Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast is the charge for a NEMA 14-50 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few other opinions yielded a similar result. Some have indicated I should have used #6 copper instead of #8, but hindsight is 20/20 and he was within code and spec to use #8, so I can't rest on that as a fault.
Hmm. How can the line run be over-engineered when #8 NM-B/UF-B is rated for only 40A, and there's a 50A outlet on the other end?

I would have another electrician, in this case, perhaps a Tesla-certified one, look at your setup.

Hmm. How can the line run be over-engineered when #8 NM-B/UF-B is rated for only 40A, and there's a 50A outlet on the other end?

I would have another electrician, in this case, perhaps a Tesla-certified one, look at your setup.

Good point, I had read it was rated for 55... I can't find where I read that now, but when I find it again I'll link it. Other searches are yielding 40a. Even so, if its rated for 40, and all I'm ever drawing is 40, why would there be an issue?

Even still, I can just re-run the #8 with #6 myself if this turns out to be the problem. I'll try to find a Tesla certified electrician... a year ago I couldn't even get one to call me back about an install :(

Edit: Reference this thread Wire Gauge Size for 50 Amps

Last edited:
Even so, if its rated for 40, and all I'm ever drawing is 40, why would there be an issue?

Because circuit ratings are for intermittent loads, while EV charging is a continuous loads. Continuous loads can only use a maximum of 80% of the rating. To charge at 40A, you need a 50A circuit. With a 40A circuit, you can only charge at 32A.

More correctly, you can charge at 40A on a 40A circuit, but there's a good chance of tripping the breaker or worse if you do, and it's against code.

If the breaker is 50Amp and tripping at 40Amp load, I would definitely look into it ASAP.

A question to you on your original post. Is 22mph rated range charging not fast enough for you to have your car ready for the next travel window? The breaker tripping issue aside (which could be a sign of a serious issue), if the lower rate is satisfactory in terms of not waiting for the car to be ready, why would it not work for you?

Last edited:
first week when I bought My MS 70 I was charging it at the dryer's outlet with a 30 amp breaker and I had to set the car at 20amps because the breaker couldn't handle 30 amps Continuously.
If you have a 50 amp breaker you should be fine buy maybe the wires are too thin and they are overheating.. sometimes the overheating happens in a few minutes/hrs. and the breaker trips immediately after it. don't forget that the "best" thing that can happen is a breaker trips, that means the breaker is doing it's job, I highly recommend you to call an electrician, a bad Breaker/Wiring can Cause Fire in your home.

If the breaker is 50Amp and tripping at 40Amp load, I would definitely look into it ASAP.

A question to you on your original post. Is 22mph rated range charging not fast enough for you to have your car ready for the next travel window? The breaker tripping issue aside (which could be a sign of a serious issue), if the lower rate is satisfactory in terms of not waiting for the car to be ready, why would it not work for you?

That is sufficient, but if I can get it to work properly at a higher rate of charging, why not charge it at the higher rate? Is there a downside to that? I found out from my electrician that I had a faulty breaker, which he has replaced.

That is sufficient, but if I can get it to work properly at a higher rate of charging, why not charge it at the higher rate? Is there a downside to that? I found out from my electrician that I had a faulty breaker, which he has replaced.

Lower draw rate obviously puts less stress on the wiring/electric system overall. That was the point. But if problem is found and resolved, that's great!

Lower draw rate obviously puts less stress on the wiring/electric system overall. That was the point. But if problem is found and resolved, that's great!

I see the point now, thanks. Yes, it is supposedly fixed. I will find out tonight when I actually try it. I think I would still try it at 40 amps just to make sure it works fine, and if it does, then I would charge regularly at 30 amps unless I need a faster charge for some reason.

Reactions: AndreSF
What voltage is the car showing when you charge at 40A vs 30A? If the voltage sags too much the car will dial back the current on the assumption that something is getting hot and resistance is rising causing the voltage sag . It sounds like you need a new panel. If the bus side of the breaker is getting hot that is a bad thing.

If the problem develops gradually, suspect contacts or screws not tightened. If it always cuts out before reaching 40A, the extra resistance that is dropping the voltage at the car below about 190V may be a long run of too-small wire. I've encountered that twice with 120V outlets; they were rated 15A but I could not draw half that without dropping the voltage at the car below the minimum acceptable. The electrician probably skimped on the wire.

I used 3C #6 copper and a 50A SqD QO. Mine charges at 40a. It's in 3/4 plastic conduit in the garage and stapled to the joists in the house. Only 12'-15' total run. The Tesla wires get very warm which scared me at first. I don't feel any heat on my #6s or the breaker.

The "dual chargers" option is dead. Currently the default is a single 48A charger, and the upgrade option is to change that charger to a single 72A charger. They're identical hardware, and it's just a software change.

This is INCORRECT. Going from a single 48A onboard charger to the upgraded 72A single onboard charger is NOT a software upgrade. I took delivery of a MS 90D that was an inventory car on 9/26/16, and I wanted the upgraded charger option. Prior to delivery, they had to remove the old charger and install the new one that had been ordered from Fremont. They then physically showed me the old charger and said, "hey, this is what we took out of your car."

This is INCORRECT. Going from a single 48A onboard charger to the upgraded 72A single onboard charger is NOT a software upgrade. I took delivery of a MS 90D that was an inventory car on 9/26/16, and I wanted the upgraded charger option. Prior to delivery, they had to remove the old charger and install the new one that had been ordered from Fremont. They then physically showed me the old charger and said, "hey, this is what we took out of your car."

What I've been told is that it's a software upgrade for most newer production but a hardware upgrade for some production time blocks. I actually thought it was mostly some earlier Xs that needed a hardware upgrade, but I don't think which cars are which has been clearly spelled out.

Thanks for correcting and clarifying. Some do have it as a software upgrade, but clearly not all. I'll try to remember that for next time!