Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how fast do valets need to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder whether there's a licensing issue if they set the top speed below 70mph. The Tesla is a highway legal vehicle. Can you have a highway legal vehicle with a top speed below 55, even temporarily? What happens if you forget to disable it and then attempt to merge onto a freeway?

I wonder whether there's a licensing issue if they set the top speed below 70mph. The Tesla is a highway legal vehicle. Can you have a highway legal vehicle with a top speed below 55, even temporarily? What happens if you forget to disable it and then attempt to merge onto a freeway?
If a car were in valet mode, it would make sense to have a notice appear on-screen to remind the driver of the currently-set top speed and provide the option to end the valet mode. I agree that a top speed of 70 is waaaaay over the top. i agree with others that it should be user-set.

It might be fun (and useful) to have the screen display the driving behavior, route taken (on the map), distance traveled, and top speed of the valet in real time and maintained on screen until the owner returns to the car. A couple of valets would quickly lose their jobs, but our cars would be safer!

I’m not sure why so many here are so quick to call for such complex Valet mode settings. Not to mention the additional UI complexity would effectively be wasted effort, shouldn’t the fact that it takes nearly 9 seconds to get to 60 pretty much take all the fun out of Valet already? You really want to be able to stick it to them even further by forcing it to be driven under 30mph and potentially cause an unsafe situation?

I thought the release notes I read in my car said that it just limited to 70 MPH. I thought a lot of folks had wanted (I know I did) power-limiting as well; are you saying it is? (I'm getting a conflicting impression from various comments here).

I thought the release notes I read in my car said that it just limited to 70 MPH. I thought a lot of folks had wanted (I know I did) power-limiting as well; are you saying it is? (I'm getting a conflicting impression from various comments here).

It limits the acceleration (not sure what the power limitation is as a percentage of normal) and top speed to 70mph. IMHO we should be able to chose both the percentage of power AND the top speed.

If a car were in valet mode, it would make sense to have a notice appear on-screen to remind the driver of the currently-set top speed and provide the option to end the valet mode. I agree that a top speed of 70 is waaaaay over the top. i agree with others that it should be user-set.

Yes, but you and everyone else are assuming that Tesla can legally do this. I'm just wondering whether that's true. You can't just design a car any way you want. Does any other manufacturer do this (the feature we are talking about has absolutely nothing to do with it being an electric car, most performance cars these days have speed limiters)?