Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast can you drive with the Falcon doors open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove an X in a parade with the doors (and trunk until we ran out of water bottles) open at 1-2 mph. It would let me close the door, but not open them while I was in drive. I had to be in park to open them. I also couldn't engage Autosteer, but that wasn't a problem at 1-2 mph.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

so what I gather from all sarcasm is that you can drive and close them while moving. I only need them to work at ~10 MPH. I don't want to hold up the carpool line if I have to close my doors every time I inch forward.

My husband does this often and it drives me crazy! The kids get in, buckle up, and before they can close the doors my husband starts driving. The car puts a big red warning on the dash to remind you that the FWDs are open and to proceed with caution, but it does let you close them while driving. He's probably always been under ~5 MPH, so I'm not sure if there's a speed limit to the capability. Just be really cautious of fingers/arms/legs inside the car getting in the way, as well as external things coming into the path of the doors.

My husband does this often and it drives me crazy! The kids get in, buckle up, and before they can close the doors my husband starts driving. The car puts a big red warning on the dash to remind you that the FWDs are open and to proceed with caution, but it does let you close them while driving. He's probably always been under ~5 MPH, so I'm not sure if there's a speed limit to the capability. Just be really cautious of fingers/arms/legs inside the car getting in the way, as well as external things coming into the path of the doors.
Wow.... I don't know that I would provide any further details as the wrong people might be reading this thread.

My wife is more forgiving of my similar actions. I only do it when I'm very very sure I won't hit anything, and the door is already closing anyway. I doubt I've got over 5mph.

so what I gather from all sarcasm is that you can drive and close them while moving. I only need them to work at ~10 MPH. I don't want to hold up the carpool line if I have to close my doors every time I inch forward.
Your loading/unloading lane is more courteous than mine. People rarely pull forward when they aren't actively loading, let alone pull forward between kids arriving at different times. And I daren't use the driver side FWD, for fear of it getting clipped by the impatient drivers darting into the open spaces left by people not pulling forward.

My suggestion: Make a dummy by stuffing your children's clothing with cucumbers. Put one in the door as it closes, and bask in your husband's horror.

It seems sensible to me to not drive any car with any of the doors open. FWDs should not be any different. If a door on a Tesla is open then it should not be possible to put the car into Drive.
Don't be silly. Maybe a speed limiter, but I just hauled a trash barrel down my driveway with the trunk lid up, not worrying about exhaust fume backwash, and should not be prevented from doing so. Also, everybody loves a parade (or is that parfait?) and how boring would it be to drive a Model X without the wings up? Tesla Model X with custom rainbow paint job for the Chicago and San Francisco Pride Parade [Gallery]