Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How has Model S changed since the debut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of right now there has not been a spotted difference between the B and D packs. Both as far as has been spotted are able to hit 135kW (note not too many superchargers have been bumped up to 135).

There many be some future power output change that the B packs are unable to hit, but for now, there is no difference.

They may be newer cells, but still software limited to help the pack last longer.

Really? I am with USAA. Took delivery 12-21-13. Did rates go up or down for 2013?

I don't understand why rates would change with the calendar year. The cars are essentially the same.

I don't have enough data points to say what happened to 2013 rates - only that they're different for 12 & 13.

I'm sure rates are driven by an actuarial analysis that incorporates claims experience by the MY as reported in the VIN.

The difference (at least between and A and B battery) is how fast you can charge at a Supercharger. A packs are limited to 90 kW. You can tell by looking at the number on the pack. You can see this by raising the car up (assuming you have air suspension) and looking at the front of the pack from the passenger's side wheel well. The part number will end with A, B, or D (I don't think anyone has seen a C--at least it's never been posted).

Thanks Jerry. I did as you suggested and spied part number 1014114-00-D.

I've used a Supercharger only once, at the mother ship in Fremont. The highest rate of charge I got was 147 mi/hr, at 362V x 164A = 59kW. There was someone plugged in to the other half of the station, which explains why it was half of rated SC power. I've never had a SC to myself, so I don't know what the pack is capable of. If I ever get the opportunity, I'll let you know.

Thanks Jerry. I did as you suggested and spied part number 1014114-00-D.

I've used a Supercharger only once, at the mother ship in Fremont. The highest rate of charge I got was 147 mi/hr, at 362V x 164A = 59kW. There was someone plugged in to the other half of the station, which explains why it was half of rated SC power. I've never had a SC to myself, so I don't know what the pack is capable of. If I ever get the opportunity, I'll let you know.

I believe the 147 mi/hr is an average. You have to set the readout to kW to get the value. Also plug into an A port if possible (they are marked on the SC) as that gets the lion's share.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be nice if, when telling people there is a difference, that you might also mention that the charge times are only about 5 minutes difference between A and B packs. The A pack only charges at 90 kW, but stays near that rate far longer than the B pack stays at its rate of 120 kW, and both packs slowly ramp down charge rate, the B pack more quickly. The B pack may be the star, for all we know, but we don't know about longevity and degeneration.

Does anyone know the difference between the A, B, and the D?

Some folks say it's much longer than five minutes. I don't have personal experience to say (mine's a B pack), so I didn't.
I haven't heard anyone say anything about what differences the D pack has. Some speculate that it will do the 135 kW charge and the B pack won't but that's not confirmed.

I don't have enough data points to say what happened to 2013 rates - only that they're different for 12 & 13.

I'm sure rates are driven by an actuarial analysis that incorporates claims experience by the MY as reported in the VIN.

All car companies use age as one element in determining insurance cost. When a car is totalled, the value is partially determined by age. I admit with Tesla, mileage may be more important factor, but the insurance models use model year as a factor (and then they usually can adjust for higher or lower mileage). So an older model year will have lower value and slightly lower insurance cost. Also as pointed out above, if there is different experience (actuarial) data from year to year, that would also change the cost of insurance. There may not be enough Tesla accident data for insurance companies to vary the rates by year (based on differences in repair cost experience).

Another thing to remember is that there is a Model Year for Tesla - from what they told me - they base it on the YEAR the car was built. Not this "Fuzzy Math" that other manufacturers do (ever seen the ad in the paper advertising a MY 2015 car and it is April 2014??????) Tesla simply makes the MY of a car the year it is built in. Much easier to understand, and no "fuzzy math" to figure out.

Another thing that TESLA does that sets them apart - for the better - than the rest!