Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast should my 'new' 90D be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a new 90D (got good deal on service loaner) that I've had for about a month that was built I believe in May of this year.
What should I expect the 0-60 to be? I seem to pretty consistently get 4.5sec 0-60 but never better.
Considering the car was supposedly 'new' when I got it, to have 75D's rated at 4.2sec for some time now, this stings a little.
Am I just getting a bad launch or am I really limited to 4.5, even with the bigger battery (which used to have faster times) ?

Thanks!
Patrick

I just did my first Powertools 0-60 run today with my 90D that was new off the line about 3 wks ago. I ran a slight uphill, slight curved section and got 4.0 sec flat. Peaked at 450 hp on that run, but I’ve seen it as high as 480 hp.

I've got a new 90D (got good deal on service loaner) that I've had for about a month that was built I believe in May of this year.
What should I expect the 0-60 to be? I seem to pretty consistently get 4.5sec 0-60 but never better.
Considering the car was supposedly 'new' when I got it, to have 75D's rated at 4.2sec for some time now, this stings a little.
Am I just getting a bad launch or am I really limited to 4.5, even with the bigger battery (which used to have faster times) ?

Thanks!
Patrick
How do you know you are doing 0-60 in 4.5 and why do you think this measured time is accurate enough to compare to a manufacturer published spec time of a different model? If you've run multiple acceleration runs with the same measuring device in a new 75D and you're seeing 4.2 then you have a valid basis of comparison - 'til then this is conjecture.

Charge to 90% or higher. Make sure your battery is sufficiently warm. Typically you do this by going to a supercharging station or do repeated launches. Or drive aggressively. I.e. accelerate hard and regen hard. Also make sure you are not carrying around excess weight.

You should get the rated acceleration.

Under cold or low capacity state your acceleration can be slower than rated.

Reactions: croman
How do you know you are doing 0-60 in 4.5 and why do you think this measured time is accurate enough to compare to a manufacturer published spec time of a different model? If you've run multiple acceleration runs with the same measuring device in a new 75D and you're seeing 4.2 then you have a valid basis of comparison - 'til then this is conjecture.

I’m using PowerTools and comparing to a friend and his new 75d who gets 4.2 (and from what tesla states as the specs for the current 75d’s). There’s no conjecture about it.

Charge to 90% or higher. Make sure your battery is sufficiently warm. Typically you do this by going to a supercharging station or do repeated launches. Or drive aggressively. I.e. accelerate hard and regen hard. Also make sure you are not carrying around excess weight.

You should get the rated acceleration.

Under cold or low capacity state your acceleration can be slower than rated.

That’s one thing I haven’t done. I just charge to 70%. It’s odd that I get 4.5 so consistently though. I could swear that used to be one of the ‘old’ rated speeds for the model but that’s why I’m asking here.
I take it that 90d’s haven’t changed in a while and I should definitely get 4 flat?

Power tools only gets a reading every 0.25 second. There's no guarantee that your 0-60 run will start right at one of its readings, so you're losing up to 0.25 seconds at the start. Similarly, at the end, you can be at or above 60 for up to 0.25 seconds before it's recorded. So PowerTools is adding anywhere from 0 to 0.5 seconds to your run. For an accurate 0-60, you need a more precise tool.

One method I've used is to video record the instrument cluster as you do the run. Then you can step frame by frame and get an answer to about 1/30 of a second. There are also instruments you can buy to get more accurate readings.

BTW, I was very happy to record a 3.9 in my 2016 refresh 90D. (PowerTools had given me 4.25)

Reactions: vthomas