is also wind noise on that door.

I will also talk about misaligned passenger front door chromes.

I can report later what tesla said/did

Jonas_man - My passenger door has same problem of not closing correctly unless you slam it a bit. I can see the latch bolt is rubbing against the latch connector top portion causing some friction. I believe it's due to my entire door misaligned - kind of sagging down a bit instead of perfectly horizontal. My driver's side door does not sag and I can see the bolt is perfectly centered in the latching mechanism. It shuts fine every time. I have an appointment on 1/24 to fix.
I saw this 1 hour after I got my car delivered and brought it back to SC. Didn't see the cause of the problem yet, just the door didn't shut right. I got the following answers:

(1) Is it something you can live with?
Um, yeah, but I just paid $85K and I don't want to live with it.
(2) The passenger side door doesn't get used as much, so it's naturally harder to close.
Um, maybe, but the car is 1 hour old. Not sure that makes any sense. Never had this problem on any other car even ones that were 10 years old.
(3) The door should fix itself in a about a month.
Um, why do you think that?
(3b) Because it's a brand new car.
Um, so?

Anyway, it's been almost a month and no change, as expected.
I'm not real confident Tesla service is going to be as good as everyone says. Hope I'm wrong.

Jonas_man - My passenger door has same problem of not closing correctly unless you slam it a bit. I can see the latch bolt is rubbing against the latch connector top portion causing some friction. I believe it's due to my entire door misaligned - kind of sagging down a bit instead of perfectly horizontal. My driver's side door does not sag and I can see the bolt is perfectly centered in the latching mechanism. It shuts fine every time. I have an appointment on 1/24 to fix.
I saw this 1 hour after I got my car delivered and brought it back to SC. Didn't see the cause of the problem yet, just the door didn't shut right. I got the following answers:

(1) Is it something you can live with?
Um, yeah, but I just paid $85K and I don't want to live with it.
(2) The passenger side door doesn't get used as much, so it's naturally harder to close.
Um, maybe, but the car is 1 hour old. Not sure that makes any sense. Never had this problem on any other car even ones that were 10 years old.
(3) The door should fix itself in a about a month.
Um, why do you think that?
(3b) Because it's a brand new car.
Um, so?

Anyway, it's been almost a month and no change, as expected.
I'm not real confident Tesla service is going to be as good as everyone says. Hope I'm wrong.

I reported this some time ago and they postponed the fix for spring.
Then I reported some false positives with the autopilot.
Then I reported a trunk door opening by itself. (could be me but i doubt)
At this point they asked me to just go there, because they couldn't read my logs as my car is in the garage with 1 or 2 bars EDGE and to update my car firmware.
In the email exchange I also reported about a noise in the roof near the autopilot camera.

Regarding the Service center answers I also got in the first days that wind noise is normal. But they said the chrome alignment must be checked on the passenger's door.

It really bothers me the door not closing correctly and any extra noise.